: Rattle/Ticking sound?

pmanzell
04-21-08, 10:19 PM
I have a rattle/ticking noise in my 07 ESV that seems to begin around 50 mph and gets slightly worse above that speed. It is coming from the drive side dash\floorboard area. Anyone had a similar problem?

2005Platinum
04-23-08, 08:29 AM
Are you sure it's not coming from the NAV system? It seems to periodically read the DVD and make a ticking/hum kind of noise. Very distracting in my 2005, thought it would be fixed in the 2008 I bought - but I have the same annoying noise. I should have asked for the NAV DVD to be loaded when I test drove it, but I forgot. Thinking about trading in for an 09 later this year, and I will definitely remember next time.

nhernandez1616
04-23-08, 09:41 AM
I have a rattle/ticking noise in my 07 ESV that seems to begin around 50 mph and gets slightly worse above that speed. It is coming from the drive side dash\floorboard area. Anyone had a similar problem?

I have a very similar problem in my 07 EXT but it happens at almost all speeds. It sounds like its something from the suspension is loose but it is at the exact same spot you described. I can feel it sometimes when my foot is rested on the floorboard. I am probably going to be stopping by the dealer to have them look at it.

Anyone else have any thoughts??

hcvone
04-23-08, 10:11 AM
A slight balance problem causing some shaking and rattling something under the dash, check that you do not have a rock in your tire tread, it sounds strange, but can happen.

pmanzell
04-25-08, 11:33 PM
I am certian that it is not the nav unit. Nhernandez1616, it sounds like we have the same exact issue. I agree that it almost sounds like a suspension noise but it almost sounds like it is within the interior very close to the firewall. I noticed tonight that is does occur as slower speeds which makes it even more annoying. Please send me a note if you get a diagnosis as I have alot of trouble getting by the dealer. Thanks!

shoeless8
04-26-08, 12:16 AM
I think it may be covered under a new TSB to replace your springs. I have an '07 Denali and have had it back to my GMC dealer several times since January for a rubbing/knocking/whumping noise, especially at slow speeds, in the left front. It only seemed to occur when it was warm and of course the dealer service could not replicate. Finally had it happen recently during a warm spell and I drove to the dealer, got my service advisor and service manager to hear it immediatley. Mechanic could not replace when I brought it in the next day, only seemed to happen when warmed up. Took it home only to have the noise (now with a feeling of bumping in the floorboard) reappear immediately. They replaced my left strut last Friday as that was all they could think of, and tried to play it off as a "normal" sound, but keeping the customer happy, yet questioning my sensitivity to sounds. Called the dealer on Monday to advise sound still there, bring it in on Tuesday morning and my advisor cannot hear it as it was very slight. They found some shields missing a screw, filled them in, and I drove off to work unhappy as they said, that might be it. At lunch I was determined to get the noise again and drove around for 10 minutes in the 80+ heat and voila the noise was back, took it to the adisor who again heard the sound. They kept the car overnight as they now thought it was a hose rubbing, but wanted to make sure. Thursday pm, my advisor leaves me a voicemail explaining (in an apologetic tone) that there was a brand new TSB for Denalis (and I would assume Escalade) and they would have to replace both my front springs. I dropped off the dealer loaner, picked up my Denali and await my new springs. They are on order right now and I look forward to seeing my advisor (he had left by the tme I returned the loaner) when my srings are in. I do not have the TSB# or any other details, but once I go in, I will try to get it out of them.

Hope this helps, and I apologize for the long response, but I went through a lot of grief to get to this point of fixing it, I hope.

shoeless8
05-03-08, 10:29 AM
As a follow up, the TSB is non VIN specific. GM Engineering has found this rattle problem in Denalis and recommended fix is to replace both springs. My dealer performed the service, and the noise still was there. They went ahead and replaced the right strut as well and for now, no rattle or thumping in the left front. So at 10K miles, I have had both front struts and springs replaced under warranty. My truck is back to normal sounds.