: i almost bought the farm today :eek:

urbanski
04-07-08, 12:24 PM
http://www.ksat.com/weather/15811008/detail.html

According to USGS's Web site, the quake struck 45 miles southeast of San Antonio in Falls City around 4:51 a.m.

Residents from as far south as Kenedy and as far north as the north side of San Antonio reported feeling the earthquake, USGS said.

i was awake but didnt feel it :( but i ALMOST DIED apparently...

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/254/15811422240x180nk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

EcSTSatic
04-07-08, 12:45 PM
Quakes and snow are both pretty rare down there. The wife is headed that way next month for a conference.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 01:53 PM
I haven't ever heard that term...must be a southern thing.

Jesda
04-07-08, 02:10 PM
Can we hope for a barn party?

dkozloski
04-07-08, 02:11 PM
Alaska has 5000-6000 earthquakes per year. http://seagrant.uaf.edu/features/earthquake/facts1.html

Do a Google on "Lituya Bay Event" where the wave generated was 1720 feet high. I talked to a guy who rode it out in a boat.

urbanski
04-07-08, 02:15 PM
Quakes and snow are both pretty rare down there. The wife is headed that way next month for a conference.

is she earthquake-proof?

urbanski
04-07-08, 02:15 PM
Alaska has 5000-6000 earthquakes per year. http://seagrant.uaf.edu/features/earthquake/facts1.html

Do a Google on "Lituya Bay Event" where the wave generated was 1720 feet high. I talked to a guy who rode it out in a boat.
i refuse to let you one-up MY story. MY earthquake today > YOUR earthquakes. Thats my story and i'm sticking to it

dkozloski
04-07-08, 02:46 PM
If you want the best effect from an earthquake you want to experience it while sitting on the toilet. The solid connection with the earth transmits the movements for the greatest "G" forces. If the water sloshes up and hits your butt you know it was a big one.

It's interesting to see the looks on peoples faces who have never rode out a quake before.

If you're next to a highway you can see the waves in the ground as a 7 or 8 approaches.

A local quake, when I was a kid, resulted in a catastrophe of near biblical proportions because the motion was such that it knocked the bottles off the shelves in the liquor stores and they broke. Some of the stores of long standing still have a wire stretched across the front of the shelves to prevent a repeat.

Submariner409
04-07-08, 03:17 PM
Slightly different tack: Naples, Italy sits in the center of a huge volcanic activity cauldron (Vesuvius) which stretches from Baia on the north, down to Salerno, about 45 miles south. The whole joint rises and falls as gas and magma upwell and subside. During my 3-year tour of Navy staff duty there we lived northeast of Naples, in the Epomeo district, actually a dormant crater (one of many). Most nights you could sit in the living room of our apartment and while swilling your bourbon and water, watch the chandelier, swag lamp, whatever slightly dance and jiggle from the activity hundreds of feet below. Steam and/or sulfurous gas coming from a crack in road asphalt was not uncommon. Interesting place.......

dkozloski
04-07-08, 03:22 PM
Slightly different tack: Naples, Italy sits in the center of a huge volcanic activity cauldron (Vesuvius) which stretches from Baia on the north, down to Salerno, about 45 miles south. The whole joint rises and falls as gas and magma upwell and subside. During my 3-year tour of Navy staff duty there we lived northeast of Naples, in the Epomeo district, actually a dormant crater (one of many). Most nights you could sit in the living room of our apartment and while swilling your bourbon and water, watch the chandelier, swag lamp, whatever slightly dance and jiggle from the activity hundreds of feet below. Steam and/or sulfurous gas coming from a crack in road asphalt was not uncommon. Interesting place.......
Vulcanologists claim they're overdue for a big one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 03:46 PM
Volcanologists say we're due (overdue) for a giant, eruption, landslide and tsunami from one of the Canary Islands. They predict the volcano will erupt, causing the west half of the very unstable island to slide into the Atlantic Ocean, unleashing a tsunami that will cover the eastern seaboard, if not more.

dkozloski
04-07-08, 04:26 PM
Volcanologists say we're due (overdue) for a giant, eruption, landslide and tsunami from one of the Canary Islands. They predict the volcano will erupt, causing the west half of the very unstable island to slide into the Atlantic Ocean, unleashing a tsunami that will cover the eastern seaboard, if not more.
I was wondering what we were going to do about all the east coast liberals. This sounds like as good an idea as any. Now does anybody have any suggestions about the west coast?

Playdrv4me
04-07-08, 04:26 PM
How curiously amusing. Dennis Miller is broadcasting from South Texas today and he was right in the middle of it. Being from California however, he said a 3.5 in California is about as bad as an Alarm clock.

urbanski
04-07-08, 04:32 PM
I was wondering what we were going to do about all the east coast liberals. This sounds like as good an idea as any. Now does anybody have any suggestions about the west coast?

you're west coast

gary88
04-07-08, 05:27 PM

I'm surprised you didn't include a Peter North reference somewhere in there.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 06:06 PM
I'm surprised you didn't include a Peter North reference somewhere in there.

Naw man, I'm all Northed out. I went out and bought the second volume to his "best of" collection yesterday.

dkozloski
04-07-08, 06:10 PM
How curiously amusing. Dennis Miller is broadcasting from South Texas today and he was right in the middle of it. Being from California however, he said a 3.5 in California is about as bad as an Alarm clock.
Around here a 3.5 doesn't make the enening news.

dkozloski
04-07-08, 06:12 PM
you're west coast
Th tsunami would have to wash over Mt. McKinley and the Alaska Range to get to me.

urbanski
04-07-08, 06:14 PM
Th tsunami would have to wash over Mt. McKinley and the Alaska Range to get to me.

the tsunami would have to wash over [H]ouston to get me....which would be a welcome thing. [H]ouston is a smelly town.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 06:20 PM
Smelly with RT.

77CDV
04-08-08, 03:29 PM
Being a native CA guy, I'm not impressed by your so-called quake in TX. But, AK does have far more quakes than CA. The really fun ones cause the earth to liquify. The run of the mill quakes just rearrange the furniture a bit.

dkozloski
04-08-08, 05:41 PM
Being a native CA guy, I'm not impressed by your so-called quake in TX. But, AK does have far more quakes than CA. The really fun ones cause the earth to liquify. The run of the mill quakes just rearrange the furniture a bit.
Every time somebody goes back and restudies the April 1964 Alaska quake they come up with a bigger number. If the big one that's gonna hit California is a similar 9.2 there ain't gonna be anything left. There was over 20,000 sq. mi. of land in Alaska that permanently changed elevation more than 20 feet. The Northridge quake was a 6.7. The Alaska quake was more than 300 times stronger at 9.2. The Alaska quake was more than 300,000 times stronger than Urby's quake in Texas. The earthquake scale is logarithmic. Do the math.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 05:50 PM
Isn't the 1964 quake the one that caused the ground in Fairbanks (or was it Anchorage?) to shift like thirty feet in some places? And didn't it cause the earth to liquify and a few tsunamis too?

urbanski
04-08-08, 06:29 PM
The Alaska quake was more than 300,000 times stronger than Urby's quake in Texas. The earthquake scale is logarithmic. Do the math.

so??.. i almost DIED

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 06:33 PM
I just died in your arms tonight. It must have been something you said.

urbanski
04-08-08, 06:35 PM
haha

dkozloski
04-08-08, 06:36 PM
Isn't the 1964 quake the one that caused the ground in Fairbanks (or was it Anchorage?) to shift like thirty feet in some places? And didn't it cause the earth to liquify and a few tsunamis too?
Anchorage was built on a mud flat that turned to liquid. In Valdez Arm there was a landslide that created the second highest tsunami wave in history. Water in deep wells in South Africa was going up and down 20 feet or more. The entire Earth rang like a bell for weeks. You could spend weeks reading personal histories that would blow your mind. Valdez bay completely emptied and a ship at the dock was sitting on the bottom and the bay refilled and emptied again three or more times.

Go to youtube and do a search on "1964 Alaska earthquake". It's almost unbelievable.

In 1958 there was an earthquake and rockfall that created a wave 1720 feet high in Lituya Bay Alaska. That was easy to verify because millions of trees were washed away from a mountainside that high.

There was an 8.something earthquake a couple of years ago in the interior of Alaska and you can still see a section of the highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks where two sections of roadway don't matchup by nearly twenty feet.

Just writing about this stuff has made me realize why I couldn't stand living in the lower 48 amid all that dullness and mediocrity. Around here, things are jumping.

urbanski
04-08-08, 06:55 PM
yeah but you dont have tornados and rattlesnakes

dkozloski
04-08-08, 07:02 PM
yeah but you dont have tornados and rattlesnakes
The trailer parks around here just don't seem to have the same attraction for tornados as the ones in the lower 48. Evidently the rattlesnakes can't handle the Alaskan mosquitos.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 07:10 PM
In 1958 there was an earthquake and rockfall that created a wave 1720 feet high in Lituya Bay Alaska. That was easy to verify because millions of trees were washed away from a mountainside that high.

I remember seeing that on a show on either the Discovery or History Channels. They interviewed two people (a man and his son) that were on a boat in Lituya Bay that day in '58. They said the wave was caused by a landslide and it washed their boat like halfway up the mountain, and they showed the line where you could where the water rose up to. Pretty heady stuff. And then only six years later, the big quake of '64 hit.

How big is Lituya Bay? Is it comperable to the great lakes?

dkozloski
04-08-08, 07:52 PM
http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1958LituyaB.html

RightTurn
04-08-08, 09:17 PM
i almost bought the farm today :eek:

I hope you paid CASH. :alchi:

RightTurn
04-08-08, 09:19 PM
Smelly with RT.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/sarahw422/GTFO2-1.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 09:20 PM
I meant smelly, and with RT's residence. :D

Kev
04-08-08, 09:37 PM
Magnitude of 3.7, ..... wow..... :yawn: yup, you were nearly a gonner there Urb. Don't know how you ever survived that one..... better check the pictures on your walls, they may be a little out of plumb now.

I'm just so glad you made it out alive..... :crying:

RightTurn
04-08-08, 10:02 PM
I meant smelly, and with RT's residence. :D

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/sarahw422/cute-puppy-pictures-pez-dispenser1.jpg