: A/C blowing warm air

limoguy
04-10-08, 05:31 PM
1998 cadi deville.
Last year the A/C worked great, nice & cold. I put it on today for the first time. Its blowing warm air. There seems to be no codes showing. Monitored systems show everything is OK.
Should I put a can of freon in?
Is it possible theres a leak?
what should I do? thanks

krimson_cardnal
04-10-08, 10:30 PM
Based on a recent post [click (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/136806-heating-c-system-please-help.html)] I'll ask what outside air temp is your ride showing? If it doesn't reflect the true ambient air temp your A/C, like saying its colder outside than it actually is, might be trying to provide heat instead of cool. Low refrigerant will trip a code. K_C

limoguy
04-11-08, 08:09 AM
Based on a recent post [click (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/136806-heating-c-system-please-help.html)] I'll ask what outside air temp is your ride showing? If it doesn't reflect the true ambient air temp your A/C, like saying its colder outside than it actually is, might be trying to provide heat instead of cool. Low refrigerant will trip a code. K_C

The outside temp was reading 77 degrees. I had the inside temp set at 60. The car got rear-ended in the winter (no bad damage though), it was more of a jolt from a jap car. I was thinking something got loose.

Ranger
04-11-08, 09:48 AM
Is the compressor engaging? If so, you probably need to add some refrigerant.

C&C
04-11-08, 11:36 AM
Again, is the compressor engaging. If it is and you're not getting any cold air you probably have enough refrigerant (if you've leaked refrigerant, there is low pressure switch that will prevent the compressor from engaging). Again, if it is engaging and is trying to make cold air, you may have a vacuum leak somewhere (vacuum controls all of the a/c vent doors and could be diverting your cold air).

limoguy
04-11-08, 04:35 PM
Again, is the compressor engaging. If it is and you're not getting any cold air you probably have enough refrigerant (if you've leaked refrigerant, there is low pressure switch that will prevent the compressor from engaging). Again, if it is engaging and is trying to make cold air, you may have a vacuum leak somewhere (vacuum controls all of the a/c vent doors and could be diverting your cold air).

ok...thanks, i will look into it...

also thanks ranger

limoguy
04-11-08, 04:40 PM
One question.....How would you look for a vacuum leak? follow the hoses?

krimson_cardnal
04-11-08, 05:01 PM
Yup, one by one. They tend to deteriorate from the heat. Visually you might find obvious places - or not.... K_C

Ranger
04-11-08, 08:11 PM
A stethoscope is a great aid in locating a vacuum leak.

limoguy
04-16-08, 02:14 PM
Aparently my a/c compressor is shot my mechanic said. Should I buy a new or used compressor?

C&C
04-16-08, 03:59 PM
If you love your car, and you plan on keeping it for an extended time, buy new; if you thinking it's time to trade and I just need to get through this summer, look around for a rebuilt or used.

limoguy
04-24-08, 07:04 PM
If you love your car, and you plan on keeping it for an extended time, buy new; if you thinking it's time to trade and I just need to get through this summer, look around for a rebuilt or used.

Well...I got the A/C fixed today. I had a new Compressor and a new Accumulator installed. Now, its a joy to drive once again. At 162K miles, I feel she has alot more in her. So far, I have few complaints. Still getiing 23MPG..

Thanks to everyone who helped.;)

tateos
04-25-08, 01:45 PM
Buy NEW

pompste
07-20-08, 08:47 PM
Well...I got the A/C fixed today. I had a new Compressor and a new Accumulator installed. Now, its a joy to drive once again. At 162K miles, I feel she has alot more in her. So far, I have few complaints. Still getiing 23MPG..

Could i ask what was the total bill for your compressor and accumulator was? I`m having similiar problems.

msta293412
08-05-08, 10:41 PM
me too....

pompste
08-07-08, 10:50 PM

Limoguy`s last post was in April----i doubt if he`ll respond.I took my Caddy into the Cadillac dealership for AC repair 2 days ago.The compressor was corroded along with several related parts---$1200 total bill,damn that hurt! Some big bill/bills always comes up when you need to hang onto every penny the most.
There goes my vacation cash for the year.

limoguy
08-13-08, 07:44 PM
I had my a/c compresser and accumallater changed at about 162K. He used generic, new parts and saved me BIG BUCKS. Cost me $630 installed!!
As you can imagine, im lovin life.

pompste
08-14-08, 08:41 AM
I had my a/c compresser and accumallater changed at about 162K. He used generic, new parts and saved me BIG BUCKS. Cost me $630 installed!!
As you can imagine, im lovin life.

Man,you really got a great deal!

limoguy
08-18-08, 10:30 PM
Yes..I have a fantastic mechanic. The prices are extremely fair!!