: V Flywheels??

rangerrob
04-15-08, 04:51 PM
Aftermarket Flywheels... don't know a whole lot about what they do, but have read the info on the UUC site about theirs. Question is which flywheel to go with from the following who make aftermarket flywheels for the V:

Fidanza Flywheel
SPEC 13lds Clutch & Flywheel
UUC Flywheel
Centerforce Clutch & Flywheel
Stock c5 Z06 Clutch & Flywheel

Not sure on which brand is best for the buck. Also Spec and Centerforce say they can only be used with their brand clutch? Is it feasible to upgrade both at same time? Wouldn't want to dish out extra $ if it's not necessary. Also had a few questions between the different stages that can be offered on some clutch set ups ranging from stages 1-5. Not sure on what the different stages would do, and which would be most appropriate for a daily driver "hot rod caddy" :D Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

trukk
04-15-08, 05:08 PM
Rob,

I've been holding off on this untill my OEM clutch goes. It seems like a waste of labor to install a flywheel without doing the clutch, and I can't bring myself to replace my perfectly good clutch.

I've been leaning towards the Textrallia OZ clutch/flywheel, in conjunction with a KaTech spacer, and a remote bleeder from The LAPD (queue Lunarx for the link ;) ). It is my understanding that a bit of grinding on the bellhousing is required for this solution.

UUC is a no brainer if you plan to keep the stock clutch, since it fits with no added bits. Since I have more HP than stock, I won't be using the UUC.

Let us know what you decide.

-Chris

JonCR96Z
04-15-08, 06:39 PM
Rob,

I've been holding off on this untill my OEM clutch goes. It seems like a waste of labor to install a flywheel without doing the clutch, and I can't bring myself to replace my perfectly good clutch.

I've been leaning towards the Textrallia OZ clutch/flywheel, in conjunction with a KaTech spacer, and a remote bleeder from The LAPD (queue Lunarx for the link ;) ). It is my understanding that a bit of grinding on the bellhousing is required for this solution.

UUC is a no brainer if you plan to keep the stock clutch, since it fits with no added bits. Since I have more HP than stock, I won't be using the UUC.

Let us know what you decide.

-Chris

I have an extra KaTech spacer lying around, might can save you a few bucks.

jbss71
04-15-08, 06:55 PM
ls7 kit and be done with it. i think you can get one for $480 shipped. then add in a new slave, and throw out bearing. plus bleeder kit

rangerrob
04-15-08, 07:08 PM
ls7 kit and be done with it. i think you can get one for $480 shipped. then add in a new slave, and throw out bearing. plus bleeder kit

not speaking my language chief, i'm more or less a meathead... slave, throw out bearing, bleeder kit... it's greek to me... consider me almost as goofy as deano... lol, ok well maybe not that bad, (ps your a funny guy dean, the vids are hilarious, stil cant' get over the zero to sixty in zero seconds, rofl...)

jbss71
04-15-08, 07:32 PM
not speaking my language chief, i'm more or less a meathead... slave, throw out bearing, bleeder kit... it's greek to me... consider me almost as goofy as deano... lol, ok well maybe not that bad, (ps your a funny guy dean, the vids are hilarious, stil cant' get over the zero to sixty in zero seconds, rofl...) the gizmos that turn the clutch on and off other than your foot :yup: i dunno if the stock stuff works or not, i always replace them when i do a clutch mainly because if they go bad after you have to pull the trans out again.

CTSV_Rob
04-15-08, 09:31 PM
Went with the UUC flywheel because I was basically stock. I was low miles so I used the same clutch with the new flywheel and it worked out well.

Looking at a high horsepower solution myself and Lunarx's solution is the way I will probably go if he can get the bugs worked out.

You would be surprised what a difference it makes going to a lightened flywheel. With the fact that it is much lighter (30lbs lighter) the throttle response is soooo much different and the car is actually easier to drive as well as more fun. Very happy with the UUC but if I had to do over again I would have gone with another solution.

Mcloed (sp?) slave cylinder is the way I would go instead of the spacer when the time comes to replace the clutch.

rand49er
04-16-08, 09:28 AM
Got a UUC flywheel with 2k on it sitting in the garage. Was gonna install it till I realized that I'd have to take at least one side of the headers off ... which I really, really don't want to do. It's 18 lbs vs 50+ lbs for the stocker. If you have any interest, PM me.

rangerrob
04-16-08, 10:26 AM
Rand49er PM Sent

rangerrob
04-16-08, 05:51 PM
looks like i'm going to go with the UUC as of right now... unless anyone can sway me on the benefits of spending more on the ls7 setup, any takers??? ps. how much hp over stock can the UUC handle? i eventually want to get over the 500hp mark with a maggie in about a year... would the UUC be able to handle that much? i'm sure the ls7 can, so i'm still up in the air... need feedback from the guru's. thx

jbss71
04-16-08, 06:55 PM
the flywheel really doesn't have much to do with holding power its the clutch that holds the power. if you are going maggie you are going to need a clutch that can hold some tq.

lilred
04-16-08, 09:09 PM
... Very happy with the UUC but if I had to do over again I would have gone with another solution.

Elaborate please? I was thinking of going the UUC route as well.

Vee
04-17-08, 03:14 AM
Does a lighter flywheel actually make the car accelerate quicker?

Naf
04-17-08, 03:44 AM
HEHEHEHEHE,

Well long answer short, the engine doesnt have to spin the extra weight, which allows the power to be transfered to the rear.

The down side is you have to feather the clutch a little bit more, the upside is you lighten the load on the engine allowin it to rev up a little bit quicker...

Vee
04-17-08, 12:27 PM
So 2 cars that are identical, except one has a lightweight flywheel, the one with the lightweight flywheel will be a little quicker from street light to street light? More rwhp (more of the 400hp will be delivered to the rear wheels)?:hmm:

Albertan
04-17-08, 01:02 PM
I don't have practical flywheel experience but I can talk theory. With a heavy flywheel you should have more power to get the car moving from a dead stop. All that inertia. Used to be a small motor/heavy car use heavy flywheel wind it up to about 8,000 and dump clutch. Pulls front end up and away you go. ie old Z28. Engine revs stay high. This would seem exactly opposite of what would be good for our cars but if you look at it for street driving all the inertia will allow smooth clutch engagement without stalling. Now as far as acceleration, the engine has all the extra weight so it will rev slower, still makes the same torque and horsepower, it is just the rate of change that is slower with heavy flywheel.

lollygagger8
07-22-08, 02:05 PM
So, wtf? Is this a good idea or what? I'm looking at the UUC flywheel and wondering how much it can take HPwise and if this is a good upgrade for a daily driver as well.
Anybody got any input on this?

deedubb
07-22-08, 02:56 PM
So 2 cars that are identical, except one has a lightweight flywheel, the one with the lightweight flywheel will be a little quicker from street light to street light? More rwhp (more of the 400hp will be delivered to the rear wheels)?:hmm:

That is the concept that I have always understood.

Learjet
07-22-08, 03:53 PM
Had a Lingenfelter Alum. Flywheel put in 2 years ago with the Maggie and no problems.

lollygagger8
07-22-08, 05:01 PM
Had a Lingenfelter Alum. Flywheel put in 2 years ago with the Maggie and no problems.

How much was the damage on that? And did it need any adapters or special items or was it a bolt in replacement? I'm a town over from them and can go grab one from Lingenfelter

ctsv154
07-22-08, 05:26 PM
If it helps anybody. I have a fidanza ls7 aluminum flywheel, stock ls7 clutch and p/p along with my free (its nice to have freinds) custom made .950" spacer that I think is a whole lot better than anybody else's (the spacer supports the entire bottom side of the slave, not just the outside edge), and the bleader from LAPD. I had to do NO cutting of the bell housing and I get perfect engagement. Car reves much much quicker.

Got the slave bolts from ace hardware, made the spacer from a piece of 4" bar stock that a friends brother turned down and drilled to fit the slave I got replace for free under warranty. Used arp hardware for the flywheel and p/p. Flywheel cost $420, clutch an p/p cost 260 somthing. It'll hold well over 500 crank hp and still have a smooth engagment and stock pedal feel.

Learjet
07-22-08, 05:45 PM
I had it done with a "lot" of other work so the total was bizzard and didn't breakout the Flywheel cost.

Sorry

PISNUOFF
07-22-08, 07:49 PM
So, wtf? Is this a good idea or what? I'm looking at the UUC flywheel and wondering how much it can take HPwise and if this is a good upgrade for a daily driver as well.
Anybody got any input on this?

Yes, it's a good idea. Only changing clutch components and flywheel (28# savings over stock) to all C6-ZO6 has made my car noticeably quicker. Haven't tested at the dragstrip but I've been told that this combo will net about 30 rwhp and about 7 thenths in the 1/4. I'd have to say it's at least a half second. Prior to the change - easing into first gear and getting on it would result in no tire squeal (275 T1R's), after - it's slightly ripping the tires all through first gear.

The only downside is you have to re-learn how to drive the car smoothly. Just like it took you 2 weeks to do when you first bought it.:duck:

PS. There is a slave cylinder that will work with the ZO6 components and not need a spacer. I do NOT have a spacer installed and everything works awesome.

ctsv154
07-22-08, 09:42 PM
Yeah Mcloed makes a slave that you order different pistons for so you dont have to shim the slave. I was going to go that route in the event my dealer didn't warranty the old one. I was surprised they did when I walked in with the old part and told them it broke. My service guy was pretty cool though. He said he wasn't supposed to but he did it anyway. I told him since the rest of the car was out of warranty that I was putting a few other goodies in it while it was down and all I need is the slave! He said it'll be here in a week! So....cant beat a free 300+ dollar part!

ctsv154
07-22-08, 09:46 PM
By the way, C5 Z06 clutch and flywheel parts are completely different than C6 Z06 parts. So the same spacer I used may or may not work with the C5 stuff. But I can tell you if you use the C6 stuff, .950" works perfect!

lollygagger8
07-23-08, 11:26 AM
How much does the UUC Flywheel support as far as HP

ctsv154
07-23-08, 04:24 PM
How much does the UUC Flywheel support as far as HP

Flywheel has nothing to do with hp holding. It will hold as much as the clutch and p/p that is atached to it will handle.

Twitch
07-23-08, 05:37 PM
Does a lighter flywheel help with the clunck at all? Does it make shifting between gears smoother?

rand49er
07-24-08, 09:53 AM
Does a lighter flywheel help with the clunck at all? Does it make shifting between gears smoother?Don't know about the clunk, but I'd imagine shifting might require a bit closer matching of RPM to the tranny speed without that rotational inertia there to absorb differences.

Nothing you couldn't get used to, though.

darkman
07-24-08, 07:55 PM
I have used the UUC flywheel (which is manufactured by Fidanza and distributed by Lindsay) installed with a new stock clutch kit for 11 months and about 4,000 miles. My experience indicates:

1) No change in the "clunk" which I rarely notice anyway.
2) No change in leaving from a dead stop in either 1st or 2nd gear.
3) Quicker acceleration primarily in 1st and 2nd gear.
4) Easier rev matching when downshifting in corners to accelerate coming out of those corners.
5) Some gear noise when, and if, the engine is "lugged". Specifically, you can still use 6th gear to tool through a 30 mph neighborhood, but you are not going to accelerate without the gear noise to remind you that a downshift is in order.
6) In oridinary, daily driving, including stop and go traffic, I don't notice any change from the old dual mass flywheel. In other words, it shifts the same.

PISNUOFF
07-24-08, 08:03 PM
Does a lighter flywheel help with the clunck at all? Does it make shifting between gears smoother?

The lightweight flywheel is a single mass flywheel and the stock is a dual mass flywheel. The clunk is inherently worse with a single mass flywheel and transmission gear rattle is more pronounced also. Upshifting between gears is a little more difficult and just takes getting used to.

Twitch
07-24-08, 08:19 PM
The lightweight flywheel is a single mass flywheel and the stock is a dual mass flywheel. The clunk is inherently worse with a single mass flywheel and transmission gear rattle is more pronounced also. Upshifting between gears is a little more difficult and just takes getting used to.
I thought it was the other way around. Oh well, it's a good mod anyway. Just don't like removing the tranny just to put it in. I like it, but not on my short list right now.
Thanks

Tony

ctsv154
07-25-08, 12:35 AM
yeah the only reason I did mine was because the slave went out. Thought I might as well put something in there worth having while the tranny was out.

lollygagger8
07-25-08, 12:31 PM
I have used the UUC flywheel (which is manufactured by Fidanza and distributed by Lindsay) installed with a new stock clutch kit for 11 months and about 4,000 miles. My experience indicates:

1) No change in the "clunk" which I rarely notice anyway.
2) No change in leaving from a dead stop in either 1st or 2nd gear.
3) Quicker acceleration primarily in 1st and 2nd gear.
4) Easier rev matching when downshifting in corners to accelerate coming out of those corners.
5) Some gear noise when, and if, the engine is "lugged". Specifically, you can still use 6th gear to tool through a 30 mph neighborhood, but you are not going to accelerate without the gear noise to remind you that a downshift is in order.
6) In oridinary, daily driving, including stop and go traffic, I don't notice any change from the old dual mass flywheel. In other words, it shifts the same.

I like the sound of ALL that