: Any 2002 Escalade drivers want to help me out? Need pics of drive shaft!

driver15
04-20-08, 05:23 PM
Hey all, first time poster long time forum lurker. I picked up a 2002 Escalade 4months ago. I noticed that the connection between the transfer case and driver shaft was leaking. I changed the seal on the transfer case to no avail. I supsect that the rear drive shaft that's in the truck now isn't the OEM drive shaft (it's has also been painted). The transfer case is a 149GM part number but I'm not sure what the part number should be for the orginal rear drive shaft.

Could someone take a picture of the rear drive shaft, especially the connection between the transfer case and the drive shaft so I can compare the two? Or maybe someone could possibly shed some light on the situation. I'm trying to see which parts i need to put it back to the stock OEM drive shaft to stop the leak. Thanks in advance for your help!

driver15
04-24-08, 02:43 PM
Nobody?

ZX_man
04-25-08, 12:47 PM
I have an 02 I'll see if I can jack it up and get the pics sometime today.

Walter

driver15
04-26-08, 11:44 AM
Thanks Walter. Appreciate the help.

ZX_man
04-29-08, 11:58 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting some pics up, had a busy weekend. Well I took the best pictures I could, I also see that my transfer case is leaking :rant2: but with 144K on it i'm not surprised. My transfer case is also 149GM, but could not see a PN for the DS. If you need better pictures let me know.

Walter

driver15
04-30-08, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the pics! That's perfect! I can see that my drive shaft seems to be replace with another drive shaft (as you can see in my pics). I'll probably have to go and track down a used one to replace the one I have in there and stop the leak. I'm thinking the previous owner wanted to save costs and put an inferior drive shaft in there which is causing a slow leak. :banghead:

Oh well, I got a pretty good deal on the truck so I can drop a few hundred into a drive shaft. Thanks again for all your help! :D

driver15
04-30-08, 02:22 AM
By the way, if you need to change the seal from the transfer case to the front of the drive shaft don't go to the dealer to get the part. I went there initially and they wanted around $75 for the seal. Thankfully they were out of stock and sent me to Napa. Napa only charged around $40.

The seal is real easy to change so I would start there if your transfer case is leaking. It looks like that might help with your leak.

Thanks again!

ZX_man
04-30-08, 11:37 AM
No problem! Thanks for the heads up on sourcing the seal. I'll add that to my maintaince list. After comparing the pictures, it seems as though your DS is missing the "collar", that is the only way I could describe it.

Walter