: 2004 escalade 89k miles

umoms
04-13-08, 05:33 PM
On my 2004 Escalade I heard some howling noise when I press the gas pedal. It is real apparent when I am driving and I have my foot on the gas and then I let go and then when I have my foot on the gas again (this is when the noise occurs).

I brought it in to my mechanic and he tells me its something with the rear differential.

Anyone have any experience or any thoughts?

Rolex
04-13-08, 06:49 PM
If the diff is howling be prepared to move forward with a total replacement. They may try to pawn you off on changing the fluids and lubricating things which can help, but once you've reached the point you hear a whine your differential is damaged beyond repair IMO. Just a matter of time before it will HAVE to be replaced. You may ask them to analyze the diff fluid for metal shavings or solids. Have the dealer replace the front diff fluid with synthetic, or you can do it yourself (the front diff has a drain hole and fill hole).

FWIW I've had these kinds of things happens with other makes and models too. Comes with the territory with big powerful vehicles. I hope (for your sake) that it is something less significant in the driveline making the whine.

umoms
04-14-08, 01:13 PM
Mechanic tells me its the ring gear. Dealer wants $750.00 just for the part and who knows how many hours of labor. :(

hcvone
04-14-08, 02:28 PM
Labor 300-500 is pretty normal to do the job. :( Change the gear oil every 25k with synthetic, it will last longer.

umoms
04-14-08, 06:16 PM
I plan on reselling this car..... Do u guys think I will be wasting my time just to change the oil and test it out?

hcvone
04-15-08, 09:14 AM
It does not cost much to change the gear oil, but if you are getting rid of it you maybe wasting your money, get rid of it quick. ;)

DaveH28
04-15-08, 08:07 PM
changing the diff fluid will not get rid of gear whine.. once it's got that wear patten, it's pretty much gonna whine..

however you can change the bearings without necessarily changing the ring & pinion.. I changed all the bearings in my frt diff without doing the ring & pinion, and although it is not perfect its a hell of a lot better..

if you have an AWD vehicle make sure that it is your rear diff and not your frt diff.. the front one is a lot more common... if you have a 2WD truck you're in luck

umoms
04-18-08, 06:37 PM
Ok I got the Ring and Pinion kit for the rear differential and replaced the fluid. The noise still seems to be there. My mechanic says it takes a few days to work out the kinks. Is this true?

I only had it for a few hours but I am just hoping this is true and the noise wasn't actually coming from the front differential as this is a 2004 Escalade ESV AWD.

hcvone
04-19-08, 07:40 AM
Never heard that before, on one of my Suburban's I had to have the rear replaced, the new one made no noise. They did replace all the bearing correct?

Rolex
04-19-08, 04:50 PM
Ok I got the Ring and Pinion kit for the rear differential and replaced the fluid. The noise still seems to be there. My mechanic says it takes a few days to work out the kinks.

:histeric: That's what I would say too if you just paid me several hundred $$$ to fix something and I "fixed" the wrong thing. I call :bs: at the risk of having to eat crow for doing it.

DaveH28
04-19-08, 07:00 PM
Yeah unfortuneatly that is a bunch of bull..

When you replace everything the noise should be gone instantly -- it's all new parts so there should be no wear pattern on it! It is possible that it was set up wrong and in that case it will make noise and the longer you drive it the less chance you have of being able to correct it.. I do hope he replaced all the bearings as well as the ring & pinion.

But honestly I think he/you are barking up the wrong tree with the rear diff and should try the front diff. The frt diff failure vs rear diff on these trucks is easily 3-1.. assuming your mechanic knows how to rebuild a rear end and he set it up right, and you still hear the noise.. well you'll need the front one done now!

umoms
05-17-08, 01:59 AM
First of all I wan to appologize to everyone who replied to me. You guys were right :( Changing the rear differential did absolutely nothing. This mechanic fooled me. Now he is saying its both the front and rear. But the noise did not change....

I appreciate all of your advice but my question now is...Can I buy the ring and pinion gear kit (including the bearings) for the Front Differential? Or do I have to replace the entire front differential itself?

Thoughts?

hcvone
05-17-08, 08:18 AM
Yes you can buy the gears and bearings, you do not have to replace the whole unit, but get it done by someone who knows what they are doing or you can ruin the new gears in no time.

cadillacroadside
05-19-08, 03:38 PM
i have to say i can count on one hand the amount of escalade rear diffs we rebuild as oppossed to the hundreds of front diffs we do, even under warranty if we are doing a ring and pinion we always do the bearings as well

hcvone
05-19-08, 04:58 PM
i have to say i can count on one hand the amount of escalade rear diffs we rebuild as oppossed to the hundreds of front diffs we do, even under warranty if we are doing a ring and pinion we always do the bearings as well

Most owners do not change or have their gear oil changed, it makes a huge difference in how long they last, at least they have been putting synthetic gear oil in lately, and that helps

hueterm
05-19-08, 11:10 PM
My 2004 has about 24K miles on it. Is there anything I should do to it now? Is it mileage based or time based, as far as when it needs service?

It's CPO'd and GMPP'd, but I'd still prefer to prevent a problem...

umoms
05-22-08, 01:31 PM
Can anyone recommend a good place to get the front differential seals and bearings from?

I already got the ring and pinion.

Or can anyone brake down a list of what bearings and seals need to be replaced?

umoms
06-06-08, 02:33 AM
Still looking for a list of which bearings and seals I should replace. The dealer said its over 100 parts and would not name them for me.

Can anyone help?

And any idea where to get them from?

Tom Acklen
06-21-08, 04:39 PM
We had a 2002 Escalade, and it made it to 151,000 miles before we had to have the transmission rebuilt, then the front diff started acting up...So I got my wife a new car phone-course it was ON-Star, and came with a loaded 2007 Black on Black on Black ESCALADE ESV...She is a HIGH MAINTENANCE woman...GOOD INVESTMENT