: Turbo Help on 05 CTS-V

CT-CTSV
04-17-08, 01:41 PM
I am one year into ownership on my 2005 CTS-V, Corsa Exhaust, Lingenfelter Intake, etc... I am wondering, instead of spending $6,000+ on a Supercharger kit, Could I actually install a T26 Turbo? I am not too mechanical myself, and I would have to have it custom installed, but is it possible, and would I benefit from it? A friend has the T26 bored turbo for $300. At that price I figured it couldnt hurt to ask. I figure it just has to be "piped" right correct?

Again, Any help is appreciated. I am only looking to get a small increase in power of less than 50-100hp without spending a ton.

THanks for any help.

thebigjimsho
04-17-08, 03:21 PM
Ibtm!!

Kadonny
04-17-08, 04:10 PM
Sell the 05 and buy a V2. You'll get an additional 150 hp.

urbanski
04-17-08, 05:13 PM
Ibtm!!

yeah i am slow today :rolleyes:
moved to the proper forum

LUVMY04V
04-17-08, 05:31 PM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901911

v10boost
04-18-08, 12:10 AM
i thought about it first but i didn't want to go through all the headache of r&d. Supercharger is not cheap but good proven product. just do the supercharger and corsa and call it a day.

shadybx7
04-18-08, 01:19 AM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901911

go with the turbo. be patient and wait for the OFI kit to come out then buy the parts you need... so everything but the turbo.

there is no cheap way to get forced induction on any N/A car unless your willing to sacrifice durability.

Naf
04-18-08, 01:49 AM
Be warned you are trekkin in sensitive territory. There are plenty of ways to make the same HP and not spend the dinaro Greengo.

There is no replacement for displacement. Its cheaper in the Long Run and stealth.

if you still need that little bit more then you can Maggie it and not feel bad for you will know the bottom end will make it till tomorrow...

Rey
04-18-08, 10:46 AM
A turbo is still in the research and development stage, no matter what a vendor says. This means you will have to sort out lots of little nagging problems, and if you cannot do it yourself, it will cost you big money.
A Maggie works, but the cost may be beyond your budget.
Consider doing some incremental mods. A good header system will give you a nice boost. A ZO6/7 flywheel/clutch will make your Caddy feel 500 lb lighter. A good computer tune will give you some horsepower. Install a bigger throttle body will also net good gain. There is an alternative to the FAST intake, that being your intake being modified to accept a 90mm throttle body. TPIS makes the kit, and it can be had from TPIS or Lingenfelter.
TPIS's test mule with the foregoing mods but stock exhaust and cold air intake made 384 RWHP, which is about 50 RWHP gain over bone stock. I have the same mods as TPIS and really like the drivability of the car. It has no faults, other than the usual traction limitations. Note, I have known TPIS owner for 50 years, so I tend to favor TPIS products over similar products. Nevertheless, I do not hesitate to purchase from other vendors if I prefer their products.
Finaly, consider a nitrous system, but do take the time to learn about nitrous so you can be a knowledgeable purchaser.

CT-CTSV
04-18-08, 10:57 AM
Rey - AWESOME HELP
Thanks.

I am considerring the Larger Throttle Body, but does anything have to change with my current intake? I have the Lingenfelter intake now, so is there any additional modifying if I buy a 90mm Throttle body or anything? Also, do you know what the stock Throttle body mm is? I am looking for the right upgrade without overdoing it. I am never going to put this car to 700+hp, but am looking into 450-500 ranges.

bjohnso0
04-19-08, 02:43 PM
From a voice of experience, a turbo set up is a BLAST, but it is a ton of work. I built my own twin turbo set up for my 05 and it took 6 months and a lot of trial and error. You will end up spending more on the turbo than a maggie. Also, a T27 is way to small for any LSX engine. I'm running two T3/60-1 hybrids, both capable of supporting 450 hp.

CT-CTSV
04-21-08, 10:44 AM
makes sense. I think I am going to upgrade my throttle body first and see what that does for small HP gains.

sleepys4
07-10-08, 03:03 AM
DId you ever get around to modifying your throttle body? If so what kind did you go with?

Overd0s3
12-07-09, 05:36 PM
From a voice of experience, a turbo set up is a BLAST, but it is a ton of work. I built my own twin turbo set up for my 05 and it took 6 months and a lot of trial and error. You will end up spending more on the turbo than a maggie. Also, a T27 is way to small for any LSX engine. I'm running two T3/60-1 hybrids, both capable of supporting 450 hp.

bringing a thread from the dead....

details please?

why did it take 6 months? I am looking to do one I was hoping it could be done in 1 week or less I guess not haha

maxspeed96ct
12-07-09, 08:29 PM
Good to see another V from CT, what area are you from.

also you should realy do some reading and spend some time on reading threads and check out LS1tech.com for technical stuff on our motors.

Dont just jump the gun and try to slap on a 300$ turbo your buddie wants to sell.

Black Sunshine
12-07-09, 08:35 PM
Here's another example:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/175864-my-twin-turbo-408-almost-done.html

CadiBlk
12-10-09, 12:15 AM
Good to see another V from CT, what area are you from.

also you should realy do some reading and spend some time on reading threads and check out LS1tech.com for technical stuff on our motors.

Dont just jump the gun and try to slap on a 300$ turbo your buddie wants to sell.

I don't think he's jumping the gun, he poasted this in April of 2008...

rand49er
12-10-09, 11:22 PM
... why did it take 6 months? ...My guess would be that because there's no kit with all the custom plumbing all worked out for you, there's a lot of dinking around required. He probably had other things going on in his life, too, and couldn't devote 100% of his time to it.

Wonder if he ever dyno'd it ...

Overd0s3
12-11-09, 12:37 AM
My guess would be that because there's no kit with all the custom plumbing all worked out for you, there's a lot of dinking around required. He probably had other things going on in his life, too, and couldn't devote 100% of his time to it.

Wonder if he ever dyno'd it ...

Well if thats the case I want to know for sure because time is the only thing I DO have on my hands so I can tinker around...

JimmyH
12-12-09, 03:25 PM
Spending time to save money, or spending money to save time...

Both are in very limited quantities for me. But I would lean towards the latter and go with a maggie.