: Orange Peel

dciliberti
04-10-08, 10:35 AM
Anyone else have Orange peel in their clear coat? I looked at my 2007 and it's really bad. Could this be something I have the dealer address under warranty?

GM-4-LIFE
04-10-08, 11:31 AM
Anyone else have Orange peel in their clear coat? I looked at my 2007 and it's really bad. Could this be something I have the dealer address under warranty?

All GM vehicles has that orange peel effect. It's normal. Only way to get rid of it is to have the entire car repainted by a body shop that does expensive high end paint jobs. Good luck getting the dealer to warranty this. They will say it's normal.

SG

dciliberti
04-10-08, 11:44 AM
I know orange peel is common in factory paint. They don't have the time to sand and polish the clear with superfine sandpaper and then buff to even the ridges and valleys in the clear coat. BUT, I've had pontiacs and GMC's with a better finish coat that my Escalade.

hcvone
04-10-08, 12:44 PM
All cars finishes are getting worse, had a 430 Ferrari here this morning, and it even has a slight amount of peel, not much but had it in my garage, I have lights that will almost give you a tan ;) , but GM is the worse by far, and some of the GM trucks I see are so bad that the finish is rough, and that is after claying :( GM offered to repaint my newest Escalade because I showed the area rep how bad it is. I have wheeled my trucks several times and that has helped slightly, but there is no way I am going to spend hundreds of hours or pay someone to wet sand the truck, hopefully my Ford will have better paint. ;) I did wet sand my 2000 convertible Vette, it did look a million times better, and that took two of us over 45 hours.

nicolaasdb
04-11-08, 03:20 AM
my x5 had it so bad that I thought it was a mistake...called the dealer who told me that it was completely normal....the esc has it bu to a much lesser degree (but maybe I didn't notice because of all the chrome!!LOL)

TSS
04-13-08, 01:54 PM
All depends on the color as to how much you notice it. On my Quicksilver, barely noticeable. I have seen black ones that are very bad. I am sure they all have the same peel, just how much it stands out depends on the color. Not really a warrantee item.

1QUICKV
04-16-08, 12:42 AM
You don't need to get the car re-painted! Just wet sanded!! A little orange peel is nice.