: Quck Question on Front Diffs

dbarnard67
04-16-08, 12:40 PM
Hey everyone, I have another quick question on the front differentials on the Escalades. What are some of the warning signs to look for to tip you off that you have a front differential getting ready to cause problems for you? Thanks, just wanting to know what to look for on these.

hcvone
04-16-08, 01:04 PM
Never changing the oil, that is one of the cheapest ways to keep it running longer. If you are starting to get a whine, of course by then it's pretty mych too late. Changing the gear oil every 20-25k miles and using synthetic oil will help.

dbarnard67
04-16-08, 01:16 PM
A whine when it is driving? Not sure when you are meaning by the whine.

hcvone
04-16-08, 02:07 PM
When the bearing are going bad you will get a whine when you give it gas or let off the gas while driving

dbarnard67
04-16-08, 02:48 PM
Ok, thanks, not getting that and have just changed the diff fluid so I'll have to keep an ear out for it. I am getting this "wheel hop" when I am turning at very slow speeds at full turn. I have turned off the stabilitrac, same thing, replaced hubs, same thing. I have driven a 4WD before and it is not the normal grab, feels like a shudder or vibration in the steering. Out of ideas, not sure what it is, but it does not happen when I first start driving, only after I have been driving for about 20 minutes or so.

hcvone
04-16-08, 03:08 PM
Look in your phone book for any shops that are 4 wheel drive shops, they maybe able to help you the most finding your problem.

dbarnard67
04-16-08, 03:10 PM
Called A guy and he just said it could be fluid needs changed in Transfer Case? Sounds like a stretch. Transfer case vs diff, not sure.

hcvone
04-17-08, 07:31 AM
What year is your truck?

dbarnard67
04-22-08, 09:43 PM
Truck is a 2002 AWD with 6.0. Really having trouble with this one, truck runs great for the first 15 minutes then when I start turning sharp at low speeds bad hop or chatter on the front tires, I have replaced hubs, rotors brakes. Not wanting to have a mechanic "try" things until he finds it. I know that is what I am doing but rotors needed done anyway and I don't have a huge labor bill.

hcvone
04-23-08, 07:10 AM
That is strange that when it heats up is the only time it does it, something is binding, maybe a low fluid condition, just a guess

dbarnard67
04-23-08, 11:35 AM
I changed the front diff fluid, I could check it's levels again. Should I change the transfer case fluid and if so what kind of fluid should I use.