: URGENT! Free Magnaflow Exhaust Must deal with tommorrow! Grand Rapids MI

natelabo
04-09-08, 05:24 PM
Okay heres the deal my car was in an accident... major accident!! It's totaled... they aren't going to give me anything extra for the exhaust but if i put the stock on they said I can keep the magnaflow. Its sitting at the body shop so if you have a stock one and want to trade out and pay the body shop to do the swap or you feel like removing it and putting your stock back on it its yours... Post here and I will reply immediately I got it this way so I am trying to return the favor to the forum :) Must happen tommorrow because insurance company is picking up on Friday! hope someone gets it!

trukk
04-09-08, 05:49 PM
Okay heres the deal my car was in an accident... major accident!! It's totaled... they aren't going to give me anything extra for the exhaust but if i put the stock on they said I can keep the magnaflow. Its sitting at the body shop so if you have a stock one and want to trade out and pay the body shop to do the swap or you feel like removing it and putting your stock back on it its yours... Post here and I will reply immediately I got it this way so I am trying to return the favor to the forum :) Must happen tommorrow because insurance company is picking up on Friday! hope someone gets it!

Nice offer. :thumbsup:

Details on the accident? I sure hope everyone was OK.

-Chris

JD03Cobra
04-09-08, 08:56 PM
Any idea what time the body shop is open till?

PM Sent!

natelabo
04-10-08, 03:11 AM
Open till 5:00PM I am going to be over there in the morning about 8:00 I don't know how this will play out... But send me an email at n/a/t/h/a/n/l/a/b/o/z/z/e/t/t/a@asap-supply.com remove the "/"... I HOPE YOU GET IT! It is at Hansen Collision on Alpine Avenue... you can find the address at hansencollision.com

dieselp
04-10-08, 09:14 AM
That's very cool to give back. Wish i could use it. but no way i can get there today. Hope every one was ok and now the car search begin's

natelabo
04-10-08, 12:29 PM
hey JD i just noticed you have an 06 V this one is for the 04-05 :( anyone else? Basically time is probably could work something for tommorrow morning at 9:00...

JD03Cobra
04-10-08, 12:47 PM
hey JD i just noticed you have an 06 V this one is for the 04-05 :( anyone else? Basically time is probably could work something for tommorrow morning at 9:00...

It still bolts right up! Unfortunately I'm too busy at work today and can't get over to your area in such short notice. I appreciate the offer.

natelabo
04-10-08, 05:04 PM
Gone... Congratulations Mike! :)

JimmyMack
04-10-08, 07:49 PM
Wow, is the Nate who had my old Magneflow exhaust? You had another accident? Man, you are having bad luck. Glad you're OK. I guess that Magnaflow is going to yet another happy owner.

natelabo
04-10-08, 09:16 PM
Yes it is... :) Thanks again I had to pass along the favor...

mdoor
04-10-08, 10:11 PM
Nate,

Thanks again for the opportunity - I have my stock exhaust sticking out of the pickup and will see you at 9:00
tomorrow!

Mike

P.S. To the rest of the group, it's an honor to be here and I have been driving my 2006 CTS V for about 6 weeks now. It's great to look forward to the drive every morning!!

If anyone remembers a silver V on eBay last August with a clean title and a hockey-sticked rear clip, that would be my ride now. With a little luck and a lot of careful attention to detail, it is possible to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again..

bossplayer
04-11-08, 08:32 AM
Nate,

Thanks again for the opportunity - I have my stock exhaust sticking out of the pickup and will see you at 9:00
tomorrow!

Mike

P.S. To the rest of the group, it's an honor to be here and I have been driving my 2006 CTS V for about 6 weeks now. It's great to look forward to the drive every morning!!

If anyone remembers a silver V on eBay last August with a clean title and a hockey-sticked rear clip, that would be my ride now. With a little luck and a lot of careful attention to detail, it is possible to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again..

Uh, great first post..... :suspect:

Does your post mean you bought a car last August and you have been having it worked on ever since? Were you a lurker? Just trying to translate the post.

rand49er
04-11-08, 12:28 PM
... You had another accident? ...Gerald Ford was from GR. :rolleyes:

(j/k Sorry 'bout the accident ... I'd be sick.)

UnsafeAtAnySpd
04-11-08, 01:02 PM
Can't you buy the car back?

mdoor
04-11-08, 01:37 PM
Uh, great first post..... :suspect:

Does your post mean you bought a car last August and you have been having it worked on ever since? Were you a lurker? Just trying to translate the post.

Nope - I fixed the car and left it in the barn until the Michigan glaciers went away. I didn't need the car immediately, and it made no sense to drive it until spring.

It's kinda hard to join the discussion when you aren't driving the car.

What kind of first post would you like to see - (okay, third post..)?

bossplayer
04-11-08, 01:54 PM
Nah, that's cool. What all did you have to do to the car to fix it?

Understanding the glacier junk!!!

This was yesterday!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Random/weather%20and%20house/DSC00590.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Random/weather%20and%20house/DSC00589.jpg

mdoor
04-12-08, 01:38 PM
Ugh! We have two days of this junk and then it's supposed to warm up (hopefully for about 6 or 7 months).

As for my V, the rear clip was shifted to the right about an inch, it was twisted clockwise (looking from the rear) a little, and it was hockey sticked a little. Oh yeah - the underside was a mess. The guy that did this hit a curb during a burn-out or a power slide really hard. He managed all this without scratching the paint!! So, with a clean title it looked like a good candidate for some rebuild action. Especially with just over 10k on the clock and a price of $23500. My frame shop guys (I have rebuilt about 8 cars of various makes by now), estimated about $800 worth of work, which sounded great. By the time they were done, it was two solid weeks on the rack and about $2300 in work!

None of us knew about the incredibly stiff frame on these things. They needed 40,000lbs of pneumatic rams in an "X" acrossed the rear pass through area to just barely get it to move. Thankfully, it did.

So, at the same time an entire rear suspension assembly came up on ebay from another 2006 V with 13k on the clock - perfect!

So, I dropped the entire rear suspension (it was also about an inch narrower that it started out) with basically just 4 bolts, and popped in the replacement. I parted out the original stuff on ebay and broke even on the rear susp. parts.

Another $995 to pop out the otherwise undisturbed sheet metal and I had it on the road..or so I thought....

So here's the rest of the story:

I bring the car to the tire shop to have the wheels checked and balanced at lunchtime- it's the first day I drive the car to work.
The tire shop says the front left is bent, and won't balance. This makes sense, left side of the car and all. Apparently the guy lightly tagged the front end too. So I have them put the wheel on the rear left until I can have it repaired or get a replacement. I run back to work and finish the day. My buddy in another department has a 2005 V, so we go in the parking lot at 5:05 to check out the car. He says "lay some rubber", so I comply. Only when I nail the throttle, I am suddenly trying to regain control of a wild snarling beast with a steering wheel and brakes that are doing their own thing! I really don't remember (I was busy at the time!) what the accelerator pedal was up to, but there was lots of rubber being vaporized.. until I clock the exact rear corner of the car on another curb - exactly the same damage I just repaired..and taking out the one bent wheel on the car completely.

My buddy comes running down the road and says, "dude - what are you doing? Ever heard of traction control? - you know, that grey screen that says traction control engaged?"

I had no idea what he was talking about, and had never seen that screen..and I had no traction control.

The damage I did was nothing compared to the original owner - but the pride took a big hit. A realignment, rear bearing, new wheel, and a rear control bar pretty much did the trick.

THEN I put a Tscan on the car and saw some yaw control failures. At the same time, I saw an option to "reset to factory defaults?" as an
option on the traction control menu. I selected yes, and all the warning lights came on, and went out again. hmmmm..

So I hop in the car and take it out - guess what? Now I have "traction control engaged". The rest of the story is that a dealership in WI had swapped out the steering position sensor at around 9k miles, which is a principle part of the traction control system.

I bet they never reset the system.

The original owner schmucked the car at about 10k miles, and I did it again almost immediately after putting it back on the road.

Amazingly, this car is now tight and quiet, has just had all GM warranty work completed, and aligns perfectly.

It would appear that all of the bugs are out of the thing. I will say that it feels right, looks right, and sounds right at this point.

It has about 14,500 on it now.

How's that for a story??

I do have pics, but they are at work.

Also, back to Nate's 2005, I have pics of it if anyone is interested, and I know it will be rebuildable.

I also know where it will be, and what they paid for it if someone is really interested is a good rebuilder..

It has not been listed on their website yet (partsbyweller.com)

you can email me at m/d/o/o/r/@/g/e/n/t/e/x/./c/o/m for the details. (remove the /)

natelabo
04-13-08, 10:57 PM
Hey Mike how you liking the exhaust? Hey send me an email with those pics... I forgot my camera when I forgot to pick up my stuff... also I would like to know how much Weller paid for it... Did you talk to them or Hansen? And if anybody is going to rebuild it I have the complete repair estimate from Hansen to give you a better idea of the work needed. (Not cheap)

mdoor
04-14-08, 11:56 PM
Hey Nate,

The Hansen guys told me that Weller paid $14k for the car.

I called Weller today to see if they would part it out or list it as a repairable.

The guy I talked to said it could take a month to get through the insurance company red tape and have the car in inventory..I am not sure if I believe that.

If they are parting it out, maybe I can get a deal on the winter wheels..we'll see.

I assume by now that you have all 4 photos? I had to email them separately so they didn't bounce from your inbox.

Mike[/I]