: What's Your Preferred Wireless Network Equipment?

AMGoff
04-09-08, 02:49 PM
Jim's (submariner) recent post about radio interference got me thinking... Which brand of wireless network equipment do you guys all use?

I've had tremendous luck with Motorolas offerings... they're simple to set up and I've never had one die on me. D-Links seem to work well, but I've found their build quality to be paltry.. I've had two routers where the wireless just crapped out all together, even though the wired ports would still work. I've also had decent luck with Apple's Airport... but I wouldn't actually go out and buy one simply because they're too expensive for what you get. And I won't even go near Linksys... I've never had good luck with them and I know several others who've had similar experiences.

So what do you all use and what are your feelings on it?

EcSTSatic
04-09-08, 03:06 PM
LinkSys. My router, access point, NICs have worked flawlessly for years.

Playdrv4me
04-09-08, 04:23 PM
Linksys was good prior to it's acquisition by Cisco Systems. My last Linksys stopped sending network traffic one day and never did again. It worked fine as a wired router, but never again wirelessly.

I had a Microsoft that is still performing at my friend's house to this day better than the fancy Linksys ever did.

On that note, I use Netgear and D-Link equipment mostly.

Jesda
04-09-08, 04:26 PM
I've had nightmarish issues with Linksys, but that was a couple years ago. I gave them another try in 2006 but the router and my Mac refused to play ball.

My dad loves his Microsoft router, which has been flawless. I use Netgear because I like the configuration software.

eldorado99
04-09-08, 04:38 PM
I run around between my computers with a coin and ask them if they will give me the information they want to send out. Sometimes they yell at me and I get scared...

jey
04-09-08, 05:01 PM
I have been using a 7-year-old Linksys wireless router up until yesterday. I've quit using Linksys since those days (7 years ago) because I have seen a lot of routers go out - higher frequency than the other brands it seems, though they do honor their warranty and send replacements, but it's un-needed hassle.

Yesterday AT&T installed U-verse at our house and it came with this enormous box that has the modem, 4-port router, wireless, and phone system all in one. So far the wireless works pretty well.

hueterm
04-09-08, 05:05 PM
Microsoft -- as said earlier -- mine has been totally bulletproof.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-09-08, 05:06 PM
I dunno about you guys, but I looooove my DSL.

http://www.postroadrecreationcenter.com/bill%20slowsky.jpg

gary88
04-09-08, 05:18 PM
I have a linksys router at home and it's been working great for 4+ years. I don't know what they have here at school, but it completely blows, therefore I use a wired connection.

AMGoff
04-09-08, 05:47 PM
It seems Linksys is definitely one of those love it or hate it manufacturers... Needless to say, I'm always intrigued when someone has a glowing review of them, because I gave them more than a fair chance and always came up completely disappointed.

As far as Chad's DSL comment goes though... I don't know if you're just being sarcastic, but I like my DSL... it provides more than enough bandwidth for a reasonable price. The only time I'll ever upgrade to something faster is when FIOS becomes available in these parts - which they keep saying will be sometime this year... but I'm skeptical of that. All I know is that under no circumstance will I give my money to those robber-barons over at Comcast!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-09-08, 05:52 PM
It wasn't totally sarcasm. I just wanted a reason for a Slowsky tie-in.

At home, I think we're on a Linksys, which for my computer is fine, but my mom's laptop is constantly having problems staying connected, as is our wireless printer. Not sure if it's the router's fault, but it was much easier with the printer connected directly to the computer.

Jesda
04-09-08, 05:57 PM
DSL is reliable but slow... except for AT&T, which is both slow AND unreliable.

Charter Cable has been worse than AT&T, however, but blazing fast.

Submariner409
04-09-08, 06:02 PM
As I posted down in my OP on RFI, earlier this afternoon a Radio Shack bottom-line phone/answering machine solved my particular problem with the 2.4 gH interference which shut down my laptop local wireless.

My Linksys router has been fine for a year and a half, and one of their earlier wireless access points was good before that.

(and, as I also posted, when all else fails, read the directions........)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-09-08, 06:02 PM
What's so bad about Comcast? Personally, I've had nothing but luck with them, but I've heard bad things about them.

Kev
04-09-08, 06:16 PM
Mine is an older Linksys WRT54GS wireless router which has worked trouble free from the moment it was placed into service. I've also used a Belkin because it was inexpensive and have had some experience with a few others but the Linksys has performed very well and has had the most secure firewall solution of all that I've tried.

Playdrv4me
04-09-08, 06:46 PM
I have been using a 7-year-old Linksys wireless router up until yesterday. I've quit using Linksys since those days (7 years ago) because I have seen a lot of routers go out - higher frequency than the other brands it seems, though they do honor their warranty and send replacements, but it's un-needed hassle.

Yesterday AT&T installed U-verse at our house and it came with this enormous box that has the modem, 4-port router, wireless, and phone system all in one. So far the wireless works pretty well.

My ex-gf had something similar to that when they put FIOS in her house. I have not seen ACTIONTEC branded ANYTHING in AGES, but that multibox Verizon left was an Actiontec.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
04-09-08, 08:17 PM
I used to use Netgear and while they had a great interface 3 of them died on me over a period of about 4 years...

I now use 2.
First off I use the Thompson Speedtouch my ISP provided (I have to to get the 24Mbps service as other 24Mbps routers only give 8 when used with my ISP).
It's been no problem although the interface isn't great.
I use it as my actual router and I use its wireless function to provide G (54Mbps) speed access to my iPhone and other stuff.
My broadband can pretty much saturate this connection (real world speed after packet overhead etc is actually about half of the quoted wireless speeds)

I also have an Apple Airport Extreme N hooked up to it to give 5GHz wideband access to my MacBook Pro and AppleTV.

Although I gain nothing in terms of net access for those 2 items as the G wireless just about copes, I do get faster access across my home network (eg to my home server and desktop Mac which has a wired 1Gbps connection to the airport box).

EcSTSatic
04-09-08, 09:09 PM
I have LinkSys wireless routers set up as repeaters for internet coverage at our sailing club. Members can surf from their boats at the docks. Some guys stay out and work from the their cabins. Ahhhh sailing....

Playdrv4me
04-09-08, 11:11 PM
I have LinkSys wireless routers set up as repeaters for internet coverage at our sailing club. Members can surf from their boats at the docks. Some guys stay out and work from the their cabins. Ahhhh sailing....

:wtf: Where the hell do you sail near Wichita, Cheney lake?

eldorado99
04-10-08, 12:15 AM
Nobody got my nerdy joke... :(

GizmoQ
04-10-08, 12:43 AM
I have an older Linksys that I hacked the firmware, bumped up the wireless power to 250mw, and drive a 24db directional and a 12db omni antennas. My wireless coverage is equivalent to 5-7 sq miles so I can go sit out in the park a mile away and still be connected to my home network/DSL.

I feel ya on the newer (v3 and above I believe) DSL routers cause they changed the firmware replacing Linux and used cheaper components. All new Linksys routers are mediocre at best.

In my experience, Belkin is the least expensive, D-Link is best value, the new DSL modems with built-in wireless is idiot-proof and has decent power (but is a PITA to attach to an XBOX or other game console), Motorolas and NetGear are junk, and AirPort needs to get off their high horse and make something that at least approaches the standards set by IEEE (they think Apple makes them "special").

Keep in mind I only install/repair/maintain these things for gas money to travel to the next meet ;)

"G$"
04-10-08, 08:29 AM
I have an older Linksys that I hacked the firmware, bumped up the wireless power to 250mw, and drive a 24db directional and a 12db omni antennas. My wireless coverage is equivalent to 5-7 sq miles so I can go sit out in the park a mile away and still be connected to my home network/DSL.

I feel ya on the newer (v3 and above I believe) DSL routers cause they changed the firmware replacing Linux and used cheaper components. All new Linksys routers are mediocre at best.

In my experience, Belkin is the least expensive, D-Link is best value, the new DSL modems with built-in wireless is idiot-proof and has decent power (but is a PITA to attach to an XBOX or other game console), Motorolas and NetGear are junk, and AirPort needs to get off their high horse and make something that at least approaches the standards set by IEEE (they think Apple makes them "special").

Keep in mind I only install/repair/maintain these things for gas money to travel to the next meet ;)

maybe someone can help me with my wireless problems. I have Comcast Cable, a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard modem, and a Linksys wireless router supplied to me by Vonage for my phoneline. It says Linksys/Cisco wireless broadband VOIP on it. I recently got a repeater (Linksys Wireless-G range expander) because I have problems with internet in other areas of my house. So my problem is that the wireless works at my desk which is within 10 feet of the wireless and does not work at the far end of the house and randomly, once in a while works upstairs. It's pathetic! The repeater hasn't done anything.

I'm starting to think that getting rid of the Linksys router might be the solution or I could have Vonage replace it.

hmmm....what to do...

jey
04-10-08, 04:33 PM
If you replace your base Linksys wireless router with one of the newer advanced wireless routers with the Draft-N, MIMO, or Wireless-N technologies, you can boost your wireless range out of the box. There are a whole lot of more technical things you can do to boost your wireless range, but I've seen significant improvements with some of the latest out of the box solutions.

EcSTSatic
04-10-08, 09:06 PM
:wtf: Where the hell do you sail near Wichita, Cheney lake?

You betcha. Have you been there?
http://ninnescah.org/nsaoval3.gif (http://ninnescah.org/)

GizmoQ
04-11-08, 12:30 PM
maybe someone can help me with my wireless problems. I have Comcast Cable, a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard modem, and a Linksys wireless router supplied to me by Vonage for my phoneline. It says Linksys/Cisco wireless broadband VOIP on it. I recently got a repeater (Linksys Wireless-G range expander) because I have problems with internet in other areas of my house. So my problem is that the wireless works at my desk which is within 10 feet of the wireless and does not work at the far end of the house and randomly, once in a while works upstairs. It's pathetic! The repeater hasn't done anything.

I'm starting to think that getting rid of the Linksys router might be the solution or I could have Vonage replace it.

hmmm....what to do...

The easiest thing to do is buy a couple 8db antennas (these are appx 22" long, $25 ea), buy the antenna pigtail cables long enough to mount them somewhere high and out of sight (I mounted mine in the attic). Then you can throw that POS repeater in the trash. You could step up to 12db but the price and size goes up exponentially - 6ft & $110.

Another trick that helps is set the linksys for diversity antennas and turn one vertical and the other horizontal. This will help with the upstairs/downstairs range. As a last resort, do like I did - go with one omnidirectional and one directional antenna for the longest throw. With proper placement and tuning the omni should handle the whole house and the directional will punch thru to your trouble spot.