: Well the American version of Top Gear has already failed

Blackout
04-11-08, 06:03 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/us-top-gear-scoop-dan-neil-released-from-nbc-contract/

EDIT: Turns out the website edited the article since it was first put out. Here's what it said originally at the very end of the article.

Neil also reveals that NBC and the BBC are aware that aping the original Top Gear's no-holds-barred reviewing style could piss off the media company's automotive advertisers– and devised a solution. "They're writing around the problem, by not doing car reviews unless they really love the car." Meanwhile, the clock is ticking on finding Neil's replacement. Anyone heard anything?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-11-08, 06:11 PM
I never heard of it, but okay. I love Top Gear and watch it whevever its on BBC America. They do some funny stuff on there.

Blackout
04-11-08, 06:23 PM
I never heard of it, but okay. I love Top Gear and watch it whevever its on BBC America. They do some funny stuff on there.NBC and the BBC are working together to make an American version of Top Gear that will be on NBC. The downside is that the hosts for Top Gear in the UK will have nothing to do with the American version. Adam Corrolla alone guarantees the shows failure

gary88
04-11-08, 06:48 PM
New season of the real Top Gear coming in the summer!

Murphyg
04-11-08, 07:12 PM
So no reviews unless they really love the car ??
So I guess no show whatsoever then.

Even with Top Gear on BBC, I dont think Ive seen them give a full thumbs up on any vehicle that they have tested.
Except for maybe one ?? Eventually....
I cant recall the name of the vehicle. But its the only car that The Stig has ever lost control of. He went off the track and through a tire wall. Tore up the carbon fiber on the front end pretty good.
They commented that if there was a back fin/scoop, then it would handle better, and probably become the fastest for there track.

Amazingly !! The company took there advice, put one on, and gave them the car back :eek: Sure enough its now at the top.

Other than the return of that vehicle, Ive never seen them give any vehicle a full thumbs up. No matter how much any of them like a vehicle. They always make sure they are thorough, and let the viewers know as much as possible about all aspects of the vehicles they test.
They go from price, right down to the ease of the radio controls, and the fabrics used.

Its a truly informative show with no holds barred.
Anything else would be an insult and a waste of time. Nothing more than.....like stated earlier....an infomercial. :thehand:

If they dont want to do it right and true to its form. Then they shouldnt even consider the idea. :thepan:

gary88
04-11-08, 07:19 PM
So no reviews unless they really love the car ??
So I guess no show whatsoever then.

Even with Top Gear on BBC, I dont think Ive seen them give a full thumbs up on any vehicle that they have tested.
Except for maybe one ?? Eventually....
I cant recall the name of the vehicle. But its the only car that The Stig has ever lost control of. He went off the track and through a tire wall. Tore up the carbon fiber on the front end pretty good.
They commented that if there was a back fin/scoop, then it would handle better, and probably become the fastest for there track.

Amazingly !! The company took there advice, put one on, and gave them the car back :eek: Sure enough its now at the top.

Other than the return of that vehicle, Ive never seen them give any vehicle a full thumbs up. No matter how much any of them like a vehicle. They always make sure they are thorough, and let the viewers know as much as possible about all aspects of the vehicles they test.
They go from price, right down to the ease of the radio controls, and the fabrics used.

Its a truly informative show with no holds barred.
Anything else would be an insult and a waste of time. Nothing more than.....like stated earlier....an infomercial. :thehand:

If they dont want to do it right and true to its form. Then they shouldnt even consider the idea. :thepan:

That was the Koenigsegg CCX they tested.

Top Gear is MUCH better suited as it is now with Clarkson, Hammond, and May. Those three, plus the European atmosphere, amazing cinematography, and wit of those three, is what give the show it's character.

Murphyg
04-11-08, 07:23 PM
That was the Koenigsegg CCX they tested...................

Thats It !!!!

Thanx much !!!

Guess I cant recall the name cause I cant pronounce it :drool:

Blackout
04-11-08, 07:24 PM
That was the Koenigsegg CCX they tested.

Top Gear is MUCH better suited as it is now with Clarkson, Hammond, and May. Those three, plus the European atmosphere, amazing cinematography, and wit of those three, is what give the show it's character.

Yeah for real. Can you imagine Adam Corrolla trying to do that challenge when they crossed the English Channel on their car boats? The other thing is that those guys on Top Gear UK have big time driving back grounds so are they going to have Corrolla test driving these cars and actually listening to what the hell he has to say about it?

Jesda
04-11-08, 07:28 PM
The Fat Stig is displeased.

Murphyg
04-11-08, 07:33 PM
Yeah for real. Can you imagine Adam Corrolla trying to do that challenge when they crossed the English Channel on their car boats? The other thing is that those guys on Top Gear UK have big time driving back grounds so are they going to have Corrolla test driving these cars and actually listening to what the hell he has to say about it?

LMAO :highfive: Car Boats !!!!!! Forgot about that :histeric::histeric:

I dont see a problem with the motor companies having there vehicles tested and rated true to form for the viewing consumer. They should listen to it !!

Its not as though they ever truly bash a vehicle. They cover everything. Sure one may not compare to another with horsepower.......but look at the price difference.....

I think they do a great job and are very fair.
IE : The Mustang GT was the only super car that was able to get out of the parking garage unassisted LOL

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-11-08, 08:08 PM
I'm somewhat let down, but I know TG will never be TG without Clarkson, May and Hammond.

I'm dying to know who the Stig really is. Just imagine if it was like Mick Jagger!

Blackout
04-11-08, 08:19 PM
I'm somewhat let down, but I know TG will never be TG without Clarkson, May and Hammond.

I'm dying to know who the Stig really is. Just imagine if it was like Mick Jagger!

It's a tight lipped secret but rumor has it that it is F1 driver Julian Bailey

Murphyg
04-11-08, 08:21 PM

Didnt you here the real rumor...Apparently its Hendrix. :yup:
Morrison and Elvis are his trainers.....Jagger didnt want anything to do with it though.....So Richards decided to fund them :suspect:

Just kidding LOL...What I really heard was, (and its the truth cause I heard it on the internet), the Stig is that guy that played Doogie Howser :D

I actually wouldnt want to know. Seeing as his identity has been secret right from the beginning, is one of the things that gives the show its charm.

I thought the episode to the North Pole was cool. (no pun intended).
That show must cost the producers a freakin fortune.

gary88
04-11-08, 10:01 PM
The North Pole episode was amazing. Gotta love the toilet seat they put on the back of the Toyota.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-11-08, 10:06 PM
Clarkson loves his 600 Grosser Benz.

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2008/03/stories/02/1.html

MauiV
04-11-08, 10:24 PM

It is also widely believed it is a few different F1 drivers and whomever is free gets to be The Stig that week. Damon Hill and Ben Collins top the list

The original "Black Stig" was F1 driver Perry mcCarthy but was "killed off by producers who were unhappy he revealed his identity.

AMGoff
04-12-08, 12:12 AM
I had already lost interest in this new version once it was released that they would be picking celebrities to present the show. When I heard however that Dan Neil would be the "nuts and bolts" guy, I thought they might have some hope, as Neil is infamous for his sharp tongue... but so much for that now.

It just goes to show how sad this country is sometimes when we can't even get a show like this off the ground properly. Granted, the current format of Top Gear is much more of an entertainment program than anything else, unlike its first iteration.... but when they do actually review a car, they're brutally honest about it (although not always correct.) But the fact remains that you don't go to Top Gear for information... if that's all you're after there are countless other outlets, most notably - Fifth Gear... which is basically nothing but a transplant of old Top Gear.

Unfortunately, American Top Gear just won't work for two reasons... A: it's already been proven it can't fly on network TV... had they gone to something like HBO... or hell, even PBS, that would be a different story... but noooo - we can't piss off our advertisers! And B: Love him or hate him... Clarkson is the meat and potatoes of that show... and it's his chemistry with May (whom I think is the best one out of the lot) and Hammond which makes Top Gear what it is.

Either way... I don't really care because I've got my Top Gear Mondays on BBC America (which I've heard has been gathering solid rating), as well as about 30GBs of TG on my server, so all is well!

Speaking of which... did anyone catch their latest special? Top Gear Ground Force? Not a single car in the entire program but it was amusing as hell! I just can't wait until the summer when the new series starts!

gary88
04-12-08, 12:51 AM
Speaking of which... did anyone catch their latest special? Top Gear Ground Force? Not a single car in the entire program but it was amusing as hell! I just can't wait until the summer when the new series starts!

I was JUST going to comment about that. What an episode! The things that happened to that poor shed. I don't know where I would be without my fix of Top Gear "fixes".

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
04-12-08, 03:12 PM
Indeed, no-one seriously watches Top Gear for actual car buying advice (at least I hope not!).
The stuff they say is 90-95% for entertainment value only.

And the key to Top Gear is the relationship between the 3 presenters, that's why it works.
Fifth Gear in the UK has tried to copy the format of the show, but it's somehow low budget (with, in comparison, poor photography and editing) and their is no chemistry between the presenters which is unsurprising as they're not very good individually anyway...

concorso
04-12-08, 06:24 PM
Ive noticed lots of you guys watch Top Gear on a couple different networks.

If the network you watch shows an episode thats less then 1 full hour, youre missing out an parts of that episode.

concorso
04-12-08, 06:28 PM
IE : The Mustang GT was the only super car that was able to get out of the parking garage unassisted LOL Ford GT...

I know what you meant, but it bothered me.

HITMONEY
04-12-08, 10:11 PM

There has been more than one Stig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
04-13-08, 09:16 AM
A friend of mine knows the Stig. He came to collect the data logger they manufacture for racing cars. (the one that was used in the crash that Hammond had in the jet car btw).
He won't tell me who he is though...

Blackout
04-13-08, 08:26 PM
Ive noticed lots of you guys watch Top Gear on a couple different networks.

If the network you watch shows an episode thats less then 1 full hour, youre missing out an parts of that episode.

Usually when the Top Gear episode is under an hour long it's because they usually edit out the interview they do with the english star and then have them do a lap on the course.

Blackout
04-13-08, 08:27 PM
Ford GT...

lmao!

Murphyg
04-15-08, 06:12 PM
Ford GT...

After posting had a feeling I messed that up. But had shut down and was on my way out of the house.
Thanx

Thomas Carey
04-19-08, 01:41 PM
I love Top Gear (I watch the actually UK version not the shows that are edited for the North American market. Those hot laps with those brit stars are quite entertaining!)! I never heard of this other program. I have to say I am not shocked. Many times American versions of great British shows pale in comparison or just down right flop.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

concorso
04-19-08, 04:57 PM
I love Top Gear (I watch the actually UK version not the shows that are edited for the North American market. Those hot laps with those brit stars are quite entertaining!)! I never heard of this other program. I have to say I am not shocked. Many times American versions of great British shows pale in comparison or just down right flop.

Best Regards,

Thomas CareyThe most recent example of this is The Office. While I dont find the US version as bad as some people make it out to be, its still a poor version compared to the Original with Ricky Gervais.

AMGoff
04-20-08, 03:11 PM
Who bad mouths The Office? I personally think it's one of the funniest shows on television right now (that and 30 Rock). Plus I think it's unfair to compare it to the original version these days... they've both developed into mature shows in their own right, in that all of the characters have developed great chemistry with one another. Either way, I think the American Office can more than stand on its own merit, regardless of the fact that the premise may have originally came from across the pond.

Jesda
04-20-08, 04:32 PM
The Office rocks! Of course, the original was an original TV series that has now ended. The US version has so far filled three years of content.