: 98 Eldo pcm into a 97 STS

JoeMack
04-12-08, 08:10 PM
I have a 97 STS that is failing emissions due to a not ready response. I ran the car for almost 60 days with many cycles and conditions and can't get the computer into a ready state. Mass won't inspect with a tail pipe test on any OBD II car and I can no longer drive the car on the road. Even if I have the computer looked at by a authorized inspection repair center I will no longer be able to drive it to attempt another reset.

My 98 Eldo blew a HG at 160,000 and I kept the pcm, many sensors and the resistor that I had spliced into the wires that check the key chip resistance. Does anyone know if I can put this pcm into the 97 STS? I do realize that this would most likely cause the radio to lock-out. Honestly, I just want to get this thing a sticker for another year. In order to reset the pcm to ready, assuming this will work, I will have to have my wife sell me the car, this will allow me to legally drive it on the road for 7 days before I will need to inspect it again.

-Thx

CadillacSTS42005
04-13-08, 06:17 PM
no
the PCM must be calibrated for your car

AJxtcman
04-13-08, 08:38 PM
I have a 97 STS that is failing emissions due to a not ready response. I ran the car for almost 60 days with many cycles and conditions and can't get the computer into a ready state. Mass won't inspect with a tail pipe test on any OBD II car and I can no longer drive the car on the road. Even if I have the computer looked at by a authorized inspection repair center I will no longer be able to drive it to attempt another reset.

My 98 Eldo blew a HG at 160,000 and I kept the pcm, many sensors and the resistor that I had spliced into the wires that check the key chip resistance. Does anyone know if I can put this pcm into the 97 STS? I do realize that this would most likely cause the radio to lock-out. Honestly, I just want to get this thing a sticker for another year. In order to reset the pcm to ready, assuming this will work, I will have to have my wife sell me the car, this will allow me to legally drive it on the road for 7 days before I will need to inspect it again.

-Thx

I need your VIN

JoeMack
04-14-08, 09:16 PM
Guys thanks for the replies. AJxtcman I enjoyed reading your thread on the root cause of head gasket leaks. It appears for a few years that Cadillac had a metallurgy problem as well as load fatigue from a lack of thread engagement. I'm not sure which condition I had in my Eldo, the car ran and looked impeccable but had too many miles on it to warrant a tear down. I do know that the leak was only into the #1 cylinder.

I have since read a response you gave someone else about the Y and 9 engines. I realize there may be too may differences in the PCM. If so can the PCM be reprogrammed by Caddy?

I was wondering if the PCM is never ready due to a poor or broken contact in the wiring harness.

Here are the VIN's.

98 Eldo. ETC: 1G6EL12Y1WU61XXXX

97 STS: 1G6KY5296VU82XXXX

-thx

AJxtcman
04-16-08, 08:23 AM
Guys thanks for the replies. AJxtcman I enjoyed reading your thread on the root cause of head gasket leaks. It appears for a few years that Cadillac had a metallurgy problem as well as load fatigue from a lack of thread engagement. I'm not sure which condition I had in my Eldo, the car ran and looked impeccable but had too many miles on it to warrant a tear down. I do know that the leak was only into the #1 cylinder.

I have since read a response you gave someone else about the Y and 9 engines. I realize there may be too may differences in the PCM. If so can the PCM be reprogrammed by Caddy?

I was wondering if the PCM is never ready due to a poor or broken contact in the wiring harness.

Here are the VIN's.

98 Eldo. ETC: 1G6EL12Y1WU61XXXX

97 STS: 1G6KY5296VU82XXXX

-thx
I need the last 8 of the 97.
I will run a GM VIS and look at the emmision options.