: Why Are Most GT-R Fans So Ridiculously Annoying?

The Tony Show
04-16-08, 10:19 AM
Disclaimer: If anyone on here happens to like the GT-R, I'll extend my apologies now... I know everyone isn't the same and I'm just commenting on repeated experiences with several other GT-R fans.

But seriously... can someone shed some light on this phenomena? Is it because many buy them to compensate for this, that, or some other... so subsequently they feel an "attack" on their GT-R is a purposeful attack on their insecurities? Who knows... but it's just weird that they get so completely outraged and defensive when someone questions its capabilities.

I honestly think though, that an GT-R is one of the ultimate "poseur" vehicles. This is a rare occasion where I can say that I truly respect those who buy one merely for its "show-off" factor... but I can't understand how some believe that they are top-notch racing vehicles that have a well balanced chassis instead of just some amazing computers to compensate for the understeer and weight. I constantly hear from those with that point of view that a GT-R more than belongs in the same league as a Porsche, and will then also usually put down a Corvette.

I really don't get it at all. How can someone make the claim that a GT-R has a well balanced design when it drives like a pig with the aids turned off, and is numb and hard to break loose with them on? Can someone please explain this... because unless I'm totally missing something, GT-Rs are built on the old FM platform, correct? And while they'll then counter with it being a "highly modified" version of the FM (now called the PM)... as far as I can tell... the biggest difference being that it uses carbon injection in front frame and composite underneath for downforce.... Even the (not so) "heavy" modifications are counterproductive for a neutral handling vehicle... the turbos and transfer cases and all of it adds up to entirely too much weight for balanced performance... I've never met any serious road racer who would find such mass to be beneficial and want a car that only handles well with the electronic nannies left on. A well designed car drives better with them off.

I firmly believe that the GT-R is a fast, good handling and impressive car, but I wouldn't call them bona fide track monsters. Because of which... it seems to me that an GT-R is still nothing more than a highly modified AWD 350Z with a heavy modification in marketing. I'm sure many of you have seen the video of the Keiichi Tsuchiya calling the car "nose heavy" and "ponderous" with the computer aids turned off.

So in all honesty... am I the only one who doesn't see it? Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to put a souped up Nissan amongst vehicles such as a 911?

I guess my bottom line is that it's perfectly acceptable to own one for the sake of making some sort of varied statement... there are a lot of cars that do the same... But as a serious track monster and a "true" exotic car? That's just a bit delusional IMO.

Lord Cadillac
04-16-08, 10:32 AM
Subscribed

Brett
04-16-08, 10:33 AM
that was ominous

thebigjimsho
04-16-08, 11:17 AM
I like the GT-R and the 911 and the Vette and the R8. I guess I'm an enigma.

Blackout
04-16-08, 11:36 AM
Disclaimer: If anyone on here happens to like the GT-R, I'll extend my apologies now... I know everyone isn't the same and I'm just commenting on repeated experiences with several other GT-R fans.

But seriously... can someone shed some light on this phenomena?The reason why the GT-R is as big of a deal as it is is that the Skyline was never sold in the U.S. so the car has a HUGE cult following behind it. The U.S. finally gets the GT-R and it's the best version to date so U.S. car nuts who have been clamoring at the bit for a GT-R for over 10 years now can finally get one. The GT-R's original target was the Porsche 911 but while aiming for that goal Nissan has surpassed damn near every other production car ever made, especially for the price tag on the GT-R as well. What the CTS-V or the V series in general was to Cadillac the GT-R is to Nissan but times 100,000,000,000. Nissan hasn't had a real sports car since the last 300ZX Twin Turbo (sorry, I don't put the 350Z on that same level just my opinion) so Nissan is tossing all of their eggs into this one basket and with all of the testing that has been done to the car so far it's going to be worth the wait.

Is it because many buy them to compensate for this, that, or some other... so subsequently they feel an "attack" on their GT-R is a purposeful attack on their insecurities?So the GT-R is the ONLY car that people would buy to compensate for a lack of something else? Every sports car owner out there damn near has bought their car so they can say "look at me!" this is not a new concept by any means. If I was to start talking negatively about the cars that you own wouldn't you feel the need to at least say something in your defense?

Who knows... but it's just weird that they get so completely outraged and defensive when someone questions its capabilities.I'm not following you here. I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% sure this thread is directed towards me so I'm not really sure as to how I have gotten "outraged" when you question it's abilities. They have done numerous tests on the base GT-R and the numbers are amazing so I fail to see as to how you could question the cars abilities when every car website/magazine/TV show/etc is in love with the car.

I honestly think though, that an GT-R is one of the ultimate "poseur" vehicles. This is a rare occasion where I can say that I truly respect those who buy one merely for its "show-off" factor... but I can't understand how some believe that they are top-notch racing vehicles that have a well balanced chassis instead of just some amazing computers to compensate for the understeer and weight. I constantly hear from those with that point of view that a GT-R more than belongs in the same league as a Porsche, and will then also usually put down a Corvette.U.S. likes to have big block RWD sports cars, Euro companies care more about handling and nice smooth power bands, the Jap's go with technology. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you have inside of the car, it comes down to who wins the race. I've seen a Smart car out run a Ferrari F430 in a drag race when they put a Suzuki Hayabusa engine in the Smart car. Different strokes for different folks. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that you should run around putting people down who do like it.

I really don't get it at all. How can someone make the claim that a GT-R has a well balanced design when it drives like a pig with the aids turned off, and is numb and hard to break loose with them on? Can someone please explain this... because unless I'm totally missing something, GT-Rs are built on the old FM platform, correct? And while they'll then counter with it being a "highly modified" version of the FM (now called the PM)... as far as I can tell... the biggest difference being that it uses carbon injection in front frame and composite underneath for downforce.... Even the (not so) "heavy" modifications are counterproductive for a neutral handling vehicle... the turbos and transfer cases and all of it adds up to entirely too much weight for balanced performance... I've never met any serious road racer who would find such mass to be beneficial and want a car that only handles well with the electronic nannies left on. A well designed car drives better with them off.Once again, different strokes for different folks. If Nissan tuned the car to run as best as possible with the aids turned on then why turn then off? Even with as heavy as the GT-R is and what not it still turned a better lap time around the 'Ring then the Z06 did so I guess you should be venting at GM for letting a smaller displacement, heavy pig of a car with two less cylinders beat up your current halo vehicle.

I firmly believe that the GT-R is a fast, good handling and impressive car, but I wouldn't call them bona fide track monsters. Because of which... it seems to me that an GT-R is still nothing more than a highly modified AWD 350Z with a heavy modification in marketing. I'm sure many of you have seen the video of the Keiichi Tsuchiya calling the car "nose heavy" and "ponderous" with the computer aids turned off.This is an AWD 350Z http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4dBEim3jdE&feature=related JUN bored the VQ35DE out to 3.8 liters and they twin turbo'd the car and now it's a beast. I just don't get as to why you keep on saying how the GT-R wouldn't be a track monster. Out of every car that has been made and gotten timed at the 'Ring the GT-R beat them all damn near. Once the V Spec comes out it will destroy the current record. Their current goal is for under 7:25. So if a 13 mile long track with more turns then the state of Rhode Island and running it faster then any other production car ever made doesn't constitute a track monster then I dunno what will

So in all honesty... am I the only one who doesn't see it? Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to put a souped up Nissan amongst vehicles such as a 911?At the end of the day it comes down to performance, not name plates, not what badge is on the car, and not what country it's from. So from that stand point the GT-R is a better performer then the 911. I've posted numerous comparison tests and the numbers confirm it so your basically arguing about a null point.

I guess my bottom line is that it's perfectly acceptable to own one for the sake of making some sort of varied statement... there are a lot of cars that do the same... But as a serious track monster and a "true" exotic car? That's just a bit delusional IMO.So what constitutes a track monster and a true exotic? GT-R V spec running 7:25 lap time at the ring so you can check one off for it being a track monster. True exotic, well it's using the same weight savings products that Ferrari and Lamborghini use, the GT-R uses state of the art technology like Ferrari does with their paddles shifters, and the GT-R beats any production car from either one of those "true" exotic car companies so what exactly does Nissan have to do in order for you to be happy? I'm 100% sure that if the GT-R has a Chevy badge on it or a Cadillac badge you would be singing the cars praises until the cows come home. I'm starting to think that you are one of those guys that, "If it comes from Japan then it's junk. Domestic pwns all!!!!111!!!!!!!111!!!!" but the proof is in the pudding.

Blackout
04-16-08, 11:36 AM
I like the GT-R and the 911 and the Vette and the R8. I guess I'm an enigma.

Yes you is. BTW how's the CTS-V running?

CIWS
04-16-08, 11:37 AM
I haven't had a chance to drive one, so it's kind of hard to speak too much about it simply from data posted in articles in mags and on the net. However I'll be driving one on Gran Turismo this evening :D (yeah that's PS3 graphics, not a photo)

http://ps3.psu.com/media/gran-turismo-5/site_gran-turismo-5-ss-192.jpg

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-16-08, 11:41 AM
Wow, you know I think I just read something that started just like this and had the same exact format... Wonder what it could have been???

The Tony Show
04-16-08, 11:53 AM
At least someone got the joke- I only changed about 20 words in the entire post.

gary88
04-16-08, 11:57 AM
I've seen a Smart car out run a Ferrari F430 in a drag race when they put a Suzuki Hayabusa engine in the Smart car.

But at the end of the day one guy drives home in a Ferrari, the other drives home in a Smart Car :thepan:

urbanski
04-16-08, 12:02 PM
Subscribed

that was ominous

:haha:

HushH
04-16-08, 12:04 PM
Tony, I kind of get what you're saying, although I am a fan of the GT-R and think it's worthy of most of the accolades the experts have bestowed upon it.

I think the reason you see so many annoying fanboys is because the GT-R is seen by many as the ultimate "tuner" car. It's every fart-canned, Civic-driving ricer's dream car. So many of them go way overboard with their non-sensical posts and claims just like they do with their cars.

Having said that, there are many true GT-R enthusiasts and owners who are much more like the good posters over here on CF. They're just far outnumbered by the bad ones.

Oh, and this post isn't directed at anyone here on CF.

HushH
04-16-08, 12:06 PM
And I missed the joke too.

Playdrv4me
04-16-08, 12:16 PM
:haha:

:werd:

thebigjimsho
04-16-08, 12:29 PM
Yes you is. BTW how's the CTS-V running?Tis running well, thank you. But I do have a bad motor mount, I believe, and need to get that fixed before Summit Point.

The Tony Show
04-16-08, 12:39 PM
And I missed the joke too.

I figured the exact copy and paste (plus a few minor word changes) would be noticeable. Oh well.

dkozloski
04-16-08, 12:41 PM
I figured the exact copy and paste (plus a few minor word changes) would be noticeable. Oh well.
That's what happens when you cast your pearls before swine.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-16-08, 12:41 PM
I got the joke too. Is it a one sided joke, or a two sided joke?

AMGoff
04-16-08, 12:49 PM
I'll expect my royalty check very soon... lol.

The Tony Show
04-16-08, 12:51 PM
It's the sincerest form of flattery.

HushH
04-16-08, 01:29 PM

Yeah, I just skipped over the other thread entirely.

JimmyH
04-16-08, 01:35 PM
I like Hummers.

Jesda
04-16-08, 02:52 PM
http://media.fukung.net/images/8132/d5fbc742f9f6826c661eef00a74cbb64.jpg

hueterm
04-16-08, 05:10 PM
My question (well 2 actually) is 1.) why did they have to make it so freakin' ugly? and 2.) is this the same basic car that got posted on a while back where that Canadian kid w/the deformed hands stole it and got owned w/his arrest video on YouTube?

eyekandyboats.inc
04-16-08, 06:13 PM
WTF, copy and paste special or did i miss something

Disclaimer: If anyone on here happens to own an H2, I'll extend my apologies now... I know everyone isn't the same and I'm just commenting on repeated experiences with several other H2 owners.

But seriously... can someone shed some light on this phenomena? Is it because many buy them to compensate for this, that, or some other... so subsequently they feel an "attack" on their H2 is a purposeful attack on their insecurities? Who knows... but it's just weird that they get so completely outraged and defensive when someone questions its capabilities.

I honestly think though, that an H2 is one of the ultimate "poseur" vehicles. This is a rare occasion where I can say that I truly respect those who buy one merely for its "show-off" factor... but I can't understand how some believe that they are top-notch off-road vehicles that share more in common with a real "H1" Hummer than its GM stablemates. I constantly hear from those with that point of view that an H2 more than belongs in the same league as a Range Rover and will then also usually put down a Jeep.

I really don't get it at all. How can someone make the claim that an H2 shares more in common with an H1, than it does with a Tahoe? Can someone please explain this... because unless I'm totally missing something, H2s are built on the old GMT800 platform, correct? And while they'll then counter with it being a "highly modified" version of the GMT800... as far as I can tell... any of the modifications come straight out of the GM parts-bin... with the biggest difference being that it uses a Chevy/GMC 2500 front end with a 1500 rear-end... however, the engines are standard GM fare... the transmissions are standard GM 4-speed autos (I think the brand new ones finally got a 6-speed). Even the (not so)"heavy" modifications are counterproductive for an offroad vehicle... the 2500 front end is too bulky and cumbersome for off-road use and the 1500 rear offers nothing special over a normal Tahoe/Suburban... and all of it adds up to entirely too much weight for offroad performance... I've never met any serious off-roader who would find such mass to be beneficial.

I firmly believe that the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban is an excellent vehicle that's big, comfortable, decent in inclement weather, and can literally haul tons of stuff... but I wouldn't call them bona fide trail-monsters. Because of which... it seems to me that an H2 is still nothing more than a slightly modified Tahoe with a heavy modification in marketing. Beyond that, they don't even appear to be all that "rugged." I'm sure many of you have seen the video of the H2 throwing a tie-rod while attempting to tackle some relatively small rocks... hell, I've even heard of a few doing such while just trying to negotiate a big speed bump.

So in all honesty... am I the only one who doesn't see it? Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to put a GMT800 vehicle amongst vehicles such as a Land Rover? I can't even see how they would adequately stack up against most 4WD Jeeps.

JimmyH
04-16-08, 06:26 PM

ummmm, that was kind of the whole point methinks...

dkozloski
04-16-08, 06:49 PM
It was a joke on Brownout, ugh, I mean Blackout.

The Tony Show
04-16-08, 11:21 PM

You missed something.

Albertan
04-17-08, 12:18 AM
Tony
I got it, at first I though you were getting lazy...

The Tony Show
04-17-08, 09:35 AM
Me lazy?

Nevah. :)

gary88
04-17-08, 11:30 AM
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Jonas McFeely
04-17-08, 10:48 PM
Ahhh. Glad to see stuff like this this is still going on. Blackout still on the defense, Tony still with the :Poke:.

But i have chicken in the oven.

Oh, and holy shit i cant believe im in the calender. Mr. September. When did that happen? I had to buy one. Should have gotten it for free. I miss that car...

No, im not drunk either.

JimmyH
04-18-08, 11:07 AM
Holy crap! He returns!!!!
what up Jonas?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-18-08, 11:47 AM
The prodigal son has returned! Jonas, have you tried McD's new "Southern Style" Chicken Sandwich? If you haven't, it's an awful lot like Chick-Fil-A.