: HID capable Black headlight housings

jwxspoon
04-09-08, 09:32 PM
I've seen some aftermarket headlight housings that are darker than stock - example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-05-CADILAC-ESCALADE-BLACK-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHT-04_W0QQitemZ290220268509QQcmdZViewItem

The ones on ebay, however are not compatible with the HID lights. Is there a set out there that is?

I have an 04 Escalade.

jw

Rolex
04-11-08, 12:25 AM
What prohibits those from being "compatible" with xenon lamps? They look like a reflector type housing which IMO is ideal for HID lamps. I wonder if they won't take the heat from HIDs? :hmm:

eta: I like them. IMO they'd look nice on a black Lade.

250motorsportz
04-12-08, 12:11 AM
I bought a pair of non-HID headlights about a year back, and tryed to install them but they wont work with a HID equipped escalade. The actual low beam HID bulb wont sit in the hole properly(very loosely) and the headlights dont have the hole for the ballast wire to run through. I'm sure you could modify them to make them work but after all the time you spend it might just be better to black your stock HID headlights out. If you're scared that you'll mess them up, then buy the blacked out ones and modify them(if you can!)

ZaC851
04-12-08, 02:33 AM
So my question is this. I'm going to buy a HID kit for my 02 lade which 02 was obviously a year that were not HID. How does regular non HID 2002 lade headlights work when you buy a aftermarket kit. Would buying these non hid lights essentially be the same thing as stock 02 lights?

Rolex
04-12-08, 09:50 AM
So my question is this. I'm going to buy a HID kit for my 02 lade which 02 was obviously a year that were not HID. How does regular non HID 2002 lade headlights work when you buy a aftermarket kit. Would buying these non hid lights essentially be the same thing as stock 02 lights?

I imagine that's the case. The low beams are probably 9005 and high beams are probably 9006. You could purchase an after market HID plug-n-play retrofit kit to fit a 9005 and it would (most likely) have a factory fit. The retro fit plug-n-play kits are designed to fit into the factory housings.

The high beams are a non issue. I don't think HID is appropriate for high beams anyway because of their frequent on and off use.

250motorsportz
04-12-08, 04:06 PM
if you bought these headlights off ebay(black ones) they would be IDENTICAL setup to your stock non HID headlights thus allowing you to install an aftermarket HID kit. That was my other option when I purchased my non-hid headlights, but I didnt want to spend another $200+ when I already had stock HID's so I left my headlights stock.

~take it to the clasifieds~ Rolex