Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  96Fleetwood 
#1 ·
So I've been driving my '91 Brougham all of this disgusting Winter hoping and praying for enough weather where I could actually keep it at least a little bit clean for a few days. Seems it might have arrived.

Put her through a touchless carwash yesterday and got a crappy wash, but it looks a lot better than it did. So today I'm on my way home from work and I'm cruising down this 3 lane per side road at around 55 km/hr enjoying the sunshine. The window is down, the sounds are cranked and then I see it. A black '59 moves up quick and maintains station behind and beside me at my 5 o'clock.
He could have overtaken, but stayed right there, obviously enjoying the same experience I was.

So there we are.......Diplomat Blue '91 Bro' and this black '59 rolling together. My plate says CADILIKE, his says 1 CADDY.......I wished I could see the sight from the outside.....I bet it looked way c:cool::cool:l.

Martin.

#3 ·
Haha, that sounds awesome.

Yeah, the biggest problem with owning a Cadillac is you never get to see your car being driven from the outside, which is when it always looks it's best, cruising down the road or chugging through the city. Whenever I'm in my car and I see another Brougham, my mind always goes "Man, I wish I had a car like that..."

#4 ·
i know what you mean! theres probably like 3 white broughams around here and whenever they cruise by i always try to get behind them so i can say "wow thats what i look like" its also pretty cool when my best friend has an '87 with a 5.0 who usually cruises behind me.

#5 ·
Cool beans!

Sometimes when I see fellow Caddy owners on the road, we give friendly honks and a wave. So you know you're in good company. And whenever I see another car like mine in a parking lot, I always try to park next to it, so when the owner comes out they'll be like "now that's what I'm talkin' about!" I saw someone do that, and I parked next to them, so 3 Caddies in a row!

Greg

#6 ·
Whenever I see a car like mine, I make a point to give the obligatory honk and wave.

I understand what you're saying about not being able to enjoy looking at your car as it's driving down the road, which is why whenever I drive next to a building with a curtain wall, I always look at the reflection in the glass to see how good the car looks driving. :cool2:

#24 ·
Whenever I see a car like mine, I make a point to give the obligatory honk and wave.

I understand what you're saying about not being able to enjoy looking at your car as it's driving down the road, which is why whenever I drive next to a building with a curtain wall, I always look at the reflection in the glass to see how good the car looks driving. :cool2:
Hmm, whenever I honk and wave in my Roadmaster the old people get mad at me. :p

#10 ·
Cut from the same cloth? Have you ever run into the Cadillac snob? You know, the occasional self important guy driving a late model Cadillac who smugly looks down on our "older" Cadillacs by making some smirky put-down of a remark.

I'm always thrilled to see what other Cadillac might park next to me. Solidarity baby!!!

#26 ·
...Have you ever run into the Cadillac snob? You know, the occasional self important guy driving a late model Cadillac who smugly looks down on our "older" Cadillacs by making some smirky put-down of a remark.

I'm always thrilled to see what other Cadillac might park next to me. Solidarity baby!!!
These "snobs" just don't get it... To me, there is no such thing as an "old" cadillac. They are like wine, each year is a vintage. You might prefer this or that vintage, age be damned.

#12 ·
Haha! yeah! I drove the same piece of road today and some guy in a CTS undertakes everyone in the HOV lane (by himself). Totally let it rip at probably near twice the limit.....idiot. I pulled up behind him at the next lights. Fat lot of good all that burned gas did ya huh?
Looked at all them plastic fantastic bumpers, led tailights an' stuff and had the same thought. Gimme chrome battering rams any day.

Martin.

#13 ·
Ya,i`d feel safer with those chrome bumper battering rams from the past.My generation '95 Sedan Deville even has those hard plastic bumpers---apparently GM was trying to shed weight on vehicles back then also.
When i think back on the days when luxury Cadillacs had all the excess one could desire,500 cubic inch engines,chrome bumpers,2-1/2 ton body weight,easily seat 6 adults, body lengths averaging 221"--230",just to name a few----and now look at what is offered today---it`s almost sad.
I drove my aunts 2003 DHS for the first time yesterday----this generation of luxury Cadillac is much smaller inside and out compared to previous generation Devilles.
I`ll take the Cadillac giants from the past over the present day models any day.
I know i`m out of my forum here, but i like to roam the interesting info on all the forums -----i have a goal of owning a well maintained '95-'96 Fleetwood Brougham someday----plenty of chrome and body weight/length----my type of Cadillac!

#14 ·
I find that the FWD deVilles are the best size for me. Not too small, not too long, not too wide, not too skinny. The 200-210" length is just right for me. Anything longer and it can get to be a bit too much for me.

With that being said, I'd still probably buy a 94-96 FWB over a Northstar STS or ETC, even though they're in the good size range, with much more electronic gizmos, not to mention the performance is much better. The thing that kills me on those Northstar Cads is well.....the Northstar. I just don't trust the damn thing. I would like to try one out sometime though...

#15 ·
If i may ask---why is any Caddy longer than 210" a bit too much for you----turning radius possibly?
I agree with on the FWD Devilles being a good size---if you are referring to the 1994-1999 models.My generation '95 Sedan Deville looks like a shorter version of the '94-'96 FWB.At 225",the '94-'96 FWB`s were 15" longer than the same generation Devilles.

#16 ·
I hate to admit this, but I have seen only THREE other BIG FWBs since I got this one in the spring of 2006!
Where are they hiding?
I saw a black one last month crusing north past my house as I was on the street south of my house turning toward it. I followed it and said to my wife: "So that's what we look like!"
All the while I thought the Fleetwood took up a helluva lot of lane :thumbsup:
The only other one I saw was when we were on those trips for the dog to Tufts Vet hospital in Walpole, MA and I'd stopped at the Mobil station in Wrentham, MA for gas.
As I exited the station, a maroon one went past. No wave or anything, but there it was, going by and it turned left two blocks later.
Anybody on this board in Eastern Mass know who it might be? The driver looked to be in his mid 30s.
But it sure does seem odd that I've only seen TWO.

#17 ·
Down here in Chattanooga, there re plenty of FWB's from the 80's. Most are owned, I'd say, by the type of people who don't have all the money iffin y know what i mean. Mine probably has the best body around here, i'd say. I get compliments all the time. Though my wife is a Caddy fan as well, she rags on me all the time too. Wish there were more/any car shows around here. Anybody else in here from Southeast Tennessee? As a side note, I actually think my RWD FWB has better turn radius than my FWD '89 DeVille had.

#21 ·
Hmm.. not for me. I felt crammed the driver seat of my '90 Brougham, and just get claustrophobic in the '91 Coupe Deville! However, when I sat in the back seat of the Brougham, I could really relax and felt a mile away from the driver seat. Don't even get me started on the backseat of the Coupe. Others say it's huge but I disagree. My favorite part of these RWD Caddies is the back seat (hence my avatar), but I hardly get to ride back there! I'm only 5'10" and 150lbs.

Greg

#22 ·
I thought both the front and the back of my Roadmaster was cramped. As I understand it, the back of the FWB is better, but I think the front is the same.

The Concours is much better.

#23 ·
its so true. one of my favorite pastimes is to roll up next to somebody at a stop light and make sure our noses are even. then i look at where their steering wheel is compared to mine. usually its about 2 feet closer to the front of the car than mine. it makes me smile. sometimes my friend lets me driver her 2 door hatchback geo metro. i get behind the wheel and i'm like "are you kidding me?" everything smaller just feels... weird.

i've always had a passion for big. my first car was a 96 honda accord and MAN did that thing feel small. when my grandpa gave me the caddy i literally spent days just sitting in that car and listening to music. all the girls love it too.

i really dont feel safe in smaller cars. i've seen too many fatalities in my county with them.
thats why i drive

this

this

and this

#25 ·
I was driving around a few weekends ago, and I pulled up next to a car like mine, so I did the obligatory honk and wave, and the man driving it was my technician from the Benz dealer I frequent! LOL! I don't know if he recognized me, but it was sure funny!

#27 ·
I have had the ability to see both my cars going down the road have lent both of them to my mother. I have to say there both good looking going down the road. But watching your brougham going down the road isn't as much fun as driving it. Another pretty sight is when there both are at the dealership basking in the sunlight next to the other caddys. What i'd like to see is a dealership lot full of mint broughams and fleetwoods.

#30 ·
So did he acquiese?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.