: Mobil 1 Now Required ??

CBOYLE
05-26-04, 03:57 PM
A friend told me that the new cadillacs with Northstar's now have a sticker under the hood advising only to use Mobil 1 . Similar to the Corvette.
Does anyone know if this is true ?
Thanks
Charlie

BeelzeBob
05-27-04, 03:58 PM
Not all new Northstars....just the rear wheel drive versions in the XLR and the SRX (and the upcoming STS). And I think the oil is spec'ed for Mobil1...not just "synthetic" in general. Not all synthetic oils are created equal. Mobil1 is the factory fill and recommended oil.

The front wheel drive Northstars still are spec'ed for conventional oil.

The rear wheel drive engines have variable valve timing (VVT). The VVT is activated by engine oil pressure that is controlled by electronic solenoids/controllers (or phasers...since they control the phase or timing of the cam). Since the engine oil is being used for a pure hydraulic system it is beneficial to have the synthetic oil to maximize the phaser action and response at a wide variety of engine temperatures. The more consistent viscosity of the synthetic oil help the VVT hydraulic system to function more consistently.

Also, the rear wheel drive Northstars do not come with an oil cooler. The synthetic oil allows a slightly higher operating/maximum oil temperature negating the need for an oil cooler and it's inherent leak paths, cost and complexity.

The high temp allowance (especially on high performance cars like Corvette, Viper, etc.) is the reason Mobil1 synthetic is factory fill in those applications. IF the owner decides to do a "track day" or some other competition use the abnormally high oil temps will not pose a problem.

JohnnyO
05-28-04, 12:37 PM
:welcome: Welcome to the dark side, bbob. :D

BeelzeBob
05-28-04, 04:10 PM
The other, more obscure reason for Mobil1, is the promenent Mobil1 stickers on the retired Cadillac LMP car and the current CTS-VR......

BlackSquare
07-05-04, 02:04 PM
Not all new Northstars....just the rear wheel drive versions in the XLR and the SRX (and the upcoming STS). And I think the oil is spec'ed for Mobil1...not just "synthetic" in general. Not all synthetic oils are created equal. Mobil1 is the factory fill and recommended oil.

The front wheel drive Northstars still are spec'ed for conventional oil.

The rear wheel drive engines have variable valve timing (VVT). The VVT is activated by engine oil pressure that is controlled by electronic solenoids/controllers (or phasers...since they control the phase or timing of the cam). Since the engine oil is being used for a pure hydraulic system it is beneficial to have the synthetic oil to maximize the phaser action and response at a wide variety of engine temperatures. The more consistent viscosity of the synthetic oil help the VVT hydraulic system to function more consistently.

Also, the rear wheel drive Northstars do not come with an oil cooler. The synthetic oil allows a slightly higher operating/maximum oil temperature negating the need for an oil cooler and it's inherent leak paths, cost and complexity.

The high temp allowance (especially on high performance cars like Corvette, Viper, etc.) is the reason Mobil1 synthetic is factory fill in those applications. IF the owner decides to do a "track day" or some other competition use the abnormally high oil temps will not pose a problem. I use mobil 1 oil in my 97 deville northstar is that ok or do i need to use a conventional oil.

mcowden
07-05-04, 02:53 PM
It's perfectly OK to use Mobil-1 or any other oil in your car's engine as long as it meets the recommended viscosity (10W-30 on your car for most climates) and the API specs. On a '97, it's probably minimum SJ-spec with the Energy Conserving seal. You'll find the API mark on the bottle of oil inside a small gear-shaped seal. Most new motor oils meet the SL-spec, which is more recent than SJ (L comes after J last time I checked) and therefore fine. If the manual says it needs the Energy Conserving stamp, the bottle of oil should say Energy Conserving under the API designation. If the oil doesn't say EC but the manual does, pick a different oil. Mobil-1 currently meets SL and Energy Conserving, so it's fine for your car. It's not necessary, but it won't hurt anything either. There are plenty of other threads on motor oil choices and opinions if you search the forums. Be prepared to read a lot. It's almost a holy war, but it basically comes down to following the manufacturer's recommendation and personal opinions.

Cheers!

Michael Cowden