: Cadillacs and Fine Watches?

Thomas Carey
04-19-08, 02:38 PM
It seems to me a fine marque such as Cadillac goes hand and hand with a fine watch. =) So I am just wondering what you folks might be wearing in the form of a watch? Are there any fans of fine Swiss watches out there? I know I love a fine Swiss watch such as an Omega etc.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

eldorado99
04-19-08, 04:06 PM
I just have a regular old Citizen, looks decent though and does the job.

dkozloski
04-19-08, 04:17 PM
I'm carrying the new pink Barbie watch I got in a box of corn flakes the other day.

urbanski
04-19-08, 04:18 PM
i got a free one in my sonic kids meal

Rolex
04-19-08, 05:02 PM
I wonder? :hmm: ;)

Submariner409
04-19-08, 05:48 PM
If it floats your boat..........Go back to the early 60's and find a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Chronometer in gold/stainless steel with gunmetal blued hands and an alligator leather strap with gold buckle.

.....or a 1968 Rolex Submariner Date in stainless, solid Oyster bracelet. Feels like 3 pounds of steel on your wrist.

Both are real hand assembled and calibrated watches, unlike the current mass-produced circus toy products.

(bring your checkbook....)

as regards your question, what I'm currently wearing is a 1975 Rolex GMT Master Chronometer in stainless with black bezel. A product of the days when it sold for $325 in the Navy Exchange in Rota, Spain. (and, yes, I took advantage of the multiple collection possibilities 33 years ago.)

concorso
04-19-08, 05:54 PM
If it floats your boat..........Go back to the early 60's and find a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Chronometer in gold/stainless steel with gunmetal blued hands and an alligator leather strap with gold buckle.

.....or a 1968 Rolex Submariner Date in stainless, solid Oyster bracelet. Feels like 3 pounds of steel on your wrist.

Both are real hand assembled and calibrated watches, unlike the current mass-produced circus toy products.

(bring your checkbook....)There are still plenty of brands using quality Swiss movements....even if they're not all Swiss. :)

Submariner409
04-19-08, 06:06 PM
No argument there: the Swiss have always excelled at timing and precision movements. The current crop of CNC sterile Rolex though, while flashy and statement oriented, is a far cry from the works of art assembled prior to the 80's.

AlBundy
04-19-08, 07:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-WATCH-OYSTER-PERPETUAL-CHRONOMETER-CAL1560_W0QQitemZ220216714163QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31 387QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZ p1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Submariner409
04-19-08, 07:28 PM
AlBundy..............Close. Damn close. First one referred to ^^^^ was my father's, 1962. Mint.

Jesda
04-19-08, 07:39 PM
http://www.blogdemoviles.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/samsung-m610-2.jpg
I suppose I could tape it to my wrist.

dkozloski
04-19-08, 08:57 PM
My Barbie watch keeps better time than a Rolex.

Submariner409
04-19-08, 10:12 PM
Absolutely correct. ^^^ A decent quartz controlled movement will almost always keep time within a minute or less a month. Given the variables of attitude, temperature, and spring strength, it's a wonder mechanical watches are as accurate as they are. Rolex and the several other watchmakers that make a mechanical movement certified "chronometer" never advertise accuracy as a benefit: only that that particular movement will gain or lose time at a predictable rate, which allows the user to apply that rate per day to calculate the correct time.

Up until '82, my retirement, every Navy ship in commission carried three mechanical Chelsea chronometers which were wound at exactly the same time each morning and logged, and the time(s) were compared with a WWV or WWVH time tick once a week and the gain or lose rate calculated and logged. Chronometers are never reset. If the batteries went dead somewhere, you could still deduce correct time from the logs applied to the mechanical chronometers. (a leftover from celestial navigation.....). "Good morning, Captain. The Officer of the Deck sends his respects and reports 12 o'clock, ............. . The ships' chronometers have been wound and compared." has been reported so many millions of times on so many ships..........and noon meal begins in the wardroom.

dkozloski
04-19-08, 10:25 PM
Absolutely correct. ^^^ A decent quartz controlled movement will almost always keep time within a minute or less a month. Given the variables of attitude, temperature, and spring strength, it's a wonder mechanical watches are as accurate as they are. Rolex and the several other watchmakers that make a mechanical movement certified "chronometer" never advertise accuracy as a benefit: only that that particular movement will gain or lose time at a predictable rate, which allows the user to apply that rate per day to calculate the correct time.

Up until '82, my retirement, every Navy ship in commission carried three mechanical Chelsea chronometers which were wound at exactly the same time each morning and logged, and the time(s) were compared with a WWV or WWVH time tick once a week and the gain or lose rate calculated and logged. Chronometers are never reset. If the batteries went dead somewhere, you could still deduce correct time from the logs applied to the mechanical chronometers. (a leftover from celestial navigation.....). "Good morning, Captain. The Officer of the Deck sends his respects and reports 12 o'clock, ............. . The ships' chronometers have been wound and compared." has been reported so many millions of times on so many ships..........and noon meal begins in the wardroom.
It seems to me that I remember the duty Quartermaster coming around periodically and setting the clocks in all working spaces as well as the duty Gunner's Mate logging magazine temperatures and a snipe that sounded the bilges with a measuring tape that he could unreel down capped access holes in the deck.

orconn
04-19-08, 11:16 PM
As for me I've never gotten along with Swiss or any other kind of "fine" mechanical watches. While in the service I had the opportunity to own several supposedly excellent mechanical watches. In those days they were available at the PX for a relatively reasonable price. I had a top of the line Seiko, which stopped within a week of purchase and was repaired or replaced by Seiko three times before I gave up on it. I then bought a Rolex, I think it was $300.00 in 1969 at the PX. Well the Rolex was no better, it stopped and was replaced a couple of times and the PX gave me my money back. Let me also say that my Dad gave a nice watch for graduation from college ..... a Wittnauer, I believe. It wouldn't keep time either. The only watch that was reliable for me was a Timex. Fortunately, quartz watches came along about the time I needed needed and solved my problem. Since that time I have never again been tempted to own a prestigious watch and have enjoyed getting my status kicks by other means!

AlBundy
04-19-08, 11:21 PM
Sorry for those of you who couldn't see the pic. I clicked on it and wondered what happened to the pic. It's a great watch. My fault.

Destroyer
04-20-08, 12:34 AM
Croton here, not great but neither is a Cadillac, at least not a N* Cadillac.

AlBundy
04-20-08, 12:50 AM
Should I say I expected anything less Destroyer?

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 03:38 AM
I wonder? :hmm: ;)

I am just guessing based on your name that just can't stand Rolex watches correct? :D J/K

Seeings how I am sure you have a few. =) What's your favorite Rolex model?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 03:47 AM

(bring your checkbook....)

as regards your question, what I'm currently wearing is a 1975 Rolex GMT Master Chronometer in stainless with black bezel. A product of the days when it sold for $325 in the Navy Exchange in Rota, Spain. (and, yes, I took advantage of the multiple collection possibilities 33 years ago.)

Ahh you are like a breath of fresh sir. =) Most people do not understand that current offerings especially from the ever popular Rolex are mass produced! =( I am a fan of both vintage and modern watches. I think actually have more old pocket watches than anything as the wonderful hand fitted mechanical aspect of them really appeals to me. The only thing I don't like about vintage watches is the fact that they mostly have acrylic crystals which are quite easy to scratch. Though I know that some people are finding ways to fit modern Sapphire or mineral crystals to some vintage watches. Which to me is the best of both worlds really.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 03:49 AM
There are still plenty of brands using quality Swiss movements....even if they're not all Swiss. :)

Also very true and some are not even as expensive as the others that are mentioned. I have found that the smaller watch brands have to make watches using some of those older methods due to economy of scale and the cost of those wonderful high tech new fangled pieces of equipment that are used by those that mass produce watches.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 03:54 AM
http://www.blogdemoviles.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/samsung-m610-2.jpg
I suppose I could tape it to my wrist.

Ahh yes cell phones. I simply loath the things. In the rural area I live in they always seem to be letting one done. Not to mention doing who knows what to ones brain. I do have one but I rarely ever use it. I am waiting for something better. A phone that actually works every where! =)

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 04:00 AM
My Barbie watch keeps better time than a Rolex.

To me it's not about keeping the most accurate time. If it was I would not have a strictly Quartz watch either. I would get one of those watches that sync up with the Atomic clock and keep dead on. =)

For me it's the mechanical aspect that interests me and it's the only form of Jewelery I can stand wearing. I just don't like rings, or necklaces. So I guess you can say it's also a bit about fashion as well. Though I am not fashionable be any means. I just love a nice mechanical watch with nice heft. That and your not throwing away watch battery's every few years if not the whole darn Barbie watch. =)

In a throw away society it's something that hearkens back to past when you could not afford to throw everything away.

So there are several aspects that I appreciate about a nice watch.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Jesda
04-20-08, 04:00 AM
Ahh yes cell phones. I simply loath the things. In the rural area I live in they always seem to be letting one done. Not to mention doing who knows what to ones brain. I do have one but I rarely ever use it. I am waiting for something better. A phone that actually works every where! =)

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

http://www.motorola.com/consumer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=caddd4edd590b010VgnVCM10000082 06b00aRCRD&show=productHome

http://boxcarcabin.com/m800bp.htm

http://boxcarcabin.com/Motorola-Alltel-Bag-Phone.jpg

Huge, but claims to be the best phone available in the US for rural reception.

Playdrv4me
04-20-08, 04:08 AM
The only vintage watches I like are vintage Omegas with the pie-pan dials and solid rose gold cases. The old Rolexes are take it or leave it to me except for the fact that alot of the 60s and 70s models provide a cheap way to get a Rolex on your wrist without dropping huge coin.

As for what I think are the best kept secret of the MODERN watch world, it would have to be Zenith's el primero (also used in the Rolex Daytona until they tooled their own movement for it, these are the most desirable late model Daytonas), and particularly this watch which I have owned off and on for the past several years, the Concord Impresario Certified Chronometre Chronograph. This is a FINE piece of engineering that due to cost and Zenith's decision to stop supplying the El Primero movement to third parties was discontinued a few years ago by the Movado group...

http://www.watchcat.com/NewListings/gp01ccimp1.jpg

http://www.uhrenhandel.de/images/0308967_10.jpg

C&C
04-20-08, 06:13 AM
Citizen, Eco-Drive; never needs winding, no batteries to replace. (it even has a mouse on it) :cloud9:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/cdgrenci/IMG_0009-1-1.jpg

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 10:02 AM
http://www.motorola.com/consumer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=caddd4edd590b010VgnVCM10000082 06b00aRCRD&show=productHome

http://boxcarcabin.com/m800bp.htm

http://boxcarcabin.com/Motorola-Alltel-Bag-Phone.jpg

Huge, but claims to be the best phone available in the US for rural reception.

You know when they get that down to the size of a Motorola Razor they will really have something. =)

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 10:09 AM
The only vintage watches I like are vintage Omegas with the pie-pan dials and solid rose gold cases. The old Rolexes are take it or leave it to me except for the fact that alot of the 60s and 70s models provide a cheap way to get a Rolex on your wrist without dropping huge coin.

As for what I think are the best kept secret of the MODERN watch world, it would have to be Zenith's el primero (also used in the Rolex Daytona until they tooled their own movement for it, these are the most desirable late model Daytonas), and particularly this watch which I have owned off and on for the past several years, the Concord Impresario Certified Chronometre Chronograph. This is a FINE piece of engineering that due to cost and Zenith's decision to stop supplying the El Primero movement to third parties was discontinued a few years ago by the Movado group...

http://www.watchcat.com/NewListings/gp01ccimp1.jpg

http://www.uhrenhandel.de/images/0308967_10.jpg

I do so love those Pie Pan dials as well. =)

That Concord is a fine watch and a very fine movement indeed.

Speaking of the Movado Group. What do you think of the Ebel brand?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Rolex
04-20-08, 10:46 AM
I am just guessing based on your name that just can't stand Rolex watches correct? :D J/K

Seeings how I am sure you have a few. =) What's your favorite Rolex model?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

I have always admired fine watches, especially Rolex. I'm not sure if my appreciation for these watches is as sophisticated as it should be. My wife and I both own a Rolex. She bought mine as a gift for me, and I for her. They were our "we survived grad school and residency" symbols, which gives them some sentimental value as well.

Here's an old (low quality) pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/mrsRolex.jpg

I'm having my watch serviced now and another dial put on.

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 11:17 AM
I have always admired fine watches, especially Rolex. I'm not sure if my appreciation for these watches is as sophisticated as it should be. My wife and I both own a Rolex. She bought mine as a gift for me, and I for her. They were our "we survived grad school and residency" symbols, which gives them some sentimental value as well.

Here's an old (low quality) pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/mrsRolex.jpg

I'm having my watch serviced now and another dial put on.

I have always loved that Two Tone color especially with a blue dial. Will you be going to a dial with a different color? How much is the service itself costing? I have heard of people paying anywhere to $75.00 - $300.00 for a routine service on a Rolex.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

ABCF
04-20-08, 07:45 PM
I wear an ESQ venture diamond gold, and a knock off of a Rado...

dkozloski
04-20-08, 08:10 PM
Last year at Christmas the kids said they wanted'a watch so the wife and I let'em.

ABCF
04-20-08, 08:16 PM
Last year at Christmas the kids said they wanted'a watch so the wife and I let'em.

hahahahaha.....old people sex :) thats too much info :)

orconn
04-20-08, 08:41 PM

Yeah, I understand it's quite a spectator sport among the Eskimo!

dkozloski
04-20-08, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I understand it's quite a spectator sport among the Eskimo!
Under all that fur clothng there ain't much to see.

orconn
04-20-08, 08:59 PM
Under all that fur clothng there ain't much to see.

Yeah, I know, I saw "Nanook of the North" once. The lighting's not so great in an igloo either.

Playdrv4me
04-20-08, 10:37 PM
I have always loved that Two Tone color especially with a blue dial. Will you be going to a dial with a different color? How much is the service itself costing? I have heard of people paying anywhere to $75.00 - $300.00 for a routine service on a Rolex.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Depends on where you live and your local dealers. More and more dealers are retiring their watchmasons and insisting that if you want ANYTHING done to your Rolex, you must send it to the authorized Rolex Service Centers in Dallas and New York and pay for the FULL Service. However, I've been fortunate for the most part to live in places that happily refinished my Rolies when I had them for between 50 and 100 bucks. Mine were usually new enough they didn't need a full service yet, but old enough (used) where they had some wear on them.

It is amazing what those Rolex finishing wheels will do for the surface of the watch, it comes out looking BRAND NEW again.

JC316
04-20-08, 11:10 PM
No watch for me. Instead, I have a 23g Cuban link 14K gold bracelet.

Rolex
04-20-08, 11:26 PM

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Short story: I bought the diamond dial at a Helen Britt wholesale jewelry market Nov 06 from a vendor out of Dallas. Many retailers buy their stones and watches wholesale there to resale in their stores, so I bought with no fear of fraudulence. I tried to send my watch to Dallas to have it serviced (~$400 give or take) and they refused to service it because the dial "isn't a Rolex product." Fake by any other name is still fake. :mad:

So I called the vendor I bought the dial from and was met with anger and threats before being rudely hung up on. After speaking with a paralegal at Rolex's corporate atty office (the atty was "out for the day") I gave the vendor a call back to inform him how very interested Rolex was in his name and business address, especially since he operates in Dallas. It seems Rolex frowns on other vendors adding diamonds to their dials and selling them wholesale to jewelry vendors who in turn resale them to the public. After listening to him studder and stammer for several minutes and tell me he wasn't afraid of me, he agreed to replace the fake dial with an authentic Rolex diamond dial. I need only to send him my watch...:histeric:. I kindly informed him he'd never lay hands on my watch again. The guy must think me a blithering idiot.

I've found a local jeweler that has agreed to remove the fake dial. I intend to exchange the fake for the real mccoy at the Helen Britt market in May. Same color, 10 diamond dial, in exchange for not turning this scumbag's same over to Rolex's corporate lawyer. Duress is a bitch. :lildevil:

dkozloski
04-21-08, 01:58 AM
The Rolex knockoffs are getting so good there's no point to buying the real thing. It's the rare guy that can spot that the Rolex you bought from Manny down behind the pool hall only cost you $80.

Thomas Carey
04-21-08, 03:00 AM
Personally I take a dim view of the knockoffs. I mean another company who can't come up with their own product is making their living off stealing someone else's. It's just not the right thing to do.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

GizmoQ
04-21-08, 04:44 AM
I play at collecting fine watches. I say play cause I don't spend the time researching the best values/appreciation/rarity/etc. I just buy the exotics that I like to wear. With that said I have two of the old Rolex's like above, Rado Integral and Ceramica, a Gucci, a Tag Hauer, a Movado, and a Cartier. Not to mention a half dozen 50+ yr old pocket watches. And believe it or not in the last year, I think I worn a watch maybe 10 days. I just don't need one.

Thomas Carey
04-21-08, 05:19 AM
I play at collecting fine watches. I say play cause I don't spend the time researching the best values/appreciation/rarity/etc. I just buy the exotics that I like to wear. With that said I have two of the old Rolex's like above, Rado Integral and Ceramica, a Gucci, a Tag Hauer, a Movado, and a Cartier. Not to mention a half dozen 50+ yr old pocket watches. And believe it or not in the last year, I think I worn a watch maybe 10 days. I just don't need one.

I am really the same way. In the past collecting other items I have found that after I spend loads of time learning all I could about a subject I ended being totally burned out. Now I just buy what appeals to me for a price that I am willing to pay and enjoy my purchase. =) hough I wear a watch as much as I can. Not because I need to but because I like to. =)

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

dkozloski
04-21-08, 11:28 AM
Fine old watches are a thing of beauty as well as examples of craftsmanship and engineering; a source of pride for the maker as well as the owner. They're kind of like a Cadillac.

Rolex
04-21-08, 11:33 AM
The Rolex knockoffs are getting so good there's no point to buying the real thing. It's the rare guy that can spot that the Rolex you bought from Manny down behind the pool hall only cost you $80.

Fine old watches are a thing of beauty as well as examples of craftsmanship and engineering; a source of pride for the maker as well as the owner. They're kind of like a Cadillac.

I'm starting to wonder if you suffer from MPD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder). ;)

Lord Cadillac
04-21-08, 11:53 AM
Personally I take a dim view of the knockoffs. I mean another company who can't come up with their own product is making their living off stealing someone else's. It's just not the right thing to do.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
I see what you're saying but I also look at it like this.. The person who buys a fake Rolex will unlikely ever buy a real one. So Rolex didn't actually lose any money. Though, as you mentioned, the company who made the fake is earning off of someone elses ideas. I don't own a fake Rolex. :p

Lord Cadillac
04-21-08, 12:07 PM
Here's my collection... The first one is a Fossil (not fine at all!). The second is obvious, Movado. Not sure how fine that is.. The third is a solid gold Omega (very old) I received from my Grandfather. The third is a Raymond Weil (is that considered a "fine" watch?). And the last is what I bought for my Wife on her birthday - a Rado...

dkozloski
04-21-08, 01:16 PM
I'm starting to wonder if you suffer from MPD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder). ;)
It's great fun to take turns with both sides of the argument. Kinda like egging on a bar fight.

Thomas Carey
04-21-08, 01:19 PM
I do have to say you do have the fine watches covered. =) My step mother has a solid gold Omega. She has just trashed that thing so many times doing house work etc. I told my dad to get her a cheap watch and have her put that Omega away.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

RunningOnEMT
04-21-08, 01:53 PM
nothin all that fancy

this is what i wear every day to work

http://www.nextdaywatches.com/propo_image.php?img=pimages%2F73_IMG1.jpg&w=240&h=240

for EMT stuff i wear one very similar to this but it has a black face so i can see the hands really well

http://www.valentineday-gift.co.uk/images/fossil-watch-gents.jpg

and for dress i have this one

Movado Sapphire Series

http://www.kay.com/images/products/3015/301555900_MV_LG.jpg

Blackout
04-21-08, 02:29 PM
My watch is my Blackberry

Jesda
04-21-08, 03:54 PM
http://www.kay.com/images/products/3015/301555900_MV_LG.jpg

Apparently noon and midnight are the only times that matter?

RunningOnEMT
04-21-08, 03:59 PM
i've never owned a movado that had anything but the "gem" at the 12 o'clock position

its not as "accurate" as my citizen for telling time but it will give you the general idea i guess....lol

Lord Cadillac
04-21-08, 04:09 PM
Personally, I never need more than the general idea on the time. I don't care how precise a watch is. I suppose I'm rare..

RunningOnEMT
04-21-08, 04:13 PM
usually when i'm wearing the movado i'm only worried about a general impression of time anyways, any other time like doing CPR and timing respirations with my watch it might not be such a good thing... lol

Cadillacboy
04-22-08, 10:27 AM
Jaguar also making some watches but I don't know if they use ETA or not . In fact , many watch manufacturers use ETA including Omega,Cartier,Breitling and so on . I would like to see a Cadillac watch using Eta 7750 or 7800 machine and in chrono ;)

Thomas Carey
04-22-08, 10:46 AM
Jaguar also making some watches but I don't know if they use ETA or not . In fact , many watch manufacturers use ETA including Omega,Cartier,Breitling and so on . I would like to see a Cadillac watch using Eta 7750 or 7800 machine and in chrono ;)

A watch with a movement like those would cost quite a bit. Especially now that those movements are getting harder to come by for the manufacturers. I am quite sure such a watch would cost around $1500.00 or so. Me I can do without a Chronograph.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

ahahnu
04-22-08, 11:40 AM
Just came upon this thread. I work at Cartier and deal with watches everyday. Many good points have been posted here. My $.02 are if you want a really good watch you must get a mechanical (to hell with batteries, eco, or automatic movements) limited series time piece. A toubillon (spelling) movement is one of the most complicated modern movements out there. You also don't need to spend a fortune, just get something that is unique, that you like. Really at the end of the day as long as you like it who cares if its fake or not. I personally own two limited Privee mechanical watches from Cartier, one 18k yellow and one platinum on alligator straps. I have to wind them everyday.

Thomas Carey
04-22-08, 11:47 AM
Just came upon this thread. I work at Cartier and deal with watches everyday. Many good points have been posted here. My $.02 are if you want a really good watch you must get a mechanical (to hell with batteries, eco, or automatic movements) limited series time piece. A toubillon (spelling) movement is one of the most complicated modern movements out there. You also don't need to spend a fortune, just get something that is unique, that you like. Really at the end of the day as long as you like it who cares if its fake or not. I personally own two limited Privee mechanical watches from Cartier, one 18k yellow and one platinum on alligator straps. I have to wind them everyday.

Any chance you could share with us some nice pictures of those fine timepieces you have there? =)

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

orconn
04-22-08, 11:49 AM
i've never owned a movado that had anything but the "gem" at the 12 o'clock position

its not as "accurate" as my citizen for telling time but it will give you the general idea i guess....lol

I quess it really is not a timekeeper, but really just an animated bracelet! Seems to me one would get better value just spending the money on jewelry and not paying the premium for advertising and the watch movement.

Thomas Carey
04-22-08, 11:56 AM
I quess it really is not a timekeeper, but really just an animated bracelet! Seems to me one would get better value just spending the money on jewelry and not paying the premium for advertising and the watch movement.

Watches are actually Jewelery especially in the case of a brand like Cartier. They hold their value just as much if not more so than a typical piece of jewelery. Frankly the movement is a very important thing to many folks and advertising is something you pay for but there is much more than just that. Just like their is a difference in say a cast crank shaft vs a forged crank shaft. There are watch cases for instance that can be stamped, cast, or milled. As you explore the subject more you find that like many things there is much more than what first meets the eye.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

GizmoQ
04-22-08, 01:37 PM

I was hoping I wouldn't be the first with a "war story," but the comment about "animated jewelry" got me. As a senior AF program Manager, I used to have to attend events with a guest list out of the aviation fortune 100 (CEOs of companies like Lockheed, Boeing, Gulfstream, etc. and foreign dignitaries like princes, prime ministers, ambassadors, etc). I was at the first of such events, lost, lonely and trying to find an ice-breaker to get these folks to take me seriously. A senior Boeing VP I had worked with often came over and asked if my watch was a Rado. He recognized what it was from across the room! And as we began discussing fine watches others joined in. I made more networking contacts that night than I could have ever imagined. (Actually got two job offers as well.)

Bottom line is yes its jewelry, but a fine watch is distinctive, functional, is more recognizable than just jewelry, and sets the owner apart from the masses just like our Caddies set us apart from public transportation. The "advertising" aspect at this level is not advertising the watch brand, but that you appreciate what wearing the brand says about you. Ever seen the reaction of a Mont Blanc owner when someone asks to borrow his "Pen." (I have a decent collection of fine writing instruments, too) :thumbsup:

dkozloski
04-22-08, 01:38 PM
I determine how much a jewelry item appeals to me by asking myself how much good it's going to do me after the Cataclysmic Apocalypse. I'd rather have a really good set of tools.

Thomas Carey
04-22-08, 01:55 PM
I was hoping I wouldn't be the first with a "war story," but the comment about "animated jewelry" got me. As a senior AF program Manager, I used to have to attend events with a guest list out of the aviation fortune 100 (CEOs of companies like Lockheed, Boeing, Gulfstream, etc. and foreign dignitaries like princes, prime ministers, ambassadors, etc). I was at the first of such events, lost, lonely and trying to find an ice-breaker to get these folks to take me seriously. A senior Boeing VP I had worked with often came over and asked if my watch was a Rado. He recognized what it was from across the room! And as we began discussing fine watches others joined in. I made more networking contacts that night than I could have ever imagined. (Actually got two job offers as well.)

Bottom line is yes its jewelry, but a fine watch is distinctive, functional, is more recognizable than just jewelry, and sets the owner apart from the masses just like our Caddies set us apart from public transportation. The "advertising" aspect at this level is not advertising the watch brand, but that you appreciate what wearing the brand says about you. Ever seen the reaction of a Mont Blanc owner when someone asks to borrow his "Pen." (I have a decent collection of fine writing instruments, too) :thumbsup:

Well said! =) A fine watch is more than just a means of telling time. It's more than just jewelery as well. Myself I tell people that if women can have so many purses and shoes than I can have several watches for the same sort of reason. It's about function, style, Fashion, Passion etc.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

ahahnu
04-22-08, 03:53 PM
I determine how much a jewelry item appeals to me by asking myself how much good it's going to do me after the Cataclysmic Apocalypse. I'd rather have a really good set of tools.

After working with jewelry and watches for a fe years now, its kinda funny to hear you mention this. I worked on 5th Ave in NYC selling rocks, pebbles and stones that cost more then a house (when I could afford my car). After seeing how the "truely wealthy" live and can drop fortunes year after year on trinkets, I'll take what I can get. Its pretty depressing to see quite frankly. How the most important thing in the world is a watch strap and they'll have my job over it. Anyway I feel that jewelry treuly separates the wealthy. Jewels and gems. People can make themselves look rich with accessories, but its jewelry that can really put someone in their place of affordibility.

orconn
04-22-08, 04:27 PM
I think you are right, among the truly "rich" jewelry does set them apart ....... as do competition horses, and yachts. However, for the merely "affluent" their are a number of logos that broadcast the supposed status of the wearer or owner. The logo supposedly represents quality, and in some cases this is born out in the product, but the logo is also identified with the products high price (a function of designer compensation, advertising and the willingness of the consumer to pay for what he perceives the product says about owner). Unfortunately for the staus seeker, this class of merchandise begins to appear being worn or owned across a broad spectrum of socio-economic classes and its' prestige factor is greatly eroded. Many logos come to mind that to the general public remain status symbols, which have long lost their desirability among connosieurs.

cvettr/cts-v
04-22-08, 04:52 PM
looks like i must be in the minority here as i really enjoy my real rolex submariner w/date and two tone so much that it is my daily watch no matter what i do. it took me a long time to get to the place that made this watch a reality to own and am proud of it and to be able to wear it. it seems most here look down upon it but everyone has their opinion and what makes the world an interesting place.

Thomas Carey
04-22-08, 08:46 PM
looks like i must be in the minority here as i really enjoy my real rolex submariner w/date and two tone so much that it is my daily watch no matter what i do. it took me a long time to get to the place that made this watch a reality to own and am proud of it and to be able to wear it. it seems most here look down upon it but everyone has their opinion and what makes the world an interesting place.

Quite honestly I don't look down on it. Rolex makes a fine watch. This brand holds it's value very well over time. Better than most brands out there. There are many owners like you the waited years to get one. I had an uncle that did as well. He wears his all the time. The thing that does irk me though as many people who don't know much about watches seem to think that a fine watch can't be a fine watch unless it says Rolex. They have never heard of most of the other fine brands.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

ahahnu
04-22-08, 08:55 PM
it took me a long time to get to the place that made this watch a reality to own and am proud of it and to be able to wear it

Jewelry and watches are a form of art. And at the end of the day if you like what adorns you then who cares what everyone else thinks. Congratulations on your purchase. Wear it in good health.

The thing that does irk me though as many people who don't know much about watches seem to think that a fine watch can't be a fine watch unless it says Rolex. They have never heard of most of the other fine brands.

AMEN brother. Rolex is the marketing giant of the watch industry. I feel they they along with Cartier, Brietling, Frank Mueller, and o few other names that are out there are just that. Yes each produces their own movements and through that research and development causes them to be unique or better then the next guy. At least its not quartz.

Thomas Carey
04-24-08, 10:46 AM
I have been wondering. What would a watch look like that would be the perfect fit for a Cadillac? Would it be casual or more of a dress watch? A chronograph or not? Would it have a high quality leather strap or bracelet?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Cadillacboy
04-24-08, 11:17 AM
A classic watch w/ high quality leather strap might fit better but I like chrono watches w/ bracelet .In other words sports watches for V Series Owners

Cadillacboy
04-24-08, 11:18 AM
A classic watch w/ high quality leather fits better for suits but I mostly like chrono watches w/ bracelet

Thomas Carey
04-24-08, 11:48 AM
Sounds like really one style for the V folks and one for the non V folks. Also should the movement be Quartz, Automatic, or does it matter? =)

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Cadillacboy
04-24-08, 02:52 PM
I prefer Automatic .Manual winding is just fine too .As for the quartz movements they seem to keep time more than automatics they're not prestigious as much as autos

orconn
04-24-08, 11:27 PM
In wearing a watch, my primary purpose is to be informed of the time. As I have said in a previous post high quality mechanical movements, be they automatics or windup, and I do not get along. As a result I only use and wear watches with quartz movements ........... I rely on other symbols and artifices for personal prestige.

Chicano-Mexicano
04-25-08, 06:21 PM
I have an $10 RQLEX yeah thats right I bought a fake Rolex wanna fight about it.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/852/dsc00224wh1.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00224wh1.jpg)

AlBundy
04-25-08, 08:24 PM
I have an $10 RQLEX yeah thats right I bought a fake Rolex wanna fight about it.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/852/dsc00224wh1.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00224wh1.jpg)

No...but you brought it from me for $20.:hide:

Chicano-Mexicano
04-25-08, 09:20 PM
No...but you brought it from me for $20.:hide:

No I got it from a vato on 26th street in Chicago last year.

AlBundy
04-25-08, 09:55 PM
No I got it from a vato on 26th street in Chicago last year.

I'm in Chi-town so how do you know I wasn't that vato?:histeric:

Chicano-Mexicano
04-25-08, 10:00 PM
Well this is a Cadillac owners site so I'm guessing you most likely white (don't think their are to many Burros like me on here, but I've been wrong before) and doubt doubt you live on 26th street and sell bootleg ROLEX watches for 10 dollars and drive a 1996 Eldorado Touring Coupe (Their was no 96 sports coupe that only existed in 93).

So just a hunch.

Submariner409
04-25-08, 10:12 PM
Nobody's kidding anybody: A wristwatch, in many ways, is as much a personal statement as our beloved cars. Witness the corporate significance of whether you "wear" a set of gold/black Cross or Mont Blanc writing instruments or the proper initials over your oxford shirt pocket. The statement made by your display of either an 18K Rolex Oyster, a titanium Breitling Aerospace, an Omega chronometer, or Auguste Piccard gold dress watch is your personal signature, yours alone, and is every bit as personal as your motor oil brand or car marque. To try to convince me that a Rolex GMT Master is an inferior or less desirable timepiece than some other equally qualified timepiece is essentially pissing into the wind: there's no way to duck the resultant argument.

Chicano, You're way off. The whole world is in here, and fortunately it seems to be pretty much color and nationality blind. We share a common love of things good and mechanical and I daresay that the majority has never considered ethnic differences. Let the politicians worry about why we're supposed to hate each other and we'll repair their limousines.......

Chicano-Mexicano
04-25-08, 10:26 PM
Nobody's kidding anybody: A wristwatch, in many ways, is as much a personal statement as our beloved cars. Witness the corporate significance of whether you "wear" a set of gold/black Cross or Mont Blanc writing instruments or the proper initials over your oxford shirt pocket. The statement made by your display of either an 18K Rolex Oyster, a titanium Breitling Aerospace, an Omega chronometer, or Auguste Piccard gold dress watch is your personal signature, yours alone, and is every bit as personal as your motor oil brand or car marque. To try to convince me that a Rolex GMT Master is an inferior or less desirable timepiece than some other equally qualified timepiece is essentially pissing into the wind: there's no way to duck the resultant argument.

Chicano, You're way off. The whole world is in here, and fortunately it seems to be pretty much color and nationality blind. We share a common love of things good and mechanical and I daresay that the majority has never considered ethnic differences. Let the politicians worry about why we hate each other and we'll repair their limousines.......

It was kind of a joke I know theirs plenty of Chicano's and Chicanas here on the forms and what ever other people decide to own a caddy but the statement still stands that I bought a bitchin' RQLEX (with a Q).................................

and now for something completely different

dkozloski
04-25-08, 11:25 PM
I traded my Barbie watch back for my Titanium Seiko with the arc burn where I got it across a battery. As hot as it got it still keeps time.

Thomas Carey
05-09-08, 10:22 AM
I traded my Barbie watch back for my Titanium Seiko with the arc burn where I got it across a battery. As hot as it got it still keeps time.

Good to see you are moving up in the world! :D

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey