: 2001 STS rust passenger door

yam700
04-20-08, 01:41 PM
HI, just bought a 2001 STS. On the passenger front door up about 4" from the bottom the paint is raised about an 2" in diameter. It is a bunch of pin sized bumps. The paint is not broken and the rust is from the inside out. I was a GM tech for 17 years and I know that if the paint was chipped that would have been the cause for entry. The paint is fine so this has occurred from the inside. Will GM do anything or should I take it to the dealer were I worked and see if we can possibly do a 50/50 split for the repairs? Any help would greatly be appriciated.

Thanks,
Rob

pompste
04-22-08, 11:10 PM
HI, just bought a 2001 STS. On the passenger front door up about 4" from the bottom the paint is raised about an 2" in diameter. It is a bunch of pin sized bumps. The paint is not broken and the rust is from the inside out. I was a GM tech for 17 years and I know that if the paint was chipped that would have been the cause for entry. The paint is fine so this has occurred from the inside. Will GM do anything or should I take it to the dealer were I worked and see if we can possibly do a 50/50 split for the repairs? Any help would greatly be appriciated.

Thanks,
Rob

It`s certainly worth a try to take your STS to the dealer where you worked and possibly get a 50/50 split.The fact that you worked there might carry some weight.
Whether GM does anything or not depends on how the "rust warranty" is worded.
Good luck to you.

dkozloski
04-23-08, 06:10 PM
It might be the result of a roadside bodyshop repair. You might want to pull the upholstery and look at the inside before you make a fool of yourself.

yam700
04-29-08, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, I want to pull the panel before I take it in anyway. I liked to be well armed with info before attempting anything.

Murphyg
05-02-08, 10:56 PM
Is this on the outside of the door ?
I have almost the exact same thing in round the same area. But not as large in diameter. Mine is bout the diameter of a dime...if that.

The paint is not broken. The clear coat is fully intact. At first glance it does appear to look like rust is permeating from under the paint.
But mine is not rust.
It is not near an area that water could have penetrated through and is beginning to rust. The clear coat is fully intact with no scratches any where near.
One of my best friends brothers is a body man. I have a close neighbor that runs/manages a very reputable body shop, as well as my wife that has worked for PPG Canada foir 16 years. She is in marketing for refinish, and knows many, as well as a lot about automotive finishes.
All those that I have talked to have assured me that what I have is not rust.

Something was not cleaned properly is all. Mine is not that big. But noticeable and definetally irritating.
In the years Ive had the car it has not gotten any bigger. So I believe that they are all correct in there diagnosis.

If you are absolutely positive that it is rust, then you should do something about it.
But if it is not......then your best to leave it alone. The last thing you want to do is remove a factory finish if not necessary.
To fix that 2 inch diameter most of the door will have to be done. The whole bottom under the trim/form.
As well as blending above and around. And that just thins the clear.
A re-finish will never last as long as factory.

So unless your positive that it is actually rust. If it doesnt get any larger or flake and peel. Then you should attempt to live with it.

TSS
05-27-08, 05:17 PM

Thanks,
Rob

I think they will tell you that you purchased a 7-8 year old used car. I am not saying it is right, I am just saying that you knew about it when you bought it and I am not expecting much GM sympathy on this one.