: The middle bulb in the headlight

scroitoru
04-13-08, 10:33 PM
So there is the HID, for low and hig beam, at the bottom, and there is the DRL at the top.
So what's up with the middle bulb in the middle? When does it turn on?
What is it used for? I have an 08 Base, and I cannot figure out if it broke or it is just for decor.

Palomar9
04-14-08, 01:35 AM
Hmmm...good question.

brandonppr
04-14-08, 02:34 AM
Mine is on sometimes. I thought the middle one comes on in the day, DRL and the top one comes on at night with the headlights.

hcvone
04-14-08, 08:36 AM
Middle bulbs are day time running lights, top bulbs are parking lights that work with the headlights, and of course the bottom is the HID's for low and high beams

GM-4-LIFE
04-14-08, 12:03 PM
Middle bulbs are day time running lights, top bulbs are parking lights that work with the headlights, and of course the bottom is the HID's for low and high beams

Exactly and they are a pain in the arse to swap out. I changed out a burned out parking lamp a couple months ago, (top of headlamp assembly) and it was very difficult to get my hands back there to replace the burned out bulb. Luckily I have small hands. When we get our 2009 Escalade, I am going to swap out the dull looking white DRL for an amber bulb to give it a more distinct look. I know I am going to be swearing up a storm trying to swap out both. Hopefully they make the DRL bulb in an amber color.

SG

hcvone
04-14-08, 12:19 PM
I just leaving these alone, it's almost time they get replaced anyway. ;)

scroitoru
04-14-08, 02:55 PM
I could not see these on, but now I got it: the DRLs ONLY comes on when you shift out of Park. ..Duh...
I drove towards the building where I work, (have tinted windows), and I was able to see the middle bulbs on.

hdillingham
11-02-12, 07:41 AM
I have a 2012 escalade and I had the same question.The top light comes on very dim and then it stays on dim when the bottom light is onn for driving at night or dark enough to come on automatically. However, I have never been ab le to see the middle lights be on. I'll try and see if they are on when it is daylight outside and put the car in drive.

Rustico
11-02-12, 08:26 AM
The parking light (up top works at night with headlights for added accent) was burned out. IT was a pain to change. What is going on? It is not right for a car to make changing a bulb so hard.

CUTiger78
11-02-12, 11:57 AM
How come that parking light isn't amber?

Mine's white, I guess, but it's so dim, it almost looks brown.

ELUSIVE
11-02-12, 01:02 PM
I replaced my DRL's with VLED 6K's that have a bluish tint and I think they look awesome.
I can see them when I pull up behind someone with a shiny back end...or I can have my wife hit the brake in drive so that I can check them out.
I had a loose connection once and my passenger side went out.
The 6K's are too blue for exterior lights for me at night but I really like them during the day.
My parking lots and fogs are 5K.

Here's a comparison of two shots that I took of my fogs with 5K and 6K for those interested:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17964735/5k6k.jpg

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-03-12, 01:18 PM
I have a 2012 escalade and I had the same question.The top light comes on very dim and then it stays on dim when the bottom light is onn for driving at night or dark enough to come on automatically. However, I have never been ab le to see the middle lights be on. I'll try and see if they are on when it is daylight outside and put the car in drive.

hdillingham, I just wanted to let you know I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to research any lingering concerns further for you! Please keep us updated on your progress, whenever you get a chance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service