: New PCM flashed and doesn't work

CAutoC3
04-10-08, 12:07 AM
I just had a new PCM for a 98 STS flashed and when installed it comes up with a security theft prevention message and will not start... was it flashed wrong and can it be re-flashed??? Thank You!

ewill3rd
04-10-08, 06:39 AM
No it wasn't flashed wrong, you just need to do the VTD (vehicle theft deterrent) relearn procedure to set the password for the theft system into the new PCM.
There are a couple of methods, one of them is a "flash" method.
You'd need a Tech 2 and a Techline PC for that.
I think someone else might be able to chime in with the manual procedure.

CAutoC3
04-10-08, 11:16 AM
I found this... does this look like the correct procedure?

Security Relearn for Vehicle Theft Deterrent
Thursday, 24 January 2008
Security Relearn Procedure Steps for Vehicles with Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD)

1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'On/Accessory' Position. (Do NOT turn the key to the 'off' position.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit in the 'On/Accessory' Position for NO LESS then 15 minutes.
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for NO LESS then 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 through #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th attempt, car should start.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 45 minutes to complete.

CAutoC3
04-10-08, 08:05 PM
No it wasn't flashed wrong, you just need to do the VTD (vehicle theft deterrent) relearn procedure to set the password for the theft system into the new PCM.
There are a couple of methods, one of them is a "flash" method.
You'd need a Tech 2 and a Techline PC for that.
I think someone else might be able to chime in with the manual procedure.

Thank You your information was a huge help!