: North* pros and cons?

cadillac6
05-26-04, 12:16 AM
Now I know this is a VERY broad question and it might piss some people off. But I just wanted to know the goods and the bads of having this engine. And do northstars get hotter than a regular engine because its aluminum?

Randy_W
05-26-04, 08:43 AM
Now I know this is a VERY broad question and it might piss some people off. But I just wanted to know the goods and the bads of having this engine. And do northstars get hotter than a regular engine because its aluminum?

Aluminum doesn't retain heat as well as iron.
Having said that, I'm sure some engineer or metalurgist will chime in with why I'm wrong or a yea, but, explaination for this!:halo::D

BeelzeBob
05-26-04, 12:31 PM
There are many prior posts similar to this. You might do some searching in the archives to avoid a lot of repeats....

The engine does not run "hotter" because it is aluminum. Aluminum actually transfers heat better than cast iron. It retains less heat but it can actually "cool" better.

The coolant temperature observed is simply the level the cooling system is designed to operate at. The cooling fans do not turn on until about 225F as the system is perfectly happy at that temp. It is desireable to run the engine around this range to boil the moisture out of the oil in the winter time.

Also, the higher the coolant temperature, the more efficient the cooling system is due to the greater temperature difference between the radiator and the ambient air.

Any modern cooling system is capable or operating in the range of 225F to 245-250F without any problems at all. A 15 PSI system with 50/50 coolant/water mixture will not boil over until 265F so there is absolutely no risk of "over heating" at 245-250F.....

Late model cars with electric cooling fans "cool" differently than older cars with engine driven fans. With electric fans the engine temp can rise significantly if the fans are not running....and they are turned off to conserve electrical energy and reduce noise frequently. The latent airflow of an engine driven fan will usually keep most conventional cooling systems operating at the thermostat where-as electric fan vehicles will drift up and down as the fans turn off and on.

Most any perception of "high coolant temps" or "hot running" is due to the electric fan cooling system.....not the Northstar engine characteristics.

JohnnyO
05-28-04, 12:59 PM
:coolgleam Pros: great performance and fuel economy. Cons: May burn and/or leak oil, a lot.