: Is it ok..........

Tommy Deville
04-21-08, 06:57 PM
To add a quart of ATF to the N* right b4 an oil change & run it hardcore?

Submariner409
04-21-08, 07:04 PM
There is absolutely no need to attempt that sort of "engine flush". If you are anywhere near on time/mileage for oil changes, the oil itself and the PCV system will do an excellent job of keeping the guts clean. Take a long, hard flashlight look down the chaincase, through the oil fill cap opening. Anything in there other than amber-colored oil drops and pools? Good to go. If it ain't broke, don't (try) to fix it.......

urbanski
04-21-08, 07:05 PM
just do this
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/138067-omg-unbelievable.html

Tommy Deville
04-21-08, 07:10 PM
just do this
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/138067-omg-unbelievable.html

Ummmmm u were kidding, right??

Submariner409
04-21-08, 07:10 PM
:sneaky:........urb, You're positively evil

Ranger
04-21-08, 09:12 PM
Years ago I used to put a qt of trans fluid in every oil change. I agree with Sub, probably not necessary anymore. O doubt it would hurt anything though. I'd definitely stay away from the Coke though.:helpless:

krimson_cardnal
04-21-08, 09:15 PM
Spring HAS sprung! Totally insane!!!! Just saw that idea for a gas tank over on the Seville Eldo forum. K_C

zonie77
04-21-08, 09:36 PM
I used to add some ATF ( 1/2 a qt) and drive it a day or two, but that was years ago. I haven't done that for quite a while. Newer oils are better and changing at 2500-3500 miles keeps the engine pretty clean also. I haven't seen a newer engine sludged up like some of the old ones.

Why are you thinking of doing that?

Submariner409
04-21-08, 10:18 PM
Look at this thread another way: Pouring a quart of DEXRON III into the crankcase is probably no better or worse for the engine than doing the same with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. The MMO flush has been around since before I was born. No kidding: MMO has been around, and well used, since back in the 20's!

......but, with modern lubricants, is it really necessary ??

Destroyer
04-22-08, 12:09 AM
Ummmmm u were kidding, right??Of course he was kidding, everyone knows Pepsi works better!.:suspect:

codewize
04-22-08, 12:48 AM
Does anyone listen when I speak?

Ok then listen now.

The oil lifecycle:

Fill crankcase with 10w-30 leaving about 1/2 quart low. And I don't care what you drive, put 10W-30 in it and stop whining
Add 1/2 quart of Lucas
Drive keeping oil almost full
The day before your next oil change add 1/2 quart of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil)
Next day, drain and start over.

The MMO will do any necessary cleaning during that one day of driving. The Lucas on the refill of course makes for better lubrication and stability. This has been my ritual for over 20 years.

This is flawless methodology and can't hurt a darn thing.

zonie77
04-22-08, 01:09 AM
Submariner, MMO actually seems close to ATF. I'll have to pour some of each into glasses and see if I can even tell the difference!

Back in the day, they were both good for sticky lifters or sludged engines. You are the right age to remember when people bad mouthed detergent oil. I did some testing myself and learned detergent oil is great.

zonie77
04-22-08, 01:12 AM

I think I hear some noises when I'm quiet! :histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

Your method is just what I used to do with no ill effects. I just haven't seen the need for it lately. That's why I asked why he wanted to do it.

krimson_cardnal
04-22-08, 11:26 AM
Submariner, MMO actually seems close to ATF. I'll have to pour some of each into glasses and see if I can even tell the difference!

Back in the day, they were both good for sticky lifters or sludged engines. You are the right age to remember when people bad mouthed detergent oil. I did some testing myself and learned detergent oil is great.

Now I'll go out on a limb and ask - Are you going to drink the MMO and ATF? And did you wash your socks in the detergent oil???? :bonkers: K_C

codewize
04-23-08, 12:42 AM
:histeric:

Now I'll go out on a limb and ask - Are you going to drink the MMO and ATF? And did you wash your socks in the detergent oil???? :bonkers: K_C

Tommy Deville
04-23-08, 01:16 AM

Ok then listen now.

The oil lifecycle:

Fill crankcase with 10w-30 leaving about 1/2 quart low. And I don't care what you drive, put 10W-30 in it and stop whining
Add 1/2 quart of Lucas
Drive keeping oil almost full
The day before your next oil change add 1/2 quart of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil)
Next day, drain and start over.

The MMO will do any necessary cleaning during that one day of driving. The Lucas on the refill of course makes for better lubrication and stability. This has been my ritual for over 20 years.

This is flawless methodology and can't hurt a darn thing.

I'm a great beliver of Lucas myself, I add Lucas when the oil is low, I also use a gallon of Lucas in my 2 cat 3126 desiel engines. I'm convinced Lucas saved one of those motors when I threw a rod & dropped a vavle on 95N in Rhode Island during a 20* day.

Sometimes cause I have it on hand & i'm in need of a quart or two of oil I will add diesel grade Mobil Delvac or rotella, I find it always quiets the motor a little bit.

I asked about the ATF flush because I've been very lazy with my oil changing this winter, I don't do many miles & haven't changed it since October, I've been using my Tracker or my 4runner the past few months.

I've been in need of an inspection for like a month or so among other things & just havent gotten around to dropping it off @ the mechanic, I have a trunk full of new parts I wanted them to put in, front struts rotors, need a brake line fixed 4 wheel alignment & front tires to be exact. I keep saying this week, or next week & haven't done so yet. But I imagine I will be doing it soon.

Tommy Deville
04-25-08, 05:53 PM
So, I was mentioning how I needed to have a bunch of work done on my Deville, I dropped it off yesterday & here are the results.

Complete set of front struts installed (Purchased from, Strut masters I supplied them)
2 outter tie rods
2 brake rotors (cust supplied)
new right side brake line
4 new tires
4 wheel alignment
Oil Change
NYS inspection

Total cost for all parts & labor
$1378.00

Let me tell you it was so worth it, the car is so tight, rides so nice again, better than when I first bought it. & my brakes are FANTASTIC!

krimson_cardnal
04-25-08, 07:26 PM
That sounds good, labor/parts numbers would be nice to see. Clincher is the "FANTASTIC" part. A really happy camper is happy even if he has to pay for the weekend. So did you add your ATF to the crank before the oil change? Personally I feel it's much more important to be sure to do an oil change on a hot engine - no real need to add any thing to it IMO. K_C

Tommy Deville
04-26-08, 12:02 AM
That sounds good, labor/parts numbers would be nice to see. Clincher is the "FANTASTIC" part. A really happy camper is happy even if he has to pay for the weekend. So did you add your ATF to the crank before the oil change? Personally I feel it's much more important to be sure to do an oil change on a hot engine - no real need to add any thing to it IMO. K_C

Break down is as Follows:

4 tires $90 x 4= $360 (Generals)
2 tie rods $35 each x2=70 add $10 each side for labor $20
Front Struts with shipping was $486
2 front rotors $42.00 x 2= $84.00
labor to install Struts & rotors $125
brake line parts & Labor $125
oil change $26.00
NYS Inspection $37.00
Hand wash, wax, shampoo carpets/mats & leather cleaner/conditioner $45
TOTAL
$1378