: Allright gimme the "GOOD" news first

joee5
04-20-08, 06:59 PM
Service engine light came on,(again): hide:, and now upon acceleration there is a ticking :bomb: noise coming from the engine. Gimme the good news if any and I am prepared for the bad news as well. Calling all you gear heads so that way I know how much overtime I'm looking at to pay for above mentioned repairs:crying2:. Me lade has 130500 approximate miles and recently completed roundtrip into Canada from NJ. We use her every weekend on long drives due to the fact that me daughter plays travel softball. So I need her to haul equpment and coolers, chairs and such. And we drive all round the state. No other problems other than a little sluggish,(doesnt explode from the gate). Shifts fine, doesnt burn oil. Burns a heck of a lot of gas but this is expected. God Bless, Joe

hcvone
04-21-08, 09:05 AM
Could be so many things. How loud is the "ticking" if you open the hood with the engine running?

BDuncan
04-21-08, 12:51 PM
Good news is that 130K miles is no big deal if maintenance has been good, especially oil changes. Most obvious ticking, especially if on cold start up is valve lifter not holding pressure. Is ticking only when cold, or all the time not matter how long you have run? If oil changes have not been regular with good quality oil, it's possible a lifter seal or lifter has gone bad. Lifter noise is pretty easy to determine, listen to the valve cover area on each side of the engine. Lifter repair/ repalcement isn't too bad but if that is the problem, you may be able to use an oil additive to help or eliminate the noise. Get a service tech to listen to it and you may know more.

The Scientist
04-21-08, 01:12 PM
"Ticking" per say is generally valvetrain related as stated above. Not a huge problem and very fixable. In fact a common issue with the LS1 in f-bodys due to the acceptable tolerance levels. The fact that the SES light comes on is what would concern me. But this means that a mechanic could pull the codes and might be able to diagnosis the problem quickly.

Guyz1996deville
04-21-08, 02:25 PM
First and foremost you might have something so easy as a loose gas cap that casused the light to go on. I would take it to the checker auto and have them read the code. It could even be so simple as a bad belt tension bearing that is causing the ticking. You could take a huge screwdriver and put it on the top of the valve cover and see if that isolates the sound to that area. Keep us updated as to what your issue is. Sorry to hear about the issue...

Stay away from the addatives-that is a quick fix and not always the best for the rest of your motor

joee5
04-21-08, 04:42 PM
Wow could be many things. Ticking is when engine cold or hot, upon acceleration from stop to I would say 30 mph. Then I dont hear it anymore,(could be the wind overrides the ticking sound). With the hood open I dont hear a thing while the engine is running. This ticking sounds as if it's coming from the bottom part of the engine more so than from the top. I gonna try to get into me mechanic's shop and hopefully he can diagnose it. Car mechanics not me specialty. I fill up the tank with gas, change oil every 3,000 and make sure there is enough air in the tires. Otherwise I am clueless. Thanks fellas for all the help. God Bless, Joe

Superjim
04-21-08, 09:50 PM
If it is a TICKING ... and more so from the bottom... I would suspect an exhaust leak.

Texas Jim

hcvone
04-22-08, 08:52 AM
If you have a shop you use they could put it on the lift running and check for any exhust leaks or noises. :)

The Scientist
04-25-08, 04:20 PM
Did you ever find out what the noise was???

silversport
04-29-08, 08:46 AM
...hopefully joee5 is out enjoying his perfectly running Escalade right now...let us know what the fix is...
Bill

SUX2BU
04-30-08, 11:00 AM
Could alsoi be a plug wire came off and its arcing out. that causes a slight tick and shitty gas mileage.