: Is car driveable with Blown HG?

mikebee
04-07-08, 05:51 PM
How far and how much can you drive a car with a blown HG? I had overheating problems last summer but ever since I changed the radiator things were fine. That is until now. The car is back to its old tricks using a whole thing of antifreeze every 2-3 weeks, and almost running hot. I drive this car back and forth to work everyday 26 miles away and as long as I keep my runs to 30 minutes or less everything is fine. Also the car was hard to start up the past week and white smoke comes from the tail pipes. Is it possible that the HG was blown and the new radiator was a temporary fix that allowed me to drive the car for an additional 7 or 8 months.
As always any help is greatly appreciated
Mike

chubbyranger
04-07-08, 06:32 PM
Your HGs probably deteriorated over time. Your previous overheating problem may have been a bad radiator and now its the HGs. If its using that much coolant and running hot you are living on borrowed time and run the risk of hydrolocking one or more cylinders eventually, at which point the engine is junk. Fix it or dump it would be my recommendation.

Ranger
04-07-08, 07:11 PM
It will slowly get worse.

Krashed989
04-07-08, 07:19 PM
Running it with the heater blasting 90 degree hot air at you helps keep it from overheating too... <=== How I'm currently making my 85 mile round trip to and from college with a blown gasket. I only saw white smoke once when it was sitting a while and probably had accumulated some coolant in a cylinder. It misfired until it got to operating temp then stopped.

lbwd
04-07-08, 07:28 PM
Dump it and buy a motorcycle. :cool2:

mikebee
04-07-08, 08:00 PM
Ok guys I've heard enough, trade in here i come! I could sell it to one of these young kids out here, someone has allready offered me $4000 cash. The car is a real looker 96 etc cherry red (its a different red than I have seen before maybe its been repainted) with 160,000 miles, but I would feel guilty of that. The Kbb blue book trade in value is $2970 does that sound reasonable? And oh yea I all ready have a bike! 2006 Kawasaki zx-10!

dwight.j.carter
04-07-08, 09:14 PM
I would fix it. Do you not like the car ?

NAFTA
04-07-08, 09:25 PM
I would fix it to, if you know engine work, the gasket will cost $40, it's just gonna be a hell lot of labor. I concur, the zx 10 is a real nice bike, I'd prefer a R6 or a GSX 600 instead, I cant handle a 1000 yet.

CadillacSTS42005
04-07-08, 09:44 PM
yea it is
its kinda like driving a car with a blown front tire though
you can do it, but your on borrowed time...

lbwd
04-08-08, 12:22 AM
Ok guys I've heard enough, trade in here i come! I could sell it to one of these young kids out here, someone has allready offered me $4000 cash. The car is a real looker 96 etc cherry red (its a different red than I have seen before maybe its been repainted) with 160,000 miles, but I would feel guilty of that. The Kbb blue book trade in value is $2970 does that sound reasonable? And oh yea I all ready have a bike! 2006 Kawasaki zx-10!

Sweet! That's a really good looking bike.
My STS is red, it may be the red you mentioned. See the image below.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2wdydk3.jpg

mikebee
04-08-08, 10:09 AM
Yes, I really like the car, however I don't have the time to try and fix it nor the mechanical aptitude. About how much should it cost if I took the car to someone who knows what their are doing? Also I stay in Toledo Ohio anybody know of anyone close by? thanks!

Ranger
04-08-08, 11:26 AM
Plan on about $3000.

dkozloski
04-08-08, 08:08 PM
I drove a 1950 Ford pickup with a blown headgasket in the flathead V8 for months. It finally seized from all the antifreeze in the pan. I had to use an oak fence post and a sledgehammer to get the pistons out of it.

dwight.j.carter
04-08-08, 09:32 PM
cost should be 2-3000 but once it's fixed you will not likely have another problem with the motor until the body is long gone.

Destroyer
04-08-08, 10:22 PM
cost should be 2-3000 but once it's fixed you will not likely have another problem with the motor until the body is long gone.Would you back that statement up with money Dwight?. Will you pay if his head gasket fails after the repair?.

My advice is to trust your gut and get rid of the POS like I did when my '98 Deville blew the gaskets. Its just not worth the time/effort, or money to fix. $3k or so is a lot when you consider the car isn't worth that much. You can take that $3k and buy a better more reliable car or keep dumping money into your car.

dwight.j.carter
04-09-08, 01:38 AM
well judging by it he knows what has been done to the car and if he dumps it he will be starting over. I am just saying if it was mine I would probably have it fixed. If done right it can very well last forever. just check out aj's posts that are stickied and go from there he is very knowledgeable with this issue.

chubbyranger
04-09-08, 06:28 AM
Would you back that statement up with money Dwight?. Will you pay if his head gasket fails after the repair?.

My advice is to trust your gut and get rid of the POS like I did when my '98 Deville blew the gaskets. Its just not worth the time/effort, or money to fix. $3k or so is a lot when you consider the car isn't worth that much. You can take that $3k and buy a better more reliable car or keep dumping money into your car.

As an owner who's in the process of paying that bill I'd be interested to know what "better more reliable car" I'm going to find for my $3K. I'm sure there's some lovely Korean or ricebomb chitbox out there that would look great in my parking spot at work and save a few dinos in gas. But for my $3K I'd rather have a rebuilt N* in a 99 Z-rated STS. It might be time to accept the fact that people make different choices for different reasons; you made yours to go Ford, a few of us tiny-brained loyalists still want our Cadillacs.

Destroyer
04-09-08, 08:00 AM
As an owner who's in the process of paying that bill I'd be interested to know what "better more reliable car" I'm going to find for my $3K. I'm sure there's some lovely Korean or ricebomb chitbox out there that would look great in my parking spot at work and save a few dinos in gas. But for my $3K I'd rather have a rebuilt N* in a 99 Z-rated STS. It might be time to accept the fact that people make different choices for different reasons; you made yours to go Ford, a few of us tiny-brained loyalists still want our Cadillacs.
I accept that fact.

tateos
04-09-08, 01:29 PM
Right - what Chubby Ranger said. mikebee said he really likes the car - that can be the most important thing - more important than the dollars and cents. Now, if he said the car doesn't really suit his purposes and he doesn't really like driving it and he wants something that gets better gas mileage or has higher ground clearance or something, that would be a different story.

krimson_cardnal
04-09-08, 04:07 PM
Owning a Cadillac can turn out an awful lot like owning a boat. If you love it, and I do, you try to fix what can be fixed as cost wise as possible and enjoy the ride. When the well runs dry because you've dug the hole to deep you get another one. Some have better success than others and some bail out and by a boat, or a Cadillac if you already have the boat to start with!!! K_C

dwight.j.carter
04-09-08, 05:20 PM

Amen brother

dwight.j.carter
04-09-08, 05:35 PM
In all actuality the newer STS has come down considerably in price. I saw a 2005 or 2006 with the Northstar and AWD for 20k. Or if you find a 2003 STS I hear those are nearly bulletproof.

lbwd
04-09-08, 06:40 PM
I just got back from spending another $1,300 on mine. Man, I love it. So sexy.

Destroyer
04-09-08, 06:46 PM
Owning a Cadillac can turn out an awful lot like owning a boat. If you love it, and I do, you try to fix what can be fixed as cost wise as possible and enjoy the ride. When the well runs dry because you've dug the hole to deep you get another one. Some have better success than others and some bail out and by a boat, or a Cadillac if you already have the boat to start with!!! K_C
Huh????:cookoo:

krimson_cardnal
04-11-08, 12:03 PM
Cummon destroyer, never owned a boat.............? K_C

Destroyer
04-11-08, 06:22 PM
Cummon destroyer, never owned a boat.............? K_CYeah I have and I've owned several Cadillacs but I'm not sure what the corrolation here is. Are you saying that boat owners and Cadillac owners have something in common because both break down a lot?.

chubbyranger
04-11-08, 07:29 PM
"boat" (noun): commonly referred to as a hole in the water into which you throw money.

"Cadillac" (noun): same idea except it does not float as well.

krimson_cardnal
04-11-08, 07:37 PM
Well Destroyer that's one way to look at it. Because we love them we're compelled to care for them. What most miss going in is the reality of keeping 'er afloat. That's all.

I'm sure there are other car owners who care as much, but owning a Cadillac has pulled me into solving the problems like no other car I've owned. Having this Owner's Site has proven most helpful and saved me a bunch, hence my Supporting Membership. A great group to be part of. K_C

edit: you hit it chubby

Destroyer
04-11-08, 07:38 PM
"Cadillac" (noun): same idea except it does not float as well.Its worth a try!:stirpot:

chubbyranger
04-11-08, 09:24 PM
I went to visit my car yesterday. Body 8' in the air on a lift, motor on the ground with the heads off and leaking oil out the case half seal. Talked to the guy working on it for a few minutes - he showed me the problems. Walked out knowing two things: I'm going to have a big bill and I can't wait to get my car back. But the part that iced it for me was when the tech working on it said: "I know why you're fixing it and I would too."

RickyHenry
04-12-08, 11:23 PM

If you do feel like trading your caddy in for a boat, talk to me, i sell boats and will gladly consider your caddy as a trade. :)

krimson_cardnal
04-13-08, 03:56 AM
Where you at - ya never know! LOL I've got friends hanging on to the coast of Florida who split off to the careeb when they get the urge. Not quite ready to hang up my ride but like I said, you just never know. It's always good to know people. K_C

Destroyer
04-13-08, 10:47 PM
I went to visit my car yesterday. Body 8' in the air on a lift, motor on the ground with the heads off and leaking oil out the case half seal. Talked to the guy working on it for a few minutes - he showed me the problems. Walked out knowing two things: I'm going to have a big bill and I can't wait to get my car back. But the part that iced it for me was when the tech working on it said: "I know why you're fixing it and I would too."He may have been referring to a drug problem he has.........................:histeric:

stoveguyy
04-17-08, 02:23 PM
my son has a 2k 4x4 pickup with 100k miles. he found someone who happens to have a 2003 STS with 100k miles. my son used to drive my STS a lot and i think he is tired of his 4X4. I think the HG issue is fairly rare on 2003 models so he is thinking hard about doing the swap.

tateos
04-17-08, 03:44 PM
I would consider a 2000 or newer car with N*, but not one before that unless the head gasket repairs had already been made

Thomas Carey
04-20-08, 11:10 AM
Well I know I would replace it myself. But if you are not able to do it yourself. I think you should sell it. Especially with gas prices being so high now.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey