: Sneaky SOBs

elvin315
04-21-08, 01:49 AM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/4/24apr19-caring-too-much.jpg

Two cops, with LIDAR, in a horse trailer. Must be they've won the wars on drugs and terrorism in their jurisdiction.

Elvin

CateraMV6
04-21-08, 11:30 AM
wow... effin a"S"hoes...

I guess the only way to win is to drive at speeds allowed... no other way to fight that war...

dkozloski
04-21-08, 11:34 AM
They say it's the dumbest 1% of the criminals that are actually incarcerated. Maybe the same thing applies to speeders. It's quite a blow to your pride when you finally get nabbed after years of driving too fast. Kudos to the police who can think of ways to throw the book at those among us who are scofflaws.

Jesda
04-21-08, 11:37 AM
Dkoz wants to get pounded in prison.

Parking on the shoulder isnt exactly safe. They should find a place to move the trailer further out.

CIWS
04-21-08, 11:57 AM
:postpics:

C&C
04-21-08, 12:21 PM
Parking on the shoulder isnt exactly safe. They should find a place to move the trailer further out.

+1 They are now part of the problem.

dkozloski
04-21-08, 01:22 PM
Dkoz wants to get pounded in prison.

Parking on the shoulder isn't exactly safe. They should find a place to move the trailer further out.
They're beyond the fog line and clear off the pavement. They're probably trespassing on private property.

Blackout
04-21-08, 02:18 PM
Well I notice with the pic that the OP posted that it was taken in Europe somewhere. I don't think cops can do that in the U.S. and even if that is the case I'm sure they will still find a way around it

EcSTSatic
04-21-08, 02:47 PM
There's something fishy about that pic. Why are they faced the wrong way on the shoulder? I smell a Photoshop job.

Playdrv4me
04-21-08, 02:49 PM
No they can not. I have had this argument with a friend before and if I'm right I'd appreciate knowing law or code it is that I'm referring to because I always lose it, but as AS FAR AS I KNOW, a police officer doing traffic duty is not allowed to "hide". One way or another he must be visible, even if a tiny bit, and for some number of distance.

I've seen them be very creative, but I've never seen a cop outright HIDING behind a sign like they show in the movies. If nothing else it might just be the limitations of their hardware, perhaps it is not any kind of regulation at all.

Playdrv4me
04-21-08, 02:50 PM
There's something fishy about that pic. Why are they faced the wrong way on the shoulder? I smell a Photoshop job.

Because its Europe?

Blackout
04-21-08, 02:52 PM
No they can not. I have had this argument with a friend before and if I'm right I'd appreciate knowing law or code it is that I'm referring to because I always lose it, but as AS FAR AS I KNOW, a police officer doing traffic duty is not allowed to "hide". One way or another he must be visible, even if a tiny bit, and for some number of distance.

I've seen them be very creative, but I've never seen a cop outright HIDING behind a sign like they show in the movies. If nothing else it might just be the limitations of their hardware, perhaps it is not any kind of regulation at all.

I know in NJ when State Troopers are chilling out in the middle or side of the road they have to at least have their parking lights on when it is dark out.

Blackout
04-21-08, 02:53 PM
Because its Europe?

lulz :histeric:

elvin315
04-21-08, 04:48 PM
They say it's the dumbest 1% of the criminals that are actually incarcerated. Maybe the same thing applies to speeders. It's quite a blow to your pride when you finally get nabbed after years of driving too fast. Kudos to the police who can think of ways to throw the book at those among us who are scofflaws.

Gee, thanks for the lecture. Must be nice to be you. When I speed and get caught I thank the officer, wish him or her a nice day and pay my fine. It's the price I pay.

My point regarding this picture was that with all the truly heinous crime in the world wouldn't a single, openly parked and marked, patrol car and officer be a better deterrent and use of resources than 2 officers manning 1 LIDAR unit, an SUV tow vehicle, and maybe 1 or 2 pursuit cars parked down the road?

If the object is to enforce safety then the visible presence of a police car will slow traffic. Anyone not heeding the message will be stopped and ticketed by said patrol car. The elaborate speed trap displayed here is a revenue collection device and nothing more.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/4/23apr19-caring-too-much.jpg

Elvin

EcSTSatic
04-21-08, 05:01 PM
:yeah: More areas are going to "dummy" setups for just that reason. Clear sight and audible warnings work to achieve the ultimate goal to slow traffic down.

dkozloski
04-21-08, 05:22 PM
I've been seeing dummy plywood cutouts of patrol cars behind billboards all my life. It's an idea that works.

I can't help being tickled when a sore loser scofflaw gets nabbed. You can't get caught if you aren't breaking the law in the first place. If you complain, you wind up looking worse yourself. Traffic enforcement is a game of measures and counter-measures. That's the impetus behind RADAR detectors.

Playdrv4me
04-21-08, 05:28 PM
I've been seeing dummy plywood cutouts of patrol cars behind billboards all my life. It's an idea that works.

I can't help being tickled when a sore loser scofflaw gets nabbed. You can't get caught if you aren't breaking the law in the first place. If you complain, you wind up looking worse yourself. Traffic enforcement is a game of measures and counter-measures. That's the impetus behind RADAR detectors.

I've seen the dummy cutouts, I've even seen real live patrol cars sitting there unmanned, but I have NEVER seen a genuine stakeout behind a damn billboard or obstruction completely hidden from view Koz, and I drive alot, even for a youngen.

I'm not sure if you were countering my point or not, but I know what I have seen all over the midwest, south, northeast and southeast. I've just never seen a completely hidden patrol car or motor bike period.

Blackout
04-21-08, 06:06 PM
I've seen the dummy cutouts, I've even seen real live patrol cars sitting there unmanned, but I have NEVER seen a genuine stakeout behind a damn billboard or obstruction completely hidden from view Koz, and I drive alot, even for a youngen.

I'm not sure if you were countering my point or not, but I know what I have seen all over the midwest, south, northeast and southeast. I've just never seen a completely hidden patrol car or motor bike period.

For awhile the Trenton PD would leave a car in a parking lot facing Route 29 and they threw a blow up doll dressed up as an officer in the drivers seat. That did the trick. But i've been seeing more and more police departments just dumping a patrol car somewhere and nobody in it

dkozloski
04-21-08, 06:09 PM

How the hell could you see it if it was completely hidden? They're just smarter than you are. How do you know for sure they aren't all over the place if you can't see them. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they ain't after you.

Playdrv4me
04-21-08, 08:39 PM
How the hell could you see it if it was completely hidden? They're just smarter than you are. How do you know for sure they aren't all over the place if you can't see them. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they ain't after you.

Because I'm extremely perceptive. And if there was one HIDING behind a building or billboard, you'd still SEE IT when you drove BY. By far the SNARKIEST ones are the ones that sit on highway OVERpasses. Those I miss occasionally, but I mean, you're on a relatively straight road, if they are there, you're going to pass by, through or around them. I'm constantly looking in every direction, "planning" every 300ft. of road in advance, that's just the nature of how I drive. What can I say, speed limits are constricting. Radar detectors are worthless to me as well.

The best part is, my "paranoia" results in me being 100 times more alert than your average coffee sipping Yayhoo at full speed. I anticipate obstacles before they're even there. If everyone drove this way we'd all get where we're going faster and not run into shit, and eachother. I realize you've reached that age where it doesn't matter when you get where you get Koz, but some of us still care what time it is.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-21-08, 08:57 PM
For awhile the Trenton PD would leave a car in a parking lot facing Route 29 and they threw a blow up doll dressed up as an officer in the drivers seat. That did the trick. But i've been seeing more and more police departments just dumping a patrol car somewhere and nobody in it

They have been doing a major construction job on I-88 by my house and the state troopers have done something like this, but with a twist. They will park a patrol car on the side of the road and leave it there for about a week, completely empty. After that week, they will replace the empty patrol car that everyone has become accustomed to with a real one with a cop sitting in it. Its a bastardly little con, but it works and it keeps the workers safe.

Playdrv4me
04-21-08, 08:58 PM
They have been doing a major construction job on I-88 by my house and the state troopers have done something like this, but with a twist. They will park a patrol car on the side of the road and leave it there for about a week, completely empty. After that week, they will replace the empty patrol car that everyone has become accustomed to with a real one with a cop sitting in it. Its a bastardly little con, but it works and it keeps the workers safe.

OK, that sucks, but I gotta give em props on that one!

dkozloski
04-21-08, 09:43 PM
Because I'm extremely perceptive. And if there was one HIDING behind a building or billboard, you'd still SEE IT when you drove BY. By far the SNARKIEST ones are the ones that sit on highway OVERpasses. Those I miss occasionally, but I mean, you're on a relatively straight road, if they are there, you're going to pass by, through or around them. I'm constantly looking in every direction, "planning" every 300ft. of road in advance, that's just the nature of how I drive. What can I say, speed limits are constricting. Radar detectors are worthless to me as well.

The best part is, my "paranoia" results in me being 100 times more alert than your average coffee sipping Yayhoo at full speed. I anticipate obstacles before they're even there. If everyone drove this way we'd all get where we're going faster and not run into shit, and eachother. I realize you've reached that age where it doesn't matter when you get where you get Koz, but some of us still care what time it is.
My problem is that I'm speed crazy and always have been. It took almost 70 years but I've finally moderated a little.

Playdrv4me
04-21-08, 11:29 PM
My problem is that I'm speed crazy and always have been. It took almost 70 years but I've finally moderated a little.

I'm just giving you a hard time. You have that way of making me flare up at times and then I feel bad for arguing cause I know you're just sitting there laughing at me :p

dkozloski
04-21-08, 11:51 PM
It wouldn't be any fun to provoke people if they didn't react.

Blackout
04-22-08, 10:23 AM
It wouldn't be any fun to provoke people if they didn't react.

You and I would get a long just fine:thumbsup:

MauiV
04-22-08, 03:00 PM
Anyone that has driven I-10 just West of downtown New Orleans will know that in Kenner, LA there was a white Crown Vic permanantly parked in the median between 2 overpass rises. I NEVER saw a person in it but it did do quite a good job of slowing traffic.

BTW, white Crown Vics, Grang Marquis and Caprices should be banned from civilian ownership. Especially for anyone over 70 years of age. Talk about impeading traffic.

Kev
04-22-08, 03:11 PM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/4/24apr19-caring-too-much.jpg

Two cops, with LIDAR, in a horse trailer. Must be they've won the wars on drugs and terrorism in their jurisdiction.

Elvin

Well I notice with the pic that the OP posted that it was taken in Europe somewhere. I don't think cops can do that in the U.S. and even if that is the case I'm sure they will still find a way around it1. The license plate on the trailer is European.
2. The SUV and trailer or parked on the wrong side of the road. (citation for most of us there)
3. That setup would be referred to as a speed trap in California and many other states here which are illegal, which would make the participating LEO's scofflaws themselves ......

Hmmm.... :rolleyes: