: Look at these plugs

Raider81
04-16-08, 12:48 AM
Just changed my spark plugs at 78,400 mile. What do you fellas think of these plugs. 2001 deville, I was getting 13 MPG and decided to change my plugs to see if it help raise my MPG ?

C&C
04-16-08, 05:59 AM
They look absolutely perfect to me. Did you, just for giggles, check the gap to see if it had grown much from spec. Did you replace them with OEM; word is that that is the way to go.

Submariner409
04-16-08, 10:02 AM
Those plugs weren't the problem. 13 mpg where - city or highway ? Hope you used ACDelco 41-987 platinum replacements (same plug, made in Japan, different name on the insulator.....) What condition were the connector boots in ? Just curious.

krimson_cardnal
04-16-08, 01:07 PM
Seriously doubt new plugs will effect anything, those don't look bad at all - another 30K in them for sure and plugs have very little to do with fuel economy - very little. Most MPG related issues stem from basic driving habits, period. Clean the TB and use the Top Tier fuel and like I've seen said treat that accelerator as if you have and egg under your foot and don't break the egg. Switch your MPG to instant - not average and drive for high numbers. WOT is an occasional treat - not a daily chore. There's a continual temptation w/ a NorthStar to whip the ponies, each time you do you're feeding them, sometimes a whole lot - hi-test low-test no matter those boys are gonna feed. Keeping the lungs clean is the best you can do to improve MPG. K_C

Raider81
04-16-08, 03:06 PM
I did replace them with O.E.M plugs (ac delco 41-987). The boots looked nice and clean. Since i changed my plugs my M.P.G has gone up to 16.8
I did check the gap and i was at a .45 gap and did check for any gas leaks and didnt see any.

stoveguyy
04-16-08, 06:51 PM
drive for a few more weeks and see if your mpg stays constant or drops down to your previous average. new plugs make you feel better but do little for mileage.

Ur7x
04-21-08, 11:57 AM
I did replace them with O.E.M plugs (ac delco 41-987). The boots looked nice and clean. Since i changed my plugs my M.P.G has gone up to 16.8
I did check the gap and i was at a .45 gap and did check for any gas leaks and didnt see any.

The plugs looked perfectly fine... almost like new...
Placebo effect?

walleyetroller
04-28-08, 06:23 PM
OK Raider............how hard was it to get the rear plugs out of that 2001 DTS. How did you go about removing that module on top of the rear coil pack? I can see where the metallic pipe goes down behind the engine but haven't quite figured out how to remove it.

Submariner409
04-28-08, 06:56 PM
Gotta put the car on a lift and disconnect the A.I.R. pipe from down below first........then the whole assembly comes off. Same with my STS. PITA

Walleyetroller........Iowa.......try Lake of The Woods, MN. Think Spring!! White Perch in MD, too......

walleyetroller
04-29-08, 07:05 AM
Thanks for info. Never fished lake of the woods but have fished in Canada. Used to do a lot of fishing on the Mississippi River. Caught a lot of walleye out of that river.

pontiacsouth
04-30-08, 11:52 AM
OK Raider............how hard was it to get the rear plugs out of that 2001 DTS. How did you go about removing that module on top of the rear coil pack? I can see where the metallic pipe goes down behind the engine but haven't quite figured out how to remove it.

I changed the plugs on my 01 DTS a few months ago. I did not have to remove the metalic pipe. Just removed the bracket & the module on the rear coil. There are some 10mm nuts you need to remove & then you can disconnect the hose from the module. It is kinda a bear to get at but doesnt take long once i figured how to remove it. Hope that helps...

walleyetroller
05-03-08, 01:02 PM
I finally got around to getting underneath my DTS and it looked impossilbe to unhook that bendable metallic pipe from underneath. Not sure how Raider was able to do it. Must have some specialized tools I don't have.