: Recommended Upgrades - Nitrous?

CT-CTSV
04-17-08, 05:24 PM
Currently have a 2005 CTS-V with Corsa Exhaust, Lingenfelter Intake, Shift Eliminator. Looking to upgrade without spending a ton more. Would love the Magnusen SC, but dont have $6k+ lying around. What has anyone else done to increase power? I hear Cams might be a waste, and I have been leaning towards Nitrous Kits. Seems the "cheating" way to 500hp+, but hey, sometimes it's needed...

Any ideas may help! Thanks!

heavymetals
04-17-08, 05:47 PM
Definitly the "cheap thrills" way until you gernade it.

Just make sure you have the resources to fix it if and when you do.

Welcome to MOD HELL.

Twitch
04-17-08, 06:21 PM
Cheap??? Whats that, nothings cheap on this car. :mad:
No matter what you get, you'll always want more :alchi:

onebadcad
04-17-08, 06:59 PM
Nitrous is great if you are on a budget, do it.
Here's my take:

Pros
1) cheaper than any Supercharger, except for the Tornadoes
2) can go up to 150-shot, if you are a brave soul
3) easy to pull off if you sell car
4) you can put those really cool stickers on your car

Cons
1) bottle constantly needs refilling
2) bottle is always empty when you most need it
3) 'Nitrous Candle'-it aint funny when its your car
4) you always want more power, which can lead to KABOOM!!!

Good luck, let us know,,,

1QUICKV
04-17-08, 07:26 PM
Nitrous is great if you are on a budget, do it.
Here's my take:

Pros
1) cheaper than any Supercharger, except for the Tornadoes
2) can go up to 150-shot, if you are a brave soul
3) easy to pull off if you sell car
4) you can put those really cool stickers on your car

Cons
1) bottle constantly needs refilling
2) bottle is always empty when you most need it
3) 'Nitrous Candle'-it aint funny when its your car
4) you always want more power, which can lead to KABOOM!!!

Good luck, let us know,,,

The pro's sound good

rand49er
04-17-08, 08:19 PM
Cheapest way to big power ... but, be careful of a ka-boom.

SuperV_Rob
04-17-08, 08:37 PM
Spend the money, buy a maggie, then you have the power all the time with no bottle to refill :)

CTSV_510
04-17-08, 08:42 PM
for you guys that don't take on the maggie install yourself, what type of $$ have you paid to shops to do the install?

sorry for the thread jack

StealthV
04-17-08, 09:13 PM
IIRC, Magnuson rates it an eight hour job. So you're looking at about a grand with incidentals.

CTSV_510
04-17-08, 09:18 PM
IIRC, Magnuson rates it an eight hour job. So you're looking at about a grand with incidentals.

ok thanks Stealth. I searched everywhere and couldn't find anyone that posted about install prices.

AlmostAV
04-17-08, 11:36 PM
whoever said a cam is a waste (our cars only have 1) is a moron.

Natedog
04-17-08, 11:51 PM
this has been discussed numerous times, but the harris speed works kit is inexpensive (for the power ur getting) and mated with the right components (new plugs, window switch, etc) can give you a safe 75-150 extra hp... go for it !

CT-CTSV
04-18-08, 09:20 AM
What about smaller upgrade jobs? Cams, Headers, and stuff like that? Do they really help performance to a noticeable level, or am I going to still feel empty inside.... :O)

Also, Is there a chip for this car? I see "Programmers", but have yet to see any chips that sometimes help.

CT-CTSV
04-18-08, 01:51 PM
I am possibly looking into an upgraded Intake Manifold and wondering how anyone has had good or bad experience with them? I found this below and it seems to be a decent deal for $499

Professional Products 96mm Typhoon Intake Manifold- LS1/LS6 Vehicles (Polished)
http://marylandspeed.com/professional-products-96mm-typhoon-intake-manifold-ls1ls6-vehicles-polished-prp52064-p-831.html

Is this something to consider, and will I have to upgrade any additional parts, or is it a plug and play unit?

The Tony Show
04-18-08, 01:54 PM
A 17hp gain WITH a Lunati cam- that means that stock cam gains will be negligible. Unless you're planning on a cam it isn't worth it.

AlmostAV
04-18-08, 03:05 PM
96mm is too big on a stock cube motor imo

randycsvt
04-19-08, 01:44 AM
What is the recommended nitrous shot for these cars with the stock clutch?

Mod hell hit me hard on my last car. I got a nitrous kit, and loved it at first. Upped the shot and loved it some more. The clutch began to slip, and my great deal $300 nitrous kit (not a cheap kit, just got a good deal) turned into a new clutch, flywheel, and Torsen LSD. Might as well go all out when fixing something.

How much nitrous can a CTS-V take without upgrading the clutch?

LUVMY04V
04-19-08, 09:12 AM
What is the recommended nitrous shot for these cars with the stock clutch?

Mod hell hit me hard on my last car. I got a nitrous kit, and loved it at first. Upped the shot and loved it some more. The clutch began to slip, and my great deal $300 nitrous kit (not a cheap kit, just got a good deal) turned into a new clutch, flywheel, and Torsen LSD. Might as well go all out when fixing something.

How much nitrous can a CTS-V take without upgrading the clutch?Knowing not much at all about the v clutch I would say 100 and a shot only in 3rd and 4th all day long. ;) should last forever with a good tune. So dont be greedy :sneaky:

Claimslngr
04-19-08, 12:58 PM
I am possibly looking into an upgraded Intake Manifold and wondering how anyone has had good or bad experience with them? I found this below and it seems to be a decent deal for $499

Professional Products 96mm Typhoon Intake Manifold- LS1/LS6 Vehicles (Polished)
http://marylandspeed.com/professional-products-96mm-typhoon-intake-manifold-ls1ls6-vehicles-polished-prp52064-p-831.html

Is this something to consider, and will I have to upgrade any additional parts, or is it a plug and play unit?

Local Speed shop said this unit looks good and works good but has heat sink issues in our cars and on the vette. He said to wait for the weiand product that is already supposed to be out.:bigroll:

CT-CTSV
04-19-08, 01:59 PM
What about an upgraded throttle body?