: What shifter is better, B&M, Katech, or UUC

04vman
04-12-08, 11:17 PM
I'm looking at buying a new shifter and wanted to see what everybody thinks is the best shifter.

StealthV
04-12-08, 11:34 PM
Just like a !CAGS Eliminator, there is only one. The rest are just cheesy copies.

Search is your friend.

Jon
04-12-08, 11:55 PM
I tried a UUC and had no idea it was a short throw. I knew something was different but didn't know what. Then I was told that the car has a UUC.

I love my B&M.

CTS-V420
04-13-08, 12:02 AM
went from Bm to UUC : )

CTSV_510
04-13-08, 12:04 AM
I love my B&M too, never tried the others. Some say the B&M is loud, but I don't think so.

B&M $200 on ebay, Katech $250 from lingenfelter, UUC...not sure but I think almost $400 from Lindsay?

I figured I'd save some $ for other mods and went for the B&M.

JD03Cobra
04-13-08, 12:19 AM
I love my B&M..been using them for years...Can't see paying double for the UUC.

04vman
04-13-08, 01:19 AM
What about Katech, anybody have one of those?

stkshkr
04-13-08, 02:15 AM
B&M, good price, great shifter

rand49er
04-13-08, 07:20 AM
Driven both UUC and B&M. Both great. Price dif not justified, IMHO.

Naf
04-13-08, 08:29 AM
Katech for me, no issues, and love the feel...Very secure and simple instructions...

This is my second Katech, the first was just a solid piece, but now they changed to a quieter model...

Twitch
04-13-08, 08:49 AM
I have a UUC, but I really can't argue with the guys about the price.
My biggest surprise was the UUC knob. I put them in a week apart, and the weight of the knob made a big difference. You probably can't go wrong with any of the shifters, but look for a heavy knob.
Luke has them for $140 n $170. I'm sure you can find another heavy knob, but the UUC was made for this car. It matches the interior, and its the only one with our shift patern on it.

BTW You do have an exhaust right? I'd go with an exhaust first :hide:, but thats just me.

silverAg
04-13-08, 10:14 AM
+1 for B&M

lordlang
04-13-08, 11:16 AM
Are these aftermarket shifters good for daily driving? Would I see any difference DD'ing between B&M and stock? Or do you guys feel they're better just for quick shifts, racing, etc?

v10boost
04-13-08, 11:17 AM
UUC did make difference but i think it is still too long. I have not tried others so can't give much opinion. I bought UUC knob but returned it because of it's silver color and it stands out too much. if uuc make them in black i'll buy one for sure.

Jon
04-13-08, 11:40 AM
Are these aftermarket shifters good for daily driving? Would I see any difference DD'ing between B&M and stock? Or do you guys feel they're better just for quick shifts, racing, etc?
HUGE difference.

CTSV_510
04-13-08, 11:51 AM

Yes! It makes daily driving much more enjoyable and feels like it belongs on the car more than the stock shifter did. I don't feel like I'm rowing a boat anymore, but actually driving a performance car.

lordlang - where are you located? I'm sure there is a V owner with a short shifter nearby that would be willing to let you test it.

lordlang
04-13-08, 12:15 PM
Yes! It makes daily driving much more enjoyable and feels like it belongs on the car more than the stock shifter did. I don't feel like I'm rowing a boat anymore, but actually driving a performance car.

lordlang - where are you located? I'm sure there is a V owner with a short shifter nearby that would be willing to let you test it.

Tampa -- Ya i'll probably break down evenutally and get one. Seems pretty cheap too and i found some DIY instructions for it from searching.

randycsvt
04-13-08, 03:29 PM
Tampa -- Ya i'll probably break down evenutally and get one. Seems pretty cheap too and i found some DIY instructions for it from searching.

Let me know if your find anybody with a short shifter in the area. I am in the Central Florida area(live in Lakeland, work in Tampa and Orlando), and would love to check out a UUC or B&M.

04vman
04-13-08, 04:11 PM
Is $170.00 worth it for the UUC shift knob? Seems like a lot of money for a shift knob that doesn't really look that nice. Does the weighted feel justify the price tag?

04vman
04-13-08, 04:12 PM
From what I've read so far I may be going with the Katech.

rand49er
04-13-08, 04:36 PM
Is $170.00 worth it for the UUC shift knob? Seems like a lot of money for a shift knob that doesn't really look that nice. Does the weighted feel justify the price tag?Just from a Newtonian-physics standpoint, that thing'll slow your shifting down or just require more force to get it started, as in F=ma. :stirpot:

'Course, that's just in Isaac's and my opinion.

04vman
04-13-08, 05:01 PM
That's what I thought too.

CTSV_510
04-13-08, 05:06 PM
yah. I have my stock shift knob on by B&M and it feels great. Adding weight could make the shift feel smoother, but not for me, not for $170.

CTSV_Rob
04-13-08, 05:11 PM
I have the UUC shifter and knob and happy with both.

The extra weight makes the shifting feel smoother and for actually slowing down the shifts I will leave that one to the experts here on the forum.

If your concerned with cost, Change out the rubber bushings with the UUC version ($30 i think through Lindsay) and look at a heavier knob. I'm sure there are other knobs that are cheaper then the UUC and will work well. No matter which shifter you pick I would replace the rubber bushings.

The UUC was quieter then stock and the shifts are smoother but the bushings made the biggest difference.

Twitch
04-13-08, 06:53 PM
Is $170.00 worth it for the UUC shift knob? Seems like a lot of money for a shift knob that doesn't really look that nice. Does the weighted feel justify the price tag?

You have to decide on the price and looks yourself (mine was a gift).
The knob makes it feel much better than just the short shifter and new bushings. The weight makes the shift smoother, and it feels solid in your hand.
It took me a long time to justify spending so much money on just a shifter. But now that its done, I'm happy with my purchase. I'd rather spend a lot of money on something that works well, than save money on a product that doesn't do such a good job.

Not telling you wich one to buy. Just saying the shifter and bushings will make driving your V much more pleasant. A heavy knob will make it twice as nice.

Max-Q
04-13-08, 08:01 PM
I'm about to order a shifter too and I am leaning towards the B&M. It looks like it is not threaded. What shift knobs will it accept? Does anyone know if this one will work with the B&M?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C6-GM-Chevy-Corvette-Shift-knob-C5-ZO6-Z06-Ls1-Ls6-Ls7_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQihZ005QQitem Z150234019962QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I really like the looks of the ZO6 knob and I would like to use that one if I can.

CTSV_510
04-13-08, 10:33 PM
I'm about to order a shifter too and I am leaning towards the B&M. It looks like it is not threaded. What shift knobs will it accept? Does anyone know if this one will work with the B&M?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C6-GM-Chevy-Corvette-Shift-knob-C5-ZO6-Z06-Ls1-Ls6-Ls7_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQihZ005QQitem Z150234019962QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I really like the looks of the ZO6 knob and I would like to use that one if I can.

I don't know if that one would fit, but I can tell you that the B&M comes with a threaded hole in top center of the stick. They supply a screw and washer, and if you can pop the top cover off that knob then you might be able to use the supplied screw and washer to secure it. I just used the stock knob because it clicks right on.

Max-Q
04-13-08, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. What other shift knob options are there for the B&M? I've been searching and reading all day and all I have are more questions than answers. :banghead:

So the UUC shifter is threaded but it seems the common shift knob is the phallic one and the stock boot does not fit on the shaft. Is this correct?

The B&M is not threaded and the options are stock knob, MOMO knob with set screw or the GTO conversion.

Are there any other options out there? Does anyone know the diameter of the B&M shaft?

CTSV_Rob
04-13-08, 10:51 PM
UUC Uses the stock boot and the shifter is not threaded. The knob has a rouund hole and uses a set screw to lock it onto the shaft. The UUC shifter is cut to match the stock one on the top.

You can use the UUC knob on the stock shaft and the Stock knob on the UUC shifter.

SuperV_Rob
04-13-08, 11:06 PM
The first mod to my "V" was a UUC shifter..... So far, including the skip shift, polished maggie, Kooks headers, Corsa exhaust, cadillac racing suspension, 160 degree t-stat, fusion plugs, Performance wires, Kool Socks, etc., the UUC has been without question the best investment that I have made in this vehicle :)

04vman
04-14-08, 02:05 AM
Why was the UUC the best mod?

SuperV_Rob
04-14-08, 07:36 AM
The UUC Shifter made the most dramatic difference in drive ability, I don't know if it was the stock shifter, bushings, ... But whatever it was really took the fun out of driving the car and was pure crap. After Bill at Lindsay finished the UUC install and I picked up the car, I quickly realized that I had never DRIVEN the "V" :) The rest of the mods provided incremental benefit, but that shifter made a monumental change in my love for the car!

rand49er
04-14-08, 09:10 AM
... the UUC has been without question the best investment that I have made in this vehicle :):yeah:

The UUC Shifter made the most dramatic difference in drive ability ... that shifter made a monumental change in my love for the car!:yeah:

I felt the same way after my B&M install. Why Cadillac thought we wanted an old man's feel to shifting is beyond me?! A shifter change was dramatic, IMHO.

Twitch
04-14-08, 11:59 AM
The first mod to my "V" was a UUC shifter..... So far, including the skip shift, polished maggie, Kooks headers, Corsa exhaust, cadillac racing suspension, 160 degree t-stat, fusion plugs, Performance wires, Kool Socks, etc., the UUC has been without question the best investment that I have made in this vehicle :)

I don't agree with that.....but only cuz you have a maggie :D

bpitas
04-14-08, 02:58 PM
Yeah, a shifter makes a big difference in how much you enjoy the car because with the STOCK shifter, you almost avoid shifting because it's so sloppy. I was, quite frankly, afraid of missing a gear or something when I had the stock shifter. With the UUC, it's closer to the rifle-bolt feeling that you want, so you KNOW if you try to shift into 3rd hard you're not going to hit 1st and wipe out.
:burn:

I had a B&M in my C5 and it was nice. Definitely more mechanical, with a more "metal to metal" feel to it than the UUC has. It was also a much shorter throw, with the correspondingly higher effort to move. Although it didn't make noise, it *did* vibrate a bit, and I personally don't think it would be as "at home" in the V as it was in the C5. Plus anyone who drove the car besides me (especially the ladies) thought it was way too stiff and for some reason it intimidated them. I got used to it very quickly and liked it, but anyone else who tried it hated it at first.

The UUC is a good compromise, because the quality feels completely OEM, like if Cadillac spent more time thinking about it, they would have come up with the UUC piece. It's not super hard to move, but definitely a much more direct connection to the transmission.

Also, don't even bother doing it if you don't get new bushings - they make a big, noticable difference in the accuracy of the shifter. Almost more than the shifter itself I think. Shorter throw is good, but it's really the lack of accuracy and directness that always bugged me with the stock shifter.

Honestly I think the NEXT biggest mod to making the car more fun would be to swap out the dual-mass flywheel for something lighter. I haven't done that mod, but it drives me CRAZY how long it takes the car to match revs when you try to rev-match downshift, and it definitely feels like it takes forever to rev in the lower gears compared to other cars with similar horsepower levels that I've driven. You'd expect the V to feel like it revs up *faster* with the deep rear gears, but my C5 with 3.42 rear end felt like it revved up *much* faster than the V does with it's 3.73s, and I have to think part of that is the flywheel, since even if you're sitting still in neutral it doesn't rev up that quickly, and it takes forever to go back down. 400hp cars should rev up in neutral pretty damned fast, but in the V if you jazz the pedal a few times like you're trying to let someone hear the exhaust to let them know you want to race or something, it sounds a bit lame because it takes a while to rev and then takes FOREVER to rev back down... You don't get that instant-up, instant-down feeling you get from other high-hp engines...

-B

justin311
04-14-08, 03:31 PM
I bought the UUC shifter and can't wait until LINDSAY installs it. Just look at everyones mods, UUC Shifter is on everyones list. I'm drivin like 10 hours to have mine installed (plus i'm like 45 minutes away from SUMMIT DAY wooooooooooohhhhhoooooooooo). Hope Luke will have a UUC knob there when I get there, cause they were out when I ordered the shifter.

CTSV_510
04-14-08, 03:54 PM
I bought the UUC shifter and can't wait until LINDSAY installs it. Just look at everyones mods, UUC Shifter is on everyones list. I'm drivin like 10 hours to have mine installed (plus i'm like 45 minutes away from SUMMIT DAY wooooooooooohhhhhoooooooooo). Hope Luke will have a UUC knob there when I get there, cause they were out when I ordered the shifter.

You're driving 10 hours to get the shifter installed???? I did mine in the driveway and it took less than 2 hours start to finish, including clean up. It's really easy.

SuperV_Rob
04-14-08, 04:40 PM
Just for the record, I drove 15 hours to have mine installed by Lindsay. I am quite capable of doing the work but I would be learning the correct setup by trial and error. Bill has done countless installs and did it right the first time. Those will be well placed hours for sure. Enjoy the trip, I will see you at Summit which is 16 hours of driving for me!!!!

QUOTE=justin311;1482819]I bought the UUC shifter and can't wait until LINDSAY installs it. Just look at everyones mods, UUC Shifter is on everyones list. I'm drivin like 10 hours to have mine installed (plus i'm like 45 minutes away from SUMMIT DAY wooooooooooohhhhhoooooooooo). Hope Luke will have a UUC knob there when I get there, cause they were out when I ordered the shifter.[/QUOTE]

Cadillac Tony
04-14-08, 05:11 PM
Let me know if your find anybody with a short shifter in the area. I am in the Central Florida area(live in Lakeland, work in Tampa and Orlando), and would love to check out a UUC or B&M.

If you're ever in Leesburg, stop in the Dealership and you can try out the UUC in mine.

I had the B&M and it was loud as heck due to the solid design- tried wrapping it with Dynamat and had no success. The UUC is expensive, but I like it. :thumbsup:

justin311
04-14-08, 06:47 PM
You're driving 10 hours to get the shifter installed???? I did mine in the driveway and it took less than 2 hours start to finish, including clean up. It's really easy.

Naw I'm driving 10 hours to hang out with the coolest guys on the forum:highfive:. It's a plus everyway I look at it:

1. UUC Shifter install @ the best dealer in the East, beers
2. Track day, 09 CTS V tour, beers
3. Visit ye ol mister Bush in Washington, more beers & strippers
4. Have a freakin blast w/o the ol lady, beers, beers, beers wooohooo

04vman
04-16-08, 02:31 PM
I think I may be going with Katech, because it seems to have the same design as the UUC, the sound insolating two piece design, and it's $150.00 cheaper. Can anybody give me a solid reason not to buy the Katech.

lollygagger8
04-16-08, 03:39 PM
Yes I 2nd 04vman's question. Is UUC that much better than Katech to justify the price??
http://www.katechengines.com/street_performance/engine_parts_detail.php?id=28

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
04-16-08, 04:12 PM
Katech's site lists the shifter at $289.00 the UUC is $369.00 so its not $150.00 more. the UUC does not require a tap and die to atatch the shifter knob like the Katech does. I have the shifters on the shelf and ready to ship. is the UUC better/different/same as Katech? no idea.it is the original and I have sold close to 300 of them since they became available and have yet to hear anyone was not happy with the results. which ever brand you decide on make sure you get my poly bushings to compliment it.

CTSV_510
04-16-08, 04:23 PM
Yes I 2nd 04vman's question. Is UUC that much better than Katech to justify the price??
http://www.katechengines.com/street_performance/engine_parts_detail.php?id=28

Katech's site lits the shifter at $289.00 the UUC is $369.00 so its not $150.00 more. the UUC does not require a tap and die to atatch the shifter knob like the Katech does. I have the shifters on the shelf and ready to ship. is the UUC better/different/same as Katech? no idea.it is the original and I have sold close to 300 of them since they became available and have yet to hear anyone was not happy with the results. which ever brand you decide on make sure you get my poly bushings to compliment it.

Lingenfelter has the Katech for $249, don't know shipping price:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KAT-A3726L&Category_Code=

shadybx7
04-16-08, 05:41 PM
This a Question for those with a B&M shifter.

Did You have to drop the exhaust and unbolt the propeller shaft to install the B&M like you have to with the Katech and UUC kit?

I have been searching for B&M instructions but couldn't find them.

CTSV_510
04-16-08, 05:47 PM
This a Question for those with a B&M shifter.

Did You have to drop the exhaust and unbolt the propeller shaft to install the B&M like you have to with the Katech and UUC kit?

I have been searching for B&M instructions but couldn't find them.

I don't think you HAVE to drop that stuff for any of them. I can definitely speak for the B&M cause that's what I installed, and it was easy to reach around the exhaust and driveshaft while you're under the car. I didn't remove anything but the shift boot.

rand49er
04-16-08, 09:44 PM
... Did You have to drop the exhaust and unbolt the propeller shaft to install the B&M ...Nope.

CTSV_Rob
04-16-08, 09:49 PM
Katech's site lists the shifter at $289.00 the UUC is $369.00 so its not $150.00 more. the UUC does not require a tap and die to atatch the shifter knob like the Katech does. I have the shifters on the shelf and ready to ship. is the UUC better/different/same as Katech? no idea.it is the original and I have sold close to 300 of them since they became available and have yet to hear anyone was not happy with the results. which ever brand you decide on make sure you get my poly bushings to compliment it.
:yeah: on the bushings.

The bushings are a must and the UUC shifter is a work of art. I wish it wasn't hidden by the boot.

bpitas
04-24-08, 03:42 PM
I could get my hands around the driveshaft and exhaust, but it wasn't easy, and what was harder was getting any kind of tools under there to tighten up the bolts that attach the shifter to the body of the car. I would imaging that the guy who had a bolt back out on him in another thread was because the previous owner put in a short-throw shifter and wasn't able to tighten things up enough.
It's extra hard if you don't have a helper because you have to set up the wrench or whatever down below and then turn the bolt from inside the car. When I did it, I put a big pair of vicegrips on the nut and then screwed it in from the bottom...
Still 10x easier overall if you don't take down the tranny and exhaust though - any time I can avoid dropping the exhaust I will take it - it's just not worth introducing leaks.

BadCad
04-24-08, 04:33 PM
Ewill at Lindsay does it from the top - I did it from the bottom. It all depends on your preference and skill..... :lildevil:

ObeyOne
04-24-08, 05:17 PM
mmhmm Looks like the UUC for me where is the best place to order it from ? and then the best bushings and where to get those ?! Ive been battleing myself about what my first mod should be shifter or exhuast I believe I will start with the shifter...... CTS V posted he felt like he was rowing a boat and yes Im tired of the rowing. Also does anyone know If there is a Lindsays or somewhere else good Near Las Vegas to have it installed ? possibly C.A ??!

rand49er
04-24-08, 05:24 PM
mmhmm Looks like the UUC for me where is the best place to order it from ? and then the best bushings and where to get those ?! Ive been battleing myself about what my first mod should be shifter or exhuast I believe I will start with the shifter...... CTS V posted he felt like he was rowing a boat and yes Im tired of the rowing. Also does anyone know If there is a Lindsays or somewhere else good Near Las Vegas to have it installed ? possibly C.A ??!Um-m ... not sure if James has opened his Las Vegas location yet, but getting a shifter and bushings from them is about as easy as installing yourself. Luke is the guy to contact; his phone no. is all over the place.

ObeyOne
04-24-08, 05:26 PM
so they are opening a location hear ?? Luke is like head salesman for Lindsay or ? Ill try and find his number

CTSV_510
04-24-08, 07:11 PM
It's extra hard if you don't have a helper because you have to set up the wrench or whatever down below and then turn the bolt from inside the car. When I did it, I put a big pair of vicegrips on the nut and then screwed it in from the bottom...

I installed the B&M myself without any trouble. The B&M brace has threaded holes for the bolts so you can screw them in from the top so they're sticking out the bottom. Then you can just screw on the nuts from the bottom.

mmhmm Looks like the UUC for me where is the best place to order it from ? and then the best bushings and where to get those ?! Ive been battleing myself about what my first mod should be shifter or exhuast I believe I will start with the shifter...... CTS V posted he felt like he was rowing a boat and yes Im tired of the rowing. Also does anyone know If there is a Lindsays or somewhere else good Near Las Vegas to have it installed ? possibly C.A ??!

Bushings - you have to get from Luke. I haven't gotten them yet because my B&M shifter is so tight and my bushings are in good shape so I didn't think there was a need yet.

FYI - I tested a UUC shifter w/bushings last weekend and it felt like the stock compared to my B&M. I don't know, maybe it worked itself loose or something, but the difference was staggering to me.

And seriously, the install is ridiculously easy.

so they are opening a location hear ?? Luke is like head salesman for Lindsay or ? Ill try and find his number

Luke is THE parts MAN for V stuff. The Lindsay Cadillac link is on the right ---> of the page.

ObeyOne
04-25-08, 03:09 PM
CTSV!! The UUC shifter with bushings felt like the stock set up ? that sucks. All I want is for it to shift smoother and easier mainly first and second.

ObeyOne
04-25-08, 03:20 PM
I cant even find the B&M for my 07, the knobs for the UUC are kool tho. what knobs are u guys putting on your B&M's ?

bpitas
04-25-08, 03:20 PM
Not sure what the car you tested had, but I can tell you, the difference between a stock shifter and the UUC is night and day. I've got a UUC on my V and had a B&M on a C5 that I had, and the B&M *is* stiffer and has a shorter throw, but it was work to shift. On a scale of 1-10 where the stock craptastic shifter is 1 and the B&M is 10, the UUC is around 7 in terms of directness/mechanicalness of the shift, but a 3 in terms of NVH. It doesn't have that annoying vibration that my B&M used to have, but it's way more accurate and direct than the stock shifter without being work to shift.

jegeiger
04-26-08, 01:44 AM
OK. I also, am in the market for a new shifter. I have read this thread three times and am more confused than when I started. The only thing that anyone agrees on is that Lindsay bushings are important. Beyond that, B&M guys think their short shift is better and UUC guys think their "feel" is better. B&M is cheaper but more effort. UUC is classier but less efficient with a longer throw. There are B&M's that switched to UUC and UUC's that switched to B&M. Both are happy. It looks like we can call it a draw.

jpoole
04-26-08, 09:16 PM
UUC, CAGS elimnator and UUC bushings.

This is all you need and it is only a few hours in the garage.

ewill3rd
05-01-08, 09:56 PM
I have put 1 or 2 in from the top, but I usually do them from underneath.
It is quicker and easier if you have a lift.

Luke has lots of them in stock.
I call 703-647-8633 when I need to talk to him.
I think he usually posts a different number but all paths lead to Luke.
;)

GMBOUND
05-02-08, 12:05 AM
Bossplayer recently felt the difference btw his stock & my UUC shifter, he might can chime in and provide you some feedback.

CTSV_Rob
05-02-08, 04:03 AM
Hmmmm.

So Bossplayer was playing with your shifter huh?

SS from the "Wood"
05-02-08, 12:49 PM
Bushings - you have to get from Luke. I haven't gotten them yet because my B&M shifter is so tight and my bushings are in good shape so I didn't think there was a need yet.

FYI - I tested a UUC shifter w/bushings last weekend and it felt like the stock compared to my B&M. I don't know, maybe it worked itself loose or something, but the difference was staggering to me.

Hey 510,

It's a toss up to me at this point... I like what I hear about your B&M (price, usability, ease of install) but need to know more about the bushings. My car's only got 16K on the stock stick, and I'm sure the stock bushings too. What's the benefit of replacing these, and how will I know when it's time? When/if I do replace them, do you recommend going w/ UUC's?

Shannon (I love bush(ings)

rangerrob
05-02-08, 06:44 PM
Naw I'm driving 10 hours to hang out with the coolest guys on the forum:highfive:. It's a plus everyway I look at it:

1. UUC Shifter install @ the best dealer in the East, beers
2. Track day, 09 CTS V tour, beers
3. Visit ye ol mister Bush in Washington, more beers & strippers
4. Have a freakin blast w/o the ol lady, beers, beers, beers wooohooo

i couldn't have said it any better myself! :alchi: :alchi: :alchi:

Koooop
05-02-08, 07:19 PM
I bought a B & M for about $150. Paid the local Corvette shop about $100 to put it in, he didn't want to change the bushings for whatever his reason was, after 25 years of using him I don't bother arguing cuz he's right. The Vette guy said run it for about a few thousand miles and it'll quiet down (noisy bastard when I had it put in). I did stuff the box and wrap the shifter with insulation. After about two months it was quiet, but it is notchy and stiff compared to stock, but it's smooth and easy to use compared to an M22 with a Hurst shifter. I just used the stock shift knob, weighted shift knobs do have a cool feel to them.

Read up on UUC, you will find a number of posts (not just in the Cadillac forum) regarding they are known to break.

B&M is a very direct short throw shifter. If you want smooth a short throw shifter may not be the best idea for you since the stock is just rubbery smoothness at it finest.

Any shifter is a giant improvment in my book.

04vman
05-02-08, 08:49 PM
I think i'm going with a B&M and UUC bushing. Thanks for everybody's input.

rand49er
05-02-08, 09:59 PM
... he didn't want to change the bushings for whatever his reason was, after 25 years of using him I don't bother arguing cuz he's right. ... Any shifter is a giant improvment in my book.A shifter is one of the best mods you can do to a CTS-V.

Also, look at the difference between the stock bushing after about 20+k compared to the UUC bushings.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/77356-tpis-short-throw-b-m-3.html#post729023

GMBOUND
05-02-08, 10:13 PM
Hmmmm.

So Bossplayer was playing with your shifter huh?
:helpless::helpless:
Yep, his hands are smaller (to fit inside the Hi beam headlight housing) but my shifter is shorter.
We just used a little team work to get the job done:highfive::highfive:

CTSV_510
05-03-08, 03:08 PM
Hey 510,

It's a toss up to me at this point... I like what I hear about your B&M (price, usability, ease of install) but need to know more about the bushings. My car's only got 16K on the stock stick, and I'm sure the stock bushings too. What's the benefit of replacing these, and how will I know when it's time? When/if I do replace them, do you recommend going w/ UUC's?

The benefit of replacing the bushings is that the UUC ones will pretty much last forever as opposed to the stocks that may not be worn out yet, but they will at some point.

I bought a B & M for about $150. Paid the local Corvette shop about $100 to put it in, ...

Hey, if anyone near me needs a B&M installed, I'll do it for $100 on my lunch break. :D

Read up on UUC, you will find a number of posts (not just in the Cadillac forum) regarding they are known to break.

I am pretty sure that UUC fixed that issue a while ago - I don't think that is a problem with the current ones.

Also, look at the difference between the stock bushing after about 20+k compared to the UUC bushings.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/77356-tpis-short-throw-b-m-3.html#post729023

Mine weren't quite that bad so I left em in for now, but I will be ordering UUC ones from Luke because they'll need replacing soon enough.

trukk
05-05-08, 11:25 AM
Just to add to this...I drove my buddies V with a few weeks back and he has a stock shifter. I've had my UUC for about 2 years now (completely trouble free). I forgot what an utter & total POS the stocker is. Totally new car with a proper shifter in there.

-Chris

bossplayer
05-05-08, 11:31 AM
:helpless::helpless:
Yep, his hands are smaller (to fit inside the Hi beam headlight housing) but my shifter is shorter.
We just used a little team work to get the job done:highfive::highfive:

I now officially wish I had NOT looked at this thread. :suspect:

The test drive of GM's car was enlightening indeed. I have not tried any of the other shifters available, but the difference between stock and modified is great. I also learned that I will not be doing any changing of my exhaust as I have discovered that I am old and do not want the excess noise.

So the only thing I would do are cutouts now. :thumbsup: If there was some way to avoid throwing a code.

Koooop
05-05-08, 02:21 PM
A shifter is one of the best mods you can do to a CTS-V.

My car is at 40k with the original bushings and the B & M. I'm perfectly happy and in denial about changing the bushings. :D

ewill3rd
05-05-08, 06:53 PM
I just installed a B&M for someone, will drive it tomorrow and let you know what I think.
Put in the UUC bushings we get too.
Feels tight in the shop but the real test is on the road.

SS from the "Wood"
05-05-08, 07:15 PM
Bill, what'd you come up w/ on the B&M w/ UUC bushings? Is it as easy of an install as 510 claims?

Shannon (I still love bush(ings))

bigREDfreshness
05-05-08, 07:37 PM
That's the setup I was going to be purchasing this week: B&M + UUC bushings = shifter heaven. I would love to know how that install went, and how it performs. I emailed Luke earlier today regarding the bushings and HPS around. I'm in the mood for a good weekend project...

Koooop
05-05-08, 09:13 PM
There's guys here that say how easy it is, but I watched my mechanic wrestle with it for more than an hour. It made me happy I didn't do it myself.

My B & M was way to tight and much to noisy for the first few thousand miles, but it became smooth and quiet. I really hated the thing the first two months.

ewill3rd
05-05-08, 09:57 PM
The install is pretty much the same as UUC, only you use different parts.
The shifter setup is more complicated but only because there are more parts.
The UUC is much more basic.

I didn't follow the instructions too closely, the paper in the box is an in-car install. I always pull the shifter out and work on it in the vice. I had to do the diff seal so the exhaust had to come off anyway.
It was a bit more work, but mainly because I had not done one before. Kind of nice the way it is set up.
I still have to put the crossbrace in the trunk before I go road test it tomorrow.

lollygagger8
05-06-08, 08:54 AM
I'm going with the B&M and UUC Bushing setup myself. Did the B&M come with decent instructions? I love the sound of an in-car install.....is this wrteup what most of you guys that installed your shifters have used?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ifter-top.html

Hey ewill3rd: How much does that truck crossbrace help? If any?
And if you've road tested the B&M, how do you like it?

ewill3rd
05-06-08, 09:18 AM
There are a bunch of guys here with the brace, maybe they can comment on any noticeable change.

The instructions in the B&M box are okay, I had to look them over a couple times to figure out what they meant but mainly because I pulled the shifter out instead of doing it in the car.

Still have to finish the brace on this one before the road test.

CTSV_510
05-06-08, 01:54 PM
There are a bunch of guys here with the brace, maybe they can comment on any noticeable change.

The instructions in the B&M box are okay, I had to look them over a couple times to figure out what they meant but mainly because I pulled the shifter out instead of doing it in the car.

Still have to finish the brace on this one before the road test.

Don't pay too close attention to the B&M instructions - the diagram for the bolts that secure the shifter to the shift plate shows them going in the opposite way that they should. The bolts heads should go on top, not on the bottom. If you have the nuts on top, the black plastic piece that goes on top won't be snug and you won't be able to secure it with the 4 small bolts.

This added some time to my install because I did it myself and had to keep crawling back and forth under the car.

thecatalyst
05-06-08, 05:05 PM
So far the all the talk has been about the B&M vs the UUC. Has anybody had any experience with the new Katech shifter. It looks a lot like the UUC from what I've seen and its cheaper. Just wondering if anyone has used or seen one in person.

ewill3rd
05-06-08, 07:49 PM
I put it together as per the instructions.
I did notice a lot of noise coming up through the shifter area.
Not sure if I had swapped it around whether or not it would address that issue.

It was pretty tight, I could get used to it but the UUC is what my brain is hooked on.
I can tell in a second if the factory shifter is in the car or not.
I think it all boils down to personal preference and what you are used to.

rangerrob
05-06-08, 07:59 PM
it is all about personal preference. I have the Katech II, the "new and improved" two piece. I like it a hell of alot better than stock, but after feeling a UUC, i'm torn. I would probably prefer the UUC, but don't want to cough up the extra $ for one... call me a tight wad, but every other mod has drained funds for awhile...lol, it all depends on if you want it to shift crisply into gear, or if you want it to shift crisply and "click" into gear, if you want the "click" go with the UUC... but if you get the UUC, you need to get the UUC shift knob also.. it seemed to work well, at least in petesimov's car... in my mind you get what you pay for, at $250 the katech is well worth the $$, and the UUC seems to be the cream of the crop, and of course you're going to pay for it... you should try to meet up with some ppl who may have it already installed and try it out...

ewill3rd
05-06-08, 08:08 PM
The UUC knobs really do improve the shift quality with the UUC shifter.
The stock knob will work.
The looks of the UUC don't meet everyone's taste.
;)

trukk
05-06-08, 09:16 PM
The UUC knobs really do improve the shift quality with the UUC shifter.
The stock knob will work.
The looks of the UUC don't meet everyone's taste.
;)

Agreed.

I have UUC with stock knob.

I drove V-Sam's car with the UUC, and UUC 'phallic commander' shift knob.

I teased the hell outta John for having a D!ldo in his car, then took it for a spin.

To my chagrin, and surprise, the extra weight really improved the shifting action.

I'll get one of these at one point or another.

-Chris

rangerrob
05-06-08, 10:31 PM
Agreed.

I have UUC with stock knob.

I drove V-Sam's car with the UUC, and UUC 'phallic commander' shift knob.

I teased the hell outta John for having a D!ldo in his car, then took it for a spin.

To my chagrin, and surprise, the extra weight really improved the shifting action.

I'll get one of these at one point or another.

-Chris

then we can make fun of you for having a d!ldo in your car... lol

BacDoc
05-12-08, 12:48 PM
Going to do the B&M install. Do I/should I upgrade the bushing while I'm at it. And is this a drop the exhaust/drive shaft operation? And will my factory knob fit on the B&M without work?

Koooop
05-12-08, 03:20 PM
I had to put a washer in the top of my stock shift knob (under the shift pattern thingy) so it would work with the B & M, then a little two sided tape on top of the screw to hold the metal part with the shift pattern stamped on it. The tape seemed kind of jimmy rigged to me, but it worked perfectly and the part does not come off ever.

Everyone says use the upgraded bushings, if I was doing it over I probably would just to try it out. Get a bunch of automotive insullation and fill the hole up, I even have it taped on the shifter itself (under the boot of course).

It looks totally stock, but it's a HUGE improvement.

CTSV_510
05-12-08, 03:32 PM
Going to do the B&M install. Do I/should I upgrade the bushing while I'm at it. And is this a drop the exhaust/drive shaft operation? And will my factory knob fit on the B&M without work?

Upgrade the bushings while you're in there. Even if your stock ones aren't destroyed yet, they will be someday and the UUC bushings should last forever.

There is no need to drop exhaust or drive shaft. I did the whole B&M install by only removing the shift boot.

My factory knob fit right on the B&M - clicked back in and stays there. I didn't have to do any of the stuff that Kooop did to get it to stay on.

BacDoc
05-12-08, 04:27 PM
Upgrade the bushings while you're in there. Even if your stock ones aren't destroyed yet, they will be someday and the UUC bushings should last forever.

There is no need to drop exhaust or drive shaft. I did the whole B&M install by only removing the shift boot.

My factory knob fit right on the B&M - clicked back in and stays there. I didn't have to do any of the stuff that Kooop did to get it to stay on.

Cool. So this can be done in a couple hours time? UUC bushing...Lindsey Cadillac?

I plan to upgrade knobs and boot later then I can worry about fit.

lollygagger8
05-12-08, 04:27 PM
I just installed the UUC shifter and bushings this saturday......I FREAKIN LOVE IT. I didn't hear enough about the Katech or B&M to justify it. UUC shifter is the bomb, and it's really quiet.
You won't have to drop the driveshaft or exhaust, but you will have to get underneath the car and tighten up the bolts that you use (after you drill out the rivets holding the old shifter plate in) and to unscrew the allen head bolt holding the shifter into the carriage. Pretty easy install really.

BacDoc
05-12-08, 04:45 PM
Any special tools needed...or odd balls?

lollygagger8
05-12-08, 05:12 PM
I think 10mm were most of the bolts on the inside of the car. If you get the UUC, they come with 1/2" bolts. The screw that holds the shifter in is a allenhead wrech (DUMB) I know it was standard, I think it was a 7/16...I'll try to look at it when I get home. You'll need to chamfer the bushings. I just used scissors and cut at an angle....Lindsey Cadillac ships the shifter with a little bottle of lube....that helps. If not, use white lithium grease. You'll need a angled extension or a moveable joint socket wrench to get around the exhaust...mine's 3" so if you have stock exhaust you'll probably be fine. You'll need a friend to hold the screws on top, and you'll need some patience.

BacDoc
05-12-08, 05:30 PM
Thanks. Need to order the bushing.

AirCav
05-12-08, 06:18 PM
Any special tools needed...or odd balls?Check out this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/122603-easy-guide-installing-uuc-shifter-top.html#post1283892
if you haven't already. Pictures and everything! Piece of cake.

BacDoc
05-12-08, 06:25 PM
Thanks.

BacDoc
05-18-08, 05:05 PM
B&M keeps dropping down after I installed it. Like I forgot a clip somehwere but I didn't. Help!

I thought the 2 screws that slide into the metal bracket over the bushing would hold the shifter in place? It just drops down and hits the drive shaft. :/

BacDoc
05-18-08, 05:35 PM
Nevermind.....retaining ring camee off. :grrr:

BacDoc
05-18-08, 06:43 PM
Shifter is in and my world is a better place. Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Sherlock
06-21-08, 08:26 PM
A couple people have mentioned that the UUC shifter didn't not seem/feel short enough. (B&M is apparently shorter) Since the UUC and Katech shifters are so similar does anyone know if one is shorter than the other. They both mention a 30% reduction in travel.

Being that the Katech shifter is threaded, I wonder if its possible to cut it down to make it a little shorter.

Junior1
10-14-08, 02:10 PM
I'm undecided between Katech and UUC, but might be leaning towards the Katech. Either way I will replace the bushings with Luke's...

Where have you guys gotten the Katech from, Lingenfelter or direct from Katech ???

Junior1
10-14-08, 04:35 PM
I'm undecided between Katech and UUC, but might be leaning towards the Katech. Either way I will replace the bushings with Luke's...

Where have you guys gotten the Katech from, Lingenfelter or direct from Katech ???

Also any dislikes about the UUC or Katech ???

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 04:44 PM
UUC makes GREAT quality products. :2thumbs:

They take their sweetass time making their products, but the shifter, bushings, MM's, trans mounts are all top notch!!

Call Luke

rand49er
10-14-08, 05:37 PM
Who on earth resurrected this thread again! :banghead:

Chef
10-14-08, 07:49 PM
UUC :thumbsup:

rand49er
10-14-08, 08:37 PM
UUC :thumbsup:Go away (again), Chef! :thepan:

j/k

Junior1
10-14-08, 09:23 PM
I've been searching/reading for most of the afternoon...

Whats the deal with people saying that the UUC has a "click" to it?

From a past post: "it all depends on if you want it to shift crisply into gear, or if you want it to shift crisply and "click" into gear, if you want the "click" go with the UUC"

rand49er
10-14-08, 10:14 PM
They're all good, Junior. UUC, B&M, Katech, etc. They all "click," they all go "crisply."

The whole argument is about one-piece vs two-piece shifters, and they're all good. The stock shifter is so HORRIBLE, we have a picture of it displayed every Halloween at our house. You should see the kids when they see it. Scary, indeed!

Find somebody with a UUC and drive it. Then, find somebody with a B&M and drive it. I've done it and defy anyone to tell the difference when they do. :D

ROG
10-14-08, 10:33 PM
They're all good, Junior. UUC, B&M, Katech, etc. They all "click," they all go "crisply."

The whole argument is about one-piece vs two-piece shifters, and they're all good. The stock shifter is so HORRIBLE, we have a picture of it displayed every Halloween at our house. You should see the kids when they see it. Scary, indeed!

Find somebody with a UUC and drive it. Then, find somebody with a B&M and drive it. I've done it and defy anyone to tell the difference when they do. :D

:werd:

Junior1
10-14-08, 10:40 PM
No doubt the stock one is poo-poo.
I'm going with either UUC or Katech. Just saw that post and wondered what the click was.
Money is not the object, just wanted to see if one had any benefits over the other (feel, noise, etc)
Getting one installed next week and just wanted some help deciding

rand49er
10-14-08, 10:46 PM
If money is no object (within reason), then go UUC. I have nothing against Katech, mind you, but UUC is by far the better known shifter in this comparison.

(Sure hope you don't get one from "that batch." :canttalk:)

Junior1
10-14-08, 11:41 PM
Well that did catch my eye, I'm sure its an isolated incident. The new Katech is similar in design being 2 piece as well.
I'll probably use the stock knob as I'm not digging the knobs from UUC yet. I like that the stock one snaps right on the UUC, however I think there are more options open if I went with the threaded Katech, even though the stock one needs to be tapped there are a lot of threaded knobs available if I ever wanted to change.
One thing standing out is the fact that one thread mentioned that UUC replaced the bushing at the base of the shifter as opposed to the Katech that reused one of them from the stock one.
I'm hoping to test out both at VDay II and then decide. I'm staying an extra day to have the guys at Lindsay install some things and wanted to be prepared...

smoothq
10-15-08, 11:21 AM
Well that did catch my eye, I'm sure its an isolated incident. The new Katech is similar in design being 2 piece as well.
I'll probably use the stock knob as I'm not digging the knobs from UUC yet. I like that the stock one snaps right on the UUC, however I think there are more options open if I went with the threaded Katech, even though the stock one needs to be tapped there are a lot of threaded knobs available if I ever wanted to change.
One thing standing out is the fact that one thread mentioned that UUC replaced the bushing at the base of the shifter as opposed to the Katech that reused one of them from the stock one.
I'm hoping to test out both at VDay II and then decide. I'm staying an extra day to have the guys at Lindsay install some things and wanted to be prepared...

I have to agree with you on the Katech. I believe that you wont be disappointed with it. I myself went with the B&M and love it so much. That is more my style I like the tuffer feel and the grunt it takes to shift but by it being such a shorter shifter I shift much faster and enjoy it way more, then again I am younger than most of you guys and am probably more stronger also. So it is't as bad for me as it is for someone else. But if it were me and wanted to spend more money I think I would buy the Katech for the universal threads and more options for knobs. Great point Junior1

SFBayV
10-15-08, 04:18 PM

Yes, the UUC shifter utilizes a bushing at the base along with machined end caps which appear to function much like a bearing overall. Very, very nice.

As far as the Katech, you'll need to find a shift knob with 5/8" (.625") x 16NF or 18NF threads. I believe that Isotta manufactures shift knobs that are machined at 5/8" in diameter, however I don't know how many threads per inch they are. The MOMO shift knobs which I'd seen were .60" and thus too small for the Katech shifter. I'm certain that there are several other manufacturers that manufacture shift knobs that will fit the Katech.

Junior1
10-15-08, 04:58 PM
Still can't find anything regarding that post of a "click"
Can anyone with a UUC confirm what that means? Is it loud?
Can anyone elaborate?

AirCav
10-15-08, 06:21 PM
Still can't find anything regarding that post of a "click"
Can anyone with a UUC confirm what that means? Is it loud?
Can anyone elaborate?No, there is nothing "loud" about the UUC shifter.

I'm sure the person who gave that description simply meant that it moved with precision through the gates and in to gear, in contrast to the factory POS. You know, snick snick. I have never heard of any kind of "click" being audible.

The UUC is the current gold standard for CTS-V shifters. It is what all others are compared to. The Katech (their current one) is a good copy and a little bit less expensive. The others are cheaper and many people seem satisfied with them. The transmission noise with the B&M is a common complaint (archive) that may be lessened with dynomat. A handful of folks swear their B&M is quiet as a mouse and also makes a hell of a martini. Who knows?

Not really directed at you but:

This discussion is similar to the catback debate. There are well known, established options and there are others whose biggest selling point is that they are cheap. Fair enough. No use throwing money around unnecessarily. It's up to you to work out that cost vs quality/performance equation.

I just have a little bit of trouble understanding the logic of people buying a $54,000 Cadillac and then going shopping with "cheapest" being a primary discriminator. (unless, of course, they are buying "rims" or audio equipment. Then money is no object)

I recommend the UUC followed by the Katech.

Junior1
10-15-08, 06:43 PM
Cool, thanks for clearing up the "click" issue...

And I agree 100% with ya on the $ issue

rand49er
10-15-08, 10:10 PM
No, there is nothing "loud" about the UUC shifter.
...Except the chi-ching of the $ leaving your wallet.

j/k You'll love the UUC shifter! ;)

thebigjimsho
10-16-08, 12:51 AM
Believe me, UUC will NOT be sending any shifters from "that batch". If you saw the bottom section of the old 2 piece with the new, the new is much more stout.

Koooop
10-16-08, 03:14 PM
And all that being said I still went with B & M.

SFBayV
10-16-08, 03:39 PM
And all that being said I still went with B & M.

That's great. I'm certain that will work wonders in your car over the stock shifter and at a substantially lower cost than the UUC.

Koooop
10-16-08, 04:34 PM
It did work wonders and It wasn't the cost.

I wanted a direct, short throw shifter with a Shifty Dr. feel. UUC is smooth, quiet, high quality and very Europeein feeling IMO.

B & M gives an M22 Rock Crusher/hurst shifter feel. (insert a grunt in there when you say that)

SFBayV
10-16-08, 06:20 PM
I know what you mean. I had a 1971 Camaro with a Rock Crusher and the factory Hurst shifter in it. I loved the feel. I'll be installing one in my 1970 Nova with an aluminum head 454 "LS-6". The sound from that gearbox was magnificent.

Koooop
10-20-08, 02:37 PM
I know what you mean. I had a 1971 Camaro with a Rock Crusher and the factory Hurst shifter in it. I loved the feel. I'll be installing one in my 1970 Nova with an aluminum head 454 "LS-6". The sound from that gearbox was magnificent.

You get what I'm saying! Hail Jack "Doc" Watson! :worship:

I don't run my car on the track so smooth isn't where I'm at.

Gordy Petrovski
10-20-08, 04:14 PM
Installed the Katech 76,000 miles ago & still Luv it.

Koooop
10-21-08, 04:59 PM

Next time I'm in SF I want to go for a ride in the Nova!

SFBayV
10-22-08, 10:57 AM
Sure. Just give a couple of years to get that engine built. At this point, I'm still trying to acquire date code correct parts.

Cory

sundevil05ctsv
06-16-11, 11:10 AM
Where are you buying the B&M short shifters for the 05 CTS-V's? I can't find them online anywhere! HELP!:bighead:

Koooop
06-17-11, 12:33 AM
Good luck with that.

soflarick
06-17-11, 11:49 PM
Don't bother with searching for a B&M. Contact PISNUOFF on this forum for a much better product at a lower price.