: 04 EXT Tranny Question

402 Motoring
04-20-08, 07:55 PM
I have a 04 EXT with 68K miles and the trans does not want to shift from 1st to 2nd. Has anyone experienced this problem and if you have what the the end result? A new trans? I am debating whether to have the truck towed to the dealer or a trans shop. Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

hcvone
04-21-08, 07:39 AM
It may not be totally shot, but someone would have to open it up and see.

DaveH28
04-21-08, 09:22 PM
Well obviously a good starting point would be to check the trans fluid for metal or excessive clutch material...

Pull the dipstick or better off if you have the ability to, drop the pan.. There are many things it could be.. If your fluid is clean and has no metal or clutch material in it (burnt color/smell) then maybe you just have a solenoid problem.. any check engine lamp?

Hell I've seen ignition switches malfunction and cause electrical trans problems on these trucks a hundred times.. So before you go tearing into it or purchasing a new trans, let's start with the basics..

I am by no means an expert on transmissions but if you can gather up some more info from the truck I'll try to give you some advice.. Let's start with checking for codes and checking the fluid..

1cardude
04-23-08, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure what's wrong with your trans, but if you do tow it, absolutely
make sure it's on a FLAT BED. No wheels can be on the ground when being towed or major damage will occur. Good luck.
1cardude

402 Motoring
04-25-08, 07:01 AM
No burnt smell, etc. I've also had the tranny power flushed and the filter changed. I've thought about the solenoid but my choices are send to the dealer or an independent tranny shop. I then have to trust that I will be given a correct answer to that question. Even though I am in the car biz I'm not a tranny guy so I don't want to be ripped off.

Guyz1996deville
04-25-08, 01:05 PM
Power flushing is like using dirty needles brother. What was the last guys trans like that used the machine before you. If it wasn't shot it will be soon. I did that one time, that is all it takes. All you need to do is drop the pan and change the filter and put new fluid in. If you are going to rebild it I would update to heavy duty my plates and solonids...

DaveH28
04-25-08, 10:29 PM
I agree somewhat about the power flushing, but if it is done correctly it can be a useful service.. I would hope that most shops know to clean out the machine after using it on a vehicle before it is used on the next vehicle.. And most of the time the new fluid goes in before the old fluid starts to come out (hence the "flushing"), so the last thing that passes through the machine is the new fluid..

That being said.. Flushing is not always a good idea depending on the condition of the transmission and the pressure that the machine puts out.. If you already have a problem with the trans, or you have a transmission that is long overdue for service, then flushing can indeed make the problem worse, and in that case your best bet is to drop the pan and change the fluid & filter that way..

Did this problem start recently after the transmission was flushed? Or was it acting up before and you serviced it to try and correct the problem? It's going to be hard for you to test the solenoids yourself without a scan tool.. You can have a shop diagnose it for you for probably around $100-$150 depending on where you live, and then take it from there.. Allow them to check for codes and do an electrical diag on the solenoids, allow them to drop the pan & inspect the valve body & solenoids, but if they do that and then tell you they need to tear it down, you may want to stop there and weigh your options first (new/rebuilt unit, repairing your unit, junkyard unit, etc).. once its torn down, you're into it for a lot more $$ and now you have a trans in pieces..

402 Motoring
04-27-08, 09:22 AM
No the tranny was giving me problems before the flush. Just sucs cause the truck is a lease going back in 4 months. We're in the automotive biz so I can get the tranny work done at a wholesale price. Just aggravates me that my Ford Expedition has 160K miles on it with no problems and this truck which was 60K new has tranny problems at 68K miles. Not a ringing endorsement for GM products.

Max-Q
04-28-08, 12:23 AM
No the tranny was giving me problems before the flush. Just sucs cause the truck is a lease going back in 4 months. We're in the automotive biz so I can get the tranny work done at a wholesale price. Just aggravates me that my Ford Expedition has 160K miles on it with no problems and this truck which was 60K new has tranny problems at 68K miles. Not a ringing endorsement for GM products.

That's not really fair or indicitive of all GM products. My 03 Escalade has 76k miles on the tranny and going strong. I had a 2003 Ford which had two tranny rebuilds before 50k miles and the paint literally fell off the side of the vehicle at 38k miles and Ford would not warranty the paint.

hcvone
04-28-08, 08:22 AM
How many times was the trans fluid changed in 68k miles? I always change my trans, transfer case and front and rear diffs at 20-25k miles, if I lived in a hotter area of the country I would do it even more often. :)

cadillacroadside
04-29-08, 01:09 PM
and yet there is someone out there with major problems with their low mileage ford while the gm car they have in the driveway runs great at 100k, anything can break, its a machine made and designed by man, thats why you have a warranty and then the option for an extended warranty

OCESCALADE
05-02-08, 06:26 PM
People, do not get scammed on flushing a transmission. Would you do this with you engine oil and not change the filter? Dropping the pan gets all the fluid out, no contamination, a new trans filter and if there is any metal in the pan that goes away also. Some cars you can even empty the torque converter. Wake up!!!