: Pink sky.

Night Wolf
04-10-08, 09:18 AM
So this morning at work I saw something thru the slightly open hanger doors.. caught my eye. Went outside for several minutes to enjoy. Every now and then we'll see something like this, pink in the morning, or an almost Mars-like orange in the evening, either way to me it's flat out awesome to see such an awesome picture painted in the sky. I only had my cell-phone with me, which dosen't take really good pictures as you can tell, but still neat to have none the less. Anyway, the colors were much more vivid in person if that means anything... still tho... pretty amazing the beautiful things in our everyday lives we so often take for granted or overlook thru the midst of everything.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/misc/cid_194.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/misc/cid_701.jpg

Submariner409
04-10-08, 10:48 AM
What the hell, Night Wolf..........you fly. Tell 'em what the sky looks like at midnight halfway out to Bermuda. Very very few Americans have ever seen a real night sky.

BTW.......it is nice to stop and smell the roses once in a while, isn't it ?

Try this for grins..... http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg

The Tony Show
04-10-08, 10:50 AM
Great post. :thumbsup:

Florian
04-10-08, 10:53 AM
red skies at night, sailors delight
red skies at morning, sailors take warning.....

youre gonna get some weather soon.

F

Submariner409
04-10-08, 11:11 AM
Red over white, fishing at night
White over red, pilot ahead
Red over red, the captain is dead.

Mare's tails and mackerel scales
Make tall ships carry small sails.......

When in the Northern hemisphere, facing the prevailing wind, the center of high pressure is to your right and somewhat behind you, while the center of low pressure is to your left and somewhat in front of you. (Buys Ballot's Law)

dkozloski
04-10-08, 11:32 AM
There is no other maritime reference quite like Knight's "Modern Seamanship".

Port wine is red.
Red right returning.
And the always favorite. Ducks can make vertical turns.

RunningOnEMT
04-10-08, 11:58 AM
ducks make vertical turns?

Florian
04-10-08, 12:10 PM
There is no other maritime reference quite like Knight's "Modern Seamanship".

A great guide...but a huge book. It sits on my coffee table.

F

dkozloski
04-10-08, 01:30 PM
ducks make vertical turns?
Actually it's, "can ducks make vertical turns" is a mnemonic for figuring a navigational course. Similar is, "can dead men vote twice".

dkozloski
04-10-08, 01:34 PM
Suzy
Can
Tell

Oscar
Has

A
Hard

On
always!
Is useful in trigonometry.

dkozloski
04-10-08, 01:36 PM
Bad boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly. Get some now. A jingle for the electronic tech.

ELI the ICE man as well.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-10-08, 02:23 PM
I envy you and your warm weather and pink skies.

We're supposed to get another 6-10 inches of wet, heavy snow tonight through tomorrow. :anger:

Jesda
04-10-08, 02:27 PM
God spilled his Pepto!

Submariner409
04-10-08, 02:50 PM
dkoz, I'm trying to dredge another mnemonic for resistor codes out of my sawdust gray matter, but post #11 is still good.

Florian
04-10-08, 03:06 PM
GUMP for light aircraft
Gas (switched to fullest tank)
Undercarriage (down and locked 3 greens)
Mixture (rich)
Props (full forward)

also TTTTT for holding pattern,

Twist (OBS Ring)
Turn (begin your turn)
Time (Start your stopwatch- 1 minute outbound)
Throttle (reduce to manuevering speed)
Talk (let approach/tower know when youre passing point inbound)

F

firstimecaddi
04-10-08, 04:14 PM
where are there no or little lights for Africa in that NASA photo.

LS1Mike
04-10-08, 04:23 PM
Good stuff guys.

I tell you seeing the night sky from the bridge is the middle of the Pacific is AMAZING, no unatural light to spoil the view.

Night Wolf
04-11-08, 05:04 AM
I'll have to keep my camera with me to get some really nice pictures... tho there is maybe a 10min window, if that? It quickly changes back. Plus, it's nice at work since there is a wide open area, nothing to spoil the scene in the background.

As for weather.... Of course my "weekend" is Sun, Mon, Tues, so I get the coldest days of the bunch high 60's low 30's.... then the rest of the time its high 70's/80's, low 50's.... I've never quite seen weather change from being 85 and sunny one day to 45 and overcast the next like Georgia. Ah well, talking to friends back in NY they say it's 40's and raining all the time.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USGA0346?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

I learned alot of those little jingles first then getting my boaters license, then when getting my pilots license.

That NASA Earth map is quite awesome, are those actual city lights, just population density, or what?

CadillacGurl
04-11-08, 10:41 AM
Those are two beautiful pictures. In Chicago at night the sky is always this dark orange (I believe due to the city lights). I'll have to take some pictures tonight. :)

trukk
04-11-08, 12:41 PM
Those pics are just missing a Rainbow, and a Unicorn. I was going to say a care bear too, but that would just be crazy talk.

-Chris

dkozloski
04-11-08, 02:15 PM
Those pics are just missing a Rainbow, and a Unicorn. I was going to say a care bear too, but that would just be crazy talk.

-Chris
Everytime I see your user name I think of the WWII Japanese naval base.

trukk
04-11-08, 02:36 PM
Everytime I see your user name I think of the WWII Japanese naval base.

Don't make me get all Tojo on your ass Binky Bear.

:hide:

-Chris

dkozloski
04-11-08, 03:31 PM
Tojo tried to commit suicide after WWII by shooting himself in the chest but missed. After the shot he made an apology to the news media for taking so long to die. He survived the botched attempt and later had his neck stretched with a rope. Not too good of a resume for somebody chosen to be an example of a warrior.

Red_October_7000
04-11-08, 04:01 PM
Bad boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly. Get some now. A jingle for the electronic tech.

ELI the ICE man as well.

...! In WWII My Grand-Uncle was a radio tech... in his day it was "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls". Naturally this is how my dad learned it and how I in turn learned it... So this new one is new to me.

Coma
04-11-08, 04:09 PM
May I please have Violet's phone number?

C&C
04-11-08, 04:48 PM
Just to get back on track: (if sunrises and sunsets didn't happen once a day, most people would be in awe when they finally saw one). Stop, once and a while, a take time to appreciate.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/cdgrenci/Image0262.jpg

Sinister Angel
04-11-08, 06:06 PM
Bloody hell, I need to get back into the air again. It's been since June. Speaking of which, I need to reup my medical in June.

Benzilla
04-15-08, 02:46 AM
Great pics, I feel the same way lately. So many people get caught up so much in daily activities they cease to notice the exquisite world we're living in. The other day I was coming home in the '89, passing a boat ramp overlooking a local lake with a wide western view. It looked so great I had to turn around. I just sat there for about a half hour, watching the sun set, feeling the spring breeze, listening to the waves. Kinda makes you realise why they say the best things in life are free, ya know?

Ben

eldorado99
04-15-08, 02:51 AM
Kinda makes you realise why they say the best things in life are free, ya know?

Ben

But you can give them to the birds and the bees, I want money. ;)

No I agree, sometimes just taking a step back and enjoying the sunset and a view can be very relaxing.