: Dealership is Replacing Motor in my 2007 ESV

WVESV
04-16-08, 03:28 PM
I bought my 2007 ESV used from an independent dealer with 35000 miles on it. I bought it off of eBay from an independent dealership and had the Cadillac dealership in Dearborn MI inspect the vehicle before I bought it (they said the only issue they found was a leaking rear shock that they replaced). Ever since we received the vehicle (it was shipped to us), it has sounded like a diesel when pulling away from a dead stop. It is espescially bad in the morning when the engine is cold. You really cannot hear it at speed going down the road. In spite of the noise, the vehicle has performed well. We took it on a 2000 mile trip towing a trailer and never had a single issue with it. Well, before the trip, my wife took it to a nearby dealer to have the noise checked out and she was told it was normal. They did note it in the record of the vehicle incase we had issues related to it later. After getting back from the trip I decided to take it down there myself because I knew it was not supposed to sound that way. They gave me a loaner and kept it over night. They called me this morning and said yes the noise is loud, no it should not sound like that, and that GM had a recall on the engines so they are not allowed to go into them...only replace the entire engine. So...they are going to replace the motor and ship my motor back to GM in tact.

Has anyone had similar issues with their motor?

hcvone
04-16-08, 04:12 PM
I exploded an engine on one of my 07' Escalade's, GM replaced the truck because it was 30 days old with 800 miles on it, in my case there was a batch of defective intake valves (same as used on the Z06) When was your truck built? The date is on the door sticker on the top if I remember correctly. What are the last 6 numbers in your VIN?

roccos_van
04-16-08, 05:45 PM
Sounds like what you were describing was 'piston slap' which is considered normal with LS style engines. My truck has a tiny bit of piston slap in the morning and when cold but it's gone in about a minute as the motor warms up.

DaveH28
04-16-08, 09:18 PM
I am not sure what other issues they've had with these engines but it is true about GM not wanting dealers to go in and repair the engines, they'll yank one off the assembly line and ship it to the dealer 100% complete.. the truth is you're better off that way anyway..

they want these engines back for R&D and they don't want anyone going inside them to replace mechanical engine components..

WVESV
04-16-08, 09:23 PM
Wha won't get replaced when they do the swap? What will they use off the old engine?

GM-4-LIFE
04-16-08, 09:56 PM
Consider yourself lucky. You get a new 2008 engine and you are covered under warranty on the new engine as well. At least GM stepped up and took care of you and didn't make any excuses.

SG

Dif
04-17-08, 12:56 AM
My EXT always had a rapping or loud ticking sound in the engine.
Just thought it was piston slap since it would quiet down after the engine warmed up.
About a month ago it started to get louder ( sounded like a diesel ) and didn't completely go away after engine warmed up.
I started to think it was a sticky Lifter instead of piston slap.
Then, about a week ago got stuck in traffic taking 2 hrs to go 2 miles.
Basically all that time the truck was just sitting idling for 2 hours.
Since then, no more rap or ticking from the engine except once on a cold morning, and it went away about 2 minutes after startup. :suspect:

hcvone
04-17-08, 08:41 AM
I am not sure what other issues they've had with these engines but it is true about GM not wanting dealers to go in and repair the engines, they'll yank one off the assembly line and ship it to the dealer 100% complete.. the truth is you're better off that way anyway..

they want these engines back for R&D and they don't want anyone going inside them to replace mechanical engine components..

I watched two GM engineer's ripped my engine that exploded apart with me standing there watching them and they showed me the damaged parts, they did not have to look long. These engines are sold as crate engines and there was a new engine at the dealership in a crate in two days. It just costs GM less to replace the engine rather than rebuild when you think about long term warranty. :)

DaveH28
04-19-08, 06:54 PM
WVESV -- the engine will be complete from intake to oil pan.. which is funny because you actually have to remove the intake before installing the engine in the truck :)

anyway all of your belt-driven accessories will be reused (alternator, a/c compressor, power steering, etc) -- anything that attaches to the engine is reused, but the engine itself is new..