: Rear suspension issue

z06ttvette
04-12-08, 08:36 PM
Hoping someone can help with a suspension part problem...My wife recently went over a metal pipe in the road that damaged the rear lower bar on the driver side that goes from the lower axle to the frame. Looks like some kind of ladder or torsion bar that has busings on both ends and moves up and down with the rear axle and suspension.

Anyone know the name of this part and where I can buy a replacement besides the dealership? Will the damaged part cause a problem with rear wheel alignment? The part is bent in the middle but looks O.K. at each attached end.

Any help would be appreciated!

DaveH28
04-12-08, 10:03 PM
Sounds like a lower control arm ?

The rear axle is fixed so there really aren't any alignment adjustments, however if this is bent it could cause the tire to wear improperly until it's replaced..

Dif
04-13-08, 01:10 AM
It's called a ladder bar or trailing arm but, if it's bent, it should be replaced.
As mentioned there's no adjustments for the rear end but if the bar is bent bad enough, it is now shorter than the other one.
If bad enough, it's pulled the left rear tire closer to the front of the vehicle than what the right rear tire is now.
Also as mentioned,...not only can the tires wear but the the rear end will want to track straight and cause the vehicle to go down the road slightly sideways.

One way to check if it is affecting anything:

A left rear bent bar, will cause the right rear to be to the right since the 2 rear tires now try to stay going straight down the road,
so,..
while driving down a straight road, see if you have to keep your steering wheel slightly turned to the right to also keep the 2 front tires going in a straight line down the road.

Think of being parked at a slight angle in the road and then think of the vehicle going down a straight road with the vehicle still at an angle :bonkers:

z06ttvette
04-13-08, 08:28 PM
It's called a ladder bar or trailing arm but, if it's bent, it should be replaced.
As mentioned there's no adjustments for the rear end but if the bar is bent bad enough, it is now shorter than the other one.
If bad enough, it's pulled the left rear tire closer to the front of the vehicle than what the right rear tire is now.
Also as mentioned,...not only can the tires wear but the the rear end will want to track straight and cause the vehicle to go down the road slightly sideways.

One way to check if it is affecting anything:

A left rear bent bar, will cause the right rear to be to the right since the 2 rear tires now try to stay going straight down the road,
so,..
while driving down a straight road, see if you have to keep your steering wheel slightly turned to the right to also keep the 2 front tires going in a straight line down the road.

Think of being parked at a slight angle in the road and then think of the vehicle going down a straight road with the vehicle still at an angle :bonkers:

Thanks for the info. The bar is shaped like an "n" or inverted "u" and somehow whatever she hit caused it to bow in the middle. The end links look O.K. and are not spread apart in any way but the center is spread pretty bad. Is this something I could replace myself if I ordered the parts from GM or better yet over the internet such as gmpartsdirect? I have a pretty well equipped tool wise and work on cars as a hobby. The nut on the front(toward driver compartment) comes off easy enough but I am not sure how hard the others will be.
Thanks again.:highfive:

Dif
04-14-08, 03:11 PM
You're Welcome and it should not be very hard to remove and replace.
2 bolts as you've seen .. one on each end.
Myself, I would try a dealer for the part.
Gmpartsdirect has good prices but sometimes the shipping is very high.
Just check to see which would be the better overall price.
Good luck.

z06ttvette
04-14-08, 11:13 PM
You're Welcome and it should not be very hard to remove and replace.
2 bolts as you've seen .. one on each end.
Myself, I would try a dealer for the part.
Gmpartsdirect has good prices but sometimes the shipping is very high.
Just check to see which would be the better overall price.
Good luck.

All done...$47.00 for part at local dealer and 20 minutes to install including removing the wheel and brackets for brake lines. Hardest part was hammering the bolts through since they are splined and a bit rusty.

Stealer gave me a quote of $242.00.

Thanks once again.