: Coated Header Poll - Calling All Header Owners

SuperV_Rob
04-07-08, 12:05 PM
All header owners please read. I have spent a lot of time reading everything that I could find on this subject. I have formed an opinion and am in the process of having my new Kooks headers coated as I type. I have also purchased a digital laser thermometer and will document the temps of under hood wiring, brake lines, starter and anything else in the stock exhaust path before the headers are installed and then I will measure the temps once the coated headers are installed to determine what mods I need to perform in advance of sympathetic heat failure due to the header addition.

However, I was unable to find much in the way of specific owner/user information on the web. Therefore, I would like to see a poll of those that have used coated and uncoated headers and their opinion as to the potential benefit of coating the headers?

Here we go, have you used coated headers and what if any benefit have you seen? If you have used uncoated headers in your otherwise stock LS6 car, have you suffered any sympathetic heat failures due to their addition and if so, what were they?

Thanks in advance for your making time to participate in this poll,

Rob

trukk
04-07-08, 12:25 PM
i got mine coated.

I've got about 25k miles on them now. I did have one burnt wire (passenger side, front cylinder), but that is more due to the header design than anything. With the kooks that wire comes VERY close to the header primary.

It's very tight in the engine compartment, I'm glad I got the coating. Worth the peice of mind in my book.

At a bare minimum you should get KoolSox for the wires. I'd get the coating again, if I were doing it over.

-Chris

rand49er
04-07-08, 01:50 PM
No coating here ... sure wish I had done it.

Have a melted connector, but it's downstream a bit and was caused by close proximity to the hi-flow cats.

crankedupforit
04-07-08, 01:55 PM
All header owners please read. I have spent a lot of time reading everything that I could find on this subject. I have formed an opinion and am in the process of having my new Kooks headers coated as I type. I have also purchased a digital laser thermometer and will document the temps of under hood wiring, brake lines, starter and anything else in the stock exhaust path before the headers are installed and then I will measure the temps once the coated headers are installed to determine what mods I need to perform in advance of sympathetic heat failure due to the header addition.

However, I was unable to find much in the way of specific owner/user information on the web. Therefore, I would like to see a poll of those that have used coated and uncoated headers and their opinion as to the potential benefit of coating the headers?

Here we go, have you used coated headers and what if any benefit have you seen? If you have used uncoated headers in your otherwise stock LS6 car, have you suffered any sympathetic heat failures due to their addition and if so, what were they?

Thanks in advance for your making time to participate in this poll,

Rob

Rob
The results would be interesting. My only thought would be that once you open the hood, the experiment gets spoiled because all the hot air has an outlet to escape. Also without the car moving and flowing air under the hood, I wonder if you really could see the true difference with or without coating. I would think that you won't see much of a difference with a stationary car with the hood open at idle because the headers cool down and dissapate heat pretty quick. I still think coatings are worth it for whats going on temp wise under the hood while your moving at speed with the hood closed. Good luck with the test and keep us posted.

Keys8541
04-07-08, 02:08 PM
Im running Kooks with an LS6, granted I do not drive the car everyday I have had absolutely no problems so far.

Not talkin trash on anyone, but from what I have read a lot of the do-it-yourselfers are the ones running into probems. However if someone can explain to me a good reason to do the coating or heat sox I will because I do know there are potential problems, just none I have experienced so far.

dqw1
04-07-08, 02:42 PM
Kooks (uncloated) on an LS6 and no issues so far after one year.

CTSV_Rob
04-07-08, 02:43 PM
I installed the Headers myself and have had no issues with them.

No heat sox on the wires, not coated, B&B headers.

I wish I would have done the coating but I don't seem to be having any issues. I looked underneath the car a this weekend and I am seeing some heat damage on the beakline covers so I will be relocating those but other than that the installation is very clean and no problems.

I also plan to buy the heat sox for the plug wires but more as a precaution. I have not had any problems with them up to this point but better safe than sorry.

Excuse my ignorance, I have never coated headers before. I hear people saying they would do the coating again but what is the biggest advantage you have seen with the coating?

SuperV_Rob
04-07-08, 04:07 PM
Rob,

I am not certain why others made a decision to coat their headers, hence this poll. However, I made my decision based on some technical research which you will find on this forum, specifically this post http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/136269-headers-coating-no-coating.html

After reading the results of their test, I figure that with half as much sustained heat, I will have half as many problems. Not to mention the fact that if the headers actually run cooler than stock (to be determined by my test), I should have zero problems.

Regards,

Rob

I installed the Headers myself and have had no issues with them.

No heat sox on the wires, not coated, B&B headers.

I wish I would have done the coating but I don't seem to be having any issues. I looked underneath the car a this weekend and I am seeing some heat damage on the beakline covers so I will be relocating those but other than that the installation is very clean and no problems.

I also plan to buy the heat sox for the plug wires but more as a precaution. I have not had any problems with them up to this point but better safe than sorry.

Excuse my ignorance, I have never coated headers before. I hear people saying they would do the coating again but what is the biggest advantage you have seen with the coating?

NormV
04-07-08, 05:26 PM
The kooks don't come close to the brake lines. I checked Luna posted pics. I two road coursed this weekend and just snugged everything up again. All is well. So if your doing track events with their half lap or more cool down, non coated should be fine.
If your idling in summer traffic everyday then I'd be concern. Then coated whatever is no going to help as there is no air flow through the engine bay aside from the fans coming on. I would focus on turning the fans on earlier accompanied by a lower temp thermostat if your worried about under good heat. :)

Norm

SuperV_Rob
04-08-08, 12:30 AM
Dang, I thought that more V owners had headers?

SkullV
04-08-08, 12:59 AM
I have uncoated Kooks. They are great and it doesn't look like I have any problems with burning anything and I drive her HARD. I do have KoolSox on my stock wires just for peace of mind and it was easy to do during the install. I had a 5 page thread going about coated headers when I was making my decision and I felt that after reading everyones information it was not worth it unless you were going to be doing a large amount of track days.

lunarx
04-08-08, 02:01 AM
Not coated, but will be soon.

I'm going to go with the Swain Tech.

It is the thickest
&
It has no other purpose than insulating
(thus the ugly white color and lack of "pretty" metalic colors).

TaVern
04-08-08, 02:26 AM
Dang, I thought that more V owners had headers?

Count me in. Uncoated Kooks. No issues.

trukk
04-08-08, 11:53 AM
Again, 25k miles on my headers with one burnt wire with coating.

I think a consideration for coated or not, is how much you will drive and how long. In the summer when I'm creeping home from work sitting in stop and go traffic for 45 minutes, I'm VERY glad I got coated. My car is a daily drive (80 miles per day).

If this is a weekend car or don't put that many miles on it, or never do stop and go, then the coating may not be as crucial to you.

For everyone that said coated, no problems, I'd love to hear how long you've had the headers on (in miles not time).

Coating is a no brainer for my situation.

-Chris

lunarx
04-08-08, 12:03 PM
Guys traffic driving may be hard on the cooling system but it's very easy on the headers & exhaust system.
There is minimal exhaust flow when driving in traffic.

The headers are hottest when you do sustained high RPM driving.
Those are the conditions where coating could have the largest temp reduction (compared to non-coated).

Those who ever had an EGT in their cars would understand this concept.
At idle & low RPM traffic driving EGT temps are in their minimum range.
EGT increases (and eventually reaches it's peak) at high RPM and load.

benelliwang
04-08-08, 01:22 PM
Guys traffic driving may be hard on the cooling system but it's very easy on the headers & exhaust system.
There is minimal exhaust flow when driving in traffic.

The headers are hottest when you do sustained high RPM driving.
Those are the conditions where coating could have the largest temp reduction (compared to non-coated).

Those who ever had an EGT in their cars would understand this concept.
At idle & low RPM traffic driving EGT temps are in their minimum range.
EGT increases (and eventually reaches it's peak) at high RPM and load.

Quoted for truth. I have EGT gauge on one of my turbo cars. At idle and coasting, the temp goes down to 600-800 degrees. At cruising, it does around 1400 degrees when in boost. WOT can hit 1600 degree. The exhaust temp can raise and fall rapidly, you can see 1600 degree on a WOT run but immediate falls to 800 as you coast down, it doesn't stay hot long. This is on a stock exhaust manifold with thick heat shields.

Coated headers are still hot as noted on people here who has coated headers and still burned some wires. Coated or not, you still have to make sure no wires are touching the headers and zip tie everything away from the exhaust.

I would coat the headers for turbo spool or clean looks. Just IMHO.

Naf
04-08-08, 02:29 PM
Well lets remember a small detail...Our stock exhaust system wasnt coated, so why should we coat our aftermarket ones...The headers run cooler..My engine compartment is much cooler then before...Before i go around the block and open the hood, and am greeted by a wave of heat...but now after my headers the heat is barely noticable even after a hard run...Its there, but not as intense as before...

trukk
04-08-08, 02:59 PM
Well lets remember a small detail...Our stock exhaust system wasnt coated, so why should we coat our aftermarket ones...The headers run cooler..My engine compartment is much cooler then before...Before i go around the block and open the hood, and am greeted by a wave of heat...but now after my headers the heat is barely noticable even after a hard run...Its there, but not as intense as before...

Headers heat up faster than cast iron, and cool down quicker too. They are going to radiate that 1500 degree heat quick, and then disipate back to normal fairly quick too (although not as fast as coated headers, as that radiated heat goes into the exaust, and not readiate out due to the coating).

I just don't get why poeple don't think coated headers are worth it.

-Chris

Naf
04-08-08, 03:39 PM
Headers heat up faster than cast iron, and cool down quicker too. They are going to radiate that 1500 degree heat quick, and then disipate back to normal fairly quick too (although not as fast as coated headers, as that radiated heat goes into the exaust, and not readiate out due to the coating).

I just don't get why poeple don't think coated headers are worth it.

-Chris

:yeah:

SuperV_Rob
04-08-08, 09:05 PM
What I find interesting is that folks on the forum are more interested in talking about Bubba buying a GM after so many years as opposed to weighing in on a discussion about a mod that most folks will consider once their warranty has expired. As I understand it (I do not profess to be an expert) headers (coated or not) are one of the cheapest horsepower mods that money can buy? Is this not correct?

DILLIGAF
04-08-08, 09:12 PM
Coated,pretty silver with no issues.

CTSV_Rob
04-08-08, 09:14 PM
What I find interesting is that folks on the forum are more interested in talking about Bubba buying a GM after so many years as opposed to weighing in on a discussion about a mod that most folks will consider once their warranty has expired. As I understand it (I do not profess to be an expert) headers (coated or not) are one of the cheapest horsepower mods that money can buy? Is this not correct?
I was supposed to wait until the warranty expired?

CTSV_Rob
04-08-08, 09:15 PM
Coated,pretty silver with no issues.
I am thinking about going with the Ugly white. :D

trukk
04-08-08, 09:56 PM

WOW, we are on the same page for sure on that.

I love talking cams and mods, and bears OH MY.

I'm SOOO sick of the moaning, and asking about cosmetic mods, and of coures :22s:

:ack:

-Chris

benelliwang
04-08-08, 10:15 PM
WOW, we are on the same page for sure on that.

I love talking cams and mods, and bears OH MY.

I'm SOOO sick of the moaning, and asking about cosmetic mods, and of coures :22s:

:ack:

-Chris

LOL so true, and I thought corvetteforum was bad *ducks and hides*:hide:

heavymetals
04-08-08, 11:13 PM
Uncoated on both cars.

lunarx
04-08-08, 11:25 PM
Uncoated on both cars.
But never drives anywhere. :p

Keys8541
04-08-08, 11:25 PM
OK, Im moving to Texas and in that heat im assuming I should get them coated. However everyone posting here with Kooks say they are fine. We will see though. It's not a daily driver.

Rey
04-09-08, 11:10 AM
My impression is that stainless steel headers are not usually coated unless by special request. Normal steel headers are coated usually for cosmetics,longivity, and any heat retention is a secondary objective.
Jet Hot was a leader in header coatings for some time. I know that TPIS used to ship their headers to AZ from MN to be coated by Jet Hot. Then, TPIS found a local source for similar coating. I have 64K miles on TPIS-coated headers with no wear, flaking, etc. TPIS told me that they had tried several times to coat the inside of headers and the coatings never held up.

qweegybo
04-09-08, 06:17 PM
After doing amples amount of research on several different performace forums i'm planning on puchasing the B&B headers (coated), i already have the B&B exhaust w/ resonator installed. The only negative effect I've heard about is the diffusion of heat that the headers do and how most of that heat will be absorbed by the next thing in line... the hi flow cats... apparently the concern at that point is the cats degrading because of the amount of heat that gets to it. Either way i'de rather have peice of mind with coated headers to better protect my wiring, lines, and other compontents. Anyone with this same setup who has advice about this setup please send a PM with it.. or post it. thanks

ef

CTSV_Rob
04-09-08, 06:27 PM
But never drives anywhere. :p
At least his runs :hide:

SuperV_Rob
04-09-08, 09:12 PM
Now that was a low blow :)

At least his runs :hide: