: Finally - Proper iPod integration!

LLT
04-12-08, 03:04 AM
I've spent well over $1,500 in iPod kits over the last couple of years (I know, crazy.) Neucleus, Scosche, Peripheral, Coastal and the aforementioned knockoffs. All of them had their issues and none worked flawlessly (Coastal's junk was the worst of the bunch) but I finally picked up the Peripheral PXAMG (http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/products.aspx?ProductID=276) and installed it. I've been using it for about 3 months now and have yet to have a single issue. It seems to work flawlessly, everytime, under all conditions. It remembers my position (of all three iPods), always displays the right data, sounds crystal clear, very responsive, doesn't have the list limitations the others have, allows proper use of the up/down buttons on the steering wheel, etc. What a huge improvement over their previous unit (slow, buggy, incompatible with the iPhone/touch.) Perfect!

The downside is, it requires pulling the head unit and connecting directly to the harness (vs. the XM tuner) -- but it's a small price to pay.

I've always complained about the awful iPod integration options available. I felt it only fair to share my positive experience. I'm not sure if GM Geek is still around and is able to get these units, but he was always very helpful to me in the past. It would be great if he could help you guys out.

Good luck. :)

hcvone
04-12-08, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info

marcev
04-12-08, 10:33 AM
good stuff. do you lose xm by connecting this? also where did you purchase. i was looking at the scosche but if this is better(price wise also) i would like to get this.

larry_chip
04-12-08, 10:35 PM
i want a ipod hook up for my truck, but have been confused on which one to get? i really want the bluetooth tho? how hard was the install?

DaveH28
04-12-08, 11:00 PM
I also have a good ipod integration product to share.. it is made by a company called smartpark i believe..

Now I know this is the wrong forum to say this :) but I am using it in an 04 EXT. The same unit is/was available for the 07s as well..

It is complete 100% integration -- song name & artist name on your screen, control from steering wheel or radio buttons, plugs in via XM DRR so no removal of head unit required.. The ipod mounts hide-a-way and never needs to be touched...

The only problem is I've had it for about 6 months+ and have heard the manufacturer is no longer making them.. But I have no problems with mine.. If anyone is looking for one of these I'll try to get more info. I think I paid about $200 for it.

yourgmsolutions
04-12-08, 11:20 PM
Coastal Elactronics was making those units for smart park

larry_chip
04-12-08, 11:31 PM
yea, id rather go with something eay just plug & play insted of takeing the navi out,

GM SOLOUTION GUY, you never got back to me with getting the lock pic for my truck, i wanted everything the bluetooth,the ipod & back up camera thingy, you said i could get another unit that dose all 3, let me know man, im looking to get something soon.

it sounds like LLT has some experience with ipods & escalades so i'll his advice on ipod kits, i think i might go with that one.
let me know? all info helps.

LLT
04-14-08, 11:12 PM
You don't lose the XM. The install was fairly easy -- I wasn't keen on taking the nav unit out either and I'm far from an audio nut, but you just pop the trim piece off (be careful), remove a few screws, disconnect the factory harness from the back of the radio, connect the iPod kit supplied harness and then plug the factory harness back into that.

DaveH28 - The 04 and 07's are so entirely different from an electronics standpoint. The 07's use GM's new LAN system which is effectively nearly every electronic component in and on the car communicating on the same bus - from the window switch to the radio to the climate control. In fact, one kit I had prevented the HVAC from operating correctly. Every iPod kit I've tried in the 07's that plugs into the XM tuner has had some sort of quirk or odd issue, some worse than others... that's why I finally bit the bullet and got one that connects to the head unit.

As for bluetooth, I'm not sure if it's available yet, but the PXAMG device is actually a gateway. For example, they have an HD radio module I installed. As I understand it, they're coming out with a bluetooth module for it as well, but I don't know much about it. I do know, however, that you can unplug the module (I mounted it behind the glovebox for this reason), plug it into your computer and update it yourself (although I've not had to do this yet.) A huge plus for me as every other iPod kit I've had, I've been told by the manufacturer that "yes, we know it won't stop charging - it will be fixed in the next release" -- "no, it's not compatible with the iPod Touch, we're working on a revision" etc.. but it required sending the unit back to them.

Neucleus was fairly good to me too (I bought my original from GM Solution Guy :)), overall. My only problem was, it didn't work properly with the iPhone and Touch models -- they said they were working on an update, but I lost interest. At the risk of seeming bitter, every piece of Coastal gear I installed either wreaked havoc (there's actually (or was) a GM TSB that eludes to the lockpick causing electrical issues with your vehicle) or was just plain garbage. I installed both gen lockpicks and even after a host of issues they never resolved (I'm a slow learner) I decided to give their iPod kit a try. There was terrible hissing noises with both XM and iPod which turned out to be a standard defective factory harness. They never did respond or make it right. I fixed the harness myself, but the kit was so slow and buggy, I ended up throwing it in the trash anyway. That was about four months ago.

By the way - I picked up the PXAMG from AutoToys, I believe.

adeedon32
05-17-08, 04:48 AM
Have you guys ever heard of an IPOD integration kit made by Pacific Audio? The model number is uPAC-GM29. I'm wondering what your thoughts are and if you think it is the same/better/or worse than either the schosche or peripheral model. They dealer I went to said it was the same as peripheral, but the unit did not look the same? Any thoughts?

Also, LLT, any chances of you posting a video of how the peripheral unit works? I'd like to see how it compares? Thanks.

hcvone
05-17-08, 08:24 AM
They all look like they are made by the same company, just some color changes.

wycoff22
05-31-08, 01:17 AM
LT did you ever try any of yourgmsolutions kit and if so what was the decision to lose that and keep searching??

camens
06-02-08, 04:16 PM
Anyone know if you could use a gen 4 lockpick and the PXAMG?

yourgmsolutions
06-03-08, 02:42 AM
Anyone know if you could use a gen 4 lockpick and the PXAMG?

I don't see any reason why you could not

BD997
08-05-08, 06:25 PM
LOCKPICK sucks... im sorry but its true... I have it for about 2 weeks and its NOT USER FRIENDLY AT ALL.... my install guy said if I found something better he would replace it.... and I think I might try PXAMG... thanks for this thread!

urbanstyles
08-07-08, 04:48 AM
Are you able to just set it to do a random play of all your songs on your IPOD? I have 7000 + songs and I don't want to be constantly picking specific songs to play so I tend to just leave it on random. Does the interface allow for this or am i stuck with going with an aftermarket stereo with a legitimate IPOD interface option?

Thanks for the info in advance.

hcvone
08-07-08, 08:43 AM
My IPods work pretty well, been using them for over a year and a half in both trucks, it's true you have to get used to how they work i.e. what buttons need to be used to work the unit, once you understand that it works pretty well, I use mine daily

Kickboxer
08-16-08, 04:26 PM
Are you able to just set it to do a random play of all your songs on your IPOD? I have 7000 + songs and I don't want to be constantly picking specific songs to play so I tend to just leave it on random. Does the interface allow for this or am i stuck with going with an aftermarket stereo with a legitimate IPOD interface option?

Thanks for the info in advance.

I'm using the PAC brand. It does not shuffle songs from what I could figure out. Scrolling through songs is not user intuitive it displays numbers instead for speed of scrolling and once you select then it will list titles, makes browsing for the exact song or group a little difficult to say the least. It also has a little bit of floor noise hiss. Overall way better than the Neucleus or Coastal Tech units I had before this but far from a perfect setup.

jyellowmomo
09-10-08, 01:58 PM
Thanks for this post! I just ordered everything for IPod & bluetooth for my 2008 Escalade EXT from autotoys. I can't wait till it arrives!

fear1
10-14-08, 11:40 AM
I heard that if you have rear video that you can't hook up an Ipod. Is this true?

hcvone
10-14-08, 11:55 AM
Most hook into the XM box, should have nothing to do with the rear seat entertainment. :)

GMBOUND
10-17-08, 10:06 PM
Are you guys getting video from your Ipod too?

GMBOUND
11-07-08, 09:31 PM

hello

fear1
01-06-09, 05:27 PM
OK, let me se if I have this correct, for an 07 Escalade install all I need is the PXAMG and it is a plug and play deal. Well, after I remove and reinstall the unit with the PXAMG plugged in. Does the Nav and RSE work while using the IPOD? After a trip over Christmas with my wife and daughter in the back seat watching movies while my son and I were up front desperately searching for radio stations in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri, I realize that it is time to invest.

mdadgar
01-06-09, 07:24 PM
my son and I were up front desperately searching for radio stations in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri, I realize that it is time to invest.

XM.

SO worth it.

- Mark

fear1
01-07-09, 10:04 AM
XM.

SO worth it.

- Mark

Good point, I didn't even think about going that route.

hcvone
01-07-09, 10:33 AM
Never thought I would pay for radio, but for me it's worth it, would not be without it now

fear1
01-08-09, 10:00 AM
I do enjoy the Sirius in my Mustang GT that Ford forgot to turn off for the past 8 months.

italianospeed
01-08-09, 02:33 PM

Anyone?

zx6racer
01-16-09, 08:20 PM
I would video

rtrgjr
02-12-09, 04:20 PM
I just installed the Peripheral PXAMG in my 2007 EXT with nav, first problem was I had a bad gateway which would not allow the HD unit to play, It did work for couple days than stopped working on anything. so had a new gateway installed which fixed the HD radio problem and now the IPOD will only play under AUX 2 which plays the same song over and over. When it tries to hookup via the IPOD section it trys then switches back to where it was last working. I am using the gen 1 Nano.. looking for any suggestion on what I may be doing wrong.

rabjab12
02-15-09, 11:15 AM
Radio Shack sells a cable that allows the ipod to plug into the audio video inputs in the rear console. For some reason volume is not very load, but other than that you can get audio and video to come out of the stereo.