: Bye Bye "Rivie"

hueterm
04-08-08, 10:26 PM
Well...exclusively Cadillac as of Sunday. Never took pics of her until right before she was driven away. One of these days I'll put other pics up.

I wish my Eldo was going to have as nice of an XM solution...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 10:32 PM
What a shame to see her go. One of Buick's best cars since the early '70s.

hueterm
04-08-08, 10:35 PM
I will get to see her often, though...my Mom and Dad bought her :-)

caddycruiser
04-08-08, 11:02 PM
Great cars--glad it didn't go far.

The past week or so, I've been looking into one of these again. Not sure as "what", whether a daily driver, etc., but have always been a fan of the beautiful/distinctive looks, 3.8L, great interior, and that '95+ GM G-body platform that always was one of the most impressively stiff, solid, and refined ever to still come out of GM.

hueterm
04-08-08, 11:25 PM
In MANY ways it's superior to the Eldo -- a G Body Eldo would have been HOT.

caddycruiser
04-09-08, 12:15 AM
In MANY ways it's superior to the Eldo -- a G Body Eldo would have been HOT.

Yes. Platform/solidity and overall driving refinement, I'd say.

Did you ever have any issues with it? The G-body+Buick+3.8L still reigns as one of the best GM large car combos ever, and the Riviera was easily the most distinctive of them all.

I've read quite a bit of stuff, and it really seems like they're as reliable as anything, with next to no common bugs--just keep an eye on supercharger maintenance, the transmission with driving style and age, and...well...not much else?

I've had my eye on a few '97-99s with under 100k. Mainly because it seems like '97+ had all the upgrades they got, including minor transmission touches, and were the newest. I'd love to buy one, but don't know what for...maybe replace the Fleetwood in time to come if the budget really can't stretch for new (probably won't) and I can only really have time/space/etc. for 1 main vehicle. Not sure. And it's one of many "I likes", though actually one of the last ones I had before actually buying the Fleetwood...so I guess it was a #2.

hueterm
04-09-08, 12:53 AM
The main thing I've had to have worked on was the brakes. Turn rotors, replace pads, fix sticking caliper, etc. The gas gauge didn't work. And the climate control had a mind of its own. Sometimes when you wanted to change airflow -- it didn't. I also had a broken wire that kept my high beams from working and had a battery drain that they had to track down.

Minor stuff, really. Nothing major. Nothing drivetrain. However, mine did only have 51K miles.

I'd say that the ETC drives better -- both in terms of handling and definitely power. The Riv's ride is softer, but would probably be similar to a base Eldo. I like the look, materials, style, and seat comfort better in the Eldo (although none of this was bad in the Riv) -- but the Riv just has SO MUCH MORE ROOM.

I'm glad I bought one. I put 13K miles on it in exactly 2 years, but was ready for the Eldo. If I had unlimited space, and I found a black, red, or black cherry w/the burgundy interior -- that had a roof and was in as good of shape as mine -- I'd consider another one.

caddycruiser
04-09-08, 01:00 AM
Good info. And funny you mention it, the one thing I did see when pulling up info was about the fuel gauge bug, in various ads.

If I were to buy one, I think I'd most like a White Diamond, White, Silver-Tan, or Black with Neutral or Gray inside and sunroof. I think. Still, one of many used oddballs I like.

hueterm
04-09-08, 01:08 AM
Yeah, it's about $800 to fix (IIRC), and I just didn't think it was worth it. I just reset the trip odo each time I get gas, go 200 miles, and then fill up.

Never run out that way.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-09-08, 01:29 AM
I drove a '98 Riviera in the winter of '06, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The seats were brilliant, far better IMO than the ones in the '99 ETC I drove shortly before I drove this one. And I do remember the Riviera being more spacious inside, and even though the ETC makes more power, I prefer the torque curve in the Riviera, at least for normal driving.

But the ETC holds the advantage in terms of quality of materials, out right power and acceleration, interior and exterior design, cache.

Oh, here, I found the review I wrote up of the '97 Riviera.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/92668-test-drove-97-riviera.html

Night Wolf
04-09-08, 03:28 AM
:( Good that your parents got it tho.

Has always been a personal favorite.