: 96 Cad DeVille Questions

Seeker
04-17-08, 11:46 PM
I have a 96 Cad deVille that quit on me while running 70 mph down an Interstate. Got it restarted and stalled again. My mechanic installed a new ECM and it did the same thing and its back in the shop. I've read several threads on the CPM and the CKP. My question - since its in the shop should I replace ALL of these at once just to be on the save side.

Another question: How good is the overall reliability of the 96 Cad deVille? I have already pulled the motor from my deck lid as it no longer worked. I'd just as soon close that myself any way.

A thought to ponder on as well: What happens to all this gadgetry when we get hit with a huge EMP? There are so few horses and bicycles around these days!!

Thanks! Jesse

Ranger
04-19-08, 09:20 PM
'96 CKP sensors were pretty reliable, but they are a possibility.

Trunk pull down motor is an easy fix. Switch or brushes most likely.

Seeker
04-28-08, 01:21 AM
Well, both of my CKP sensors were replaced and the engine actually runs a bit smoother, however, this still cut out on me when I was doing about 50 mph going to work (22 mi drive) but I drove home with no problem.

I'm still worried that this engine dying is still a problem. Any suggestions other than possibly replacing the CPM sensor?

Could this be some other electronics problem NOT associated with these three sensors?

Seeker

Ranger
04-28-08, 10:07 AM
No codes? Might check the battery cables for corrosion and tightness.

misfit6794
04-28-08, 10:15 PM
Have you ever changed the fuel filter? Could be clogged, or it could be a failing pump.

I wouldn't say they aren't reliable, its just when they break, it starts to get expensive. Also do a search on the forum for "headgasket"

Seeker
05-21-08, 10:55 AM
I had this checked out again and drove it to work and it died just as I was pulling up to a light. Luckily I was able to push it off to the side with no problem, but just could not get it re-started. Another tow job!!

This time I got the following codes from the mechanic: PC 0717H, PC1599H, and IP1910H. The first to have to do with a "low idle" from what I can determine from the listings, however, I never did find the IP1910H code in the listing.

No, I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, and the batter linkages is O.K. as I only recently installed a new battery, with very clean terminals and cables.

Any ideas as to why this engine is still just quitting on me?

Someone told me that the dealer analysis equipment picks up more than a handheld piece of equipment. Is that true? My mechanics device seemed to be a pretty good piece of equipment.

Thanks!

JESSE
-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, both of my CKP sensors were replaced and the engine actually runs a bit smoother, however, this still cut out on me when I was doing about 50 mph going to work (22 mi drive) but I drove home with no problem.

I'm still worried that this engine dying is still a problem. Any suggestions other than possibly replacing the CPM sensor?

Could this be some other electronics problem NOT associated with these three sensors?

Seeker