: Constantly Curious About One of Those Stupid Little Things on Here

AMGoff
04-07-08, 01:36 AM
There's something I've always been curious about on here as I know some others have been or might be as well.

So just out of nothing other than curiosity... are all the cars listed under everyone's name actually your cars?

I mean... out of the ones I have listed, I'm driving the Eldorado throughout most of the week, although I switch it up with the Grand Wagoneer - which is mainly used in the winter but also when there's something big that needs moved/hauled. The wife always drives the Liberty... unless we both are going somewhere or it needs to be worked on - then I'll drive that. The CJ5 is our project car... it runs, but doesn't get driven all that much, we decided it would be nice to have something we both like that we can work on together... Becky isn't all that much help mechanical-wise, but she helps where and when she can - we'll both probably drive it when it's all finally finished. And the Seville... well may it Rest In Peace - I'm still in mourning...

But needless to say, my name is on the title and registration along with the wife's on each of them.

But some I've seen on here seem just a little odd and I just wonder if they're all the various member's actual cars... If they're not, then might I just ask why exactly you would list cars that aren't yours... I mean, what's the point??

Anyway... I'm pretty sure there won't be all that many responses to this... but it's late and I'm bored because I'm still having trouble sleeping due to all the lymes stuff... So yeah... just curious.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 01:42 AM
The S Class is the only car I own now. I could put the Roadie and deVille in too, but I'd rather not.

Playdrv4me
04-07-08, 01:46 AM
When I *had* our cars listed on mine, I prefaced it with "Our Cars", meaning the cars in my family circle because I thought about the exact same thing you brought up.

eldorado99
04-07-08, 06:04 AM
Man you must have been REALLY REALLY ESPECIALLY bored when you posted this...

Says the guy posting at 3AM...

slk230mb
04-07-08, 06:40 AM
I only list my car. I could list my family's cars, but no one cares about a Lexus, an Avalon, or a Yukon XL.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
04-07-08, 08:06 AM
Both cars I list are currently mine.

thebigjimsho
04-07-08, 10:13 AM
Do I have my Town Car listed?

thebigjimsho
04-07-08, 10:14 AM
Nope, guess not. Probably removed it because it says Cadillac(s):

gothicaleigh
04-07-08, 10:27 AM
I changed mine to just my past and present Cadillacs when the title changed. They are/were all mine along with the dozen or so other cars I own/have owned that don't fit under "Cadillac(s):".

Good thread topic though. I've wondered about some member's lists in the past (are they their cars? their parent's cars? etc.)

...and just because every thread should have a bit of conflict to keep things interesting:

Should leasees get to claim ownership? :lildevil:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-07-08, 11:27 AM
Mine is mine. And for the record, I didn't forget a zero at the end of the price. :D

AMGoff
04-07-08, 12:38 PM
I changed mine to just my past and present Cadillacs when the title changed. They are/were all mine along with the dozen or so other cars I own/have owned that don't fit under "Cadillac(s):".

Good thread topic though. I've wondered about some member's lists in the past (are they their cars? their parent's cars? etc.)

...and just because every thread should have a bit of conflict to keep things interesting:

Should leasees get to claim ownership? :lildevil:

I think your name should be on the title and registration... if it actually yours.

hueterm
04-07-08, 12:46 PM
Yes.

nickc50310
04-07-08, 01:18 PM
I think your name should be on the title and registration... if it actually yours.

I think if you make the payments then it is YOURS.

My name is not on the title but I damn sure make the payment.

With that said, I think you should only have your car listed. Some people list their moms/dads/cousins/aunts/etc cars.

Jesda
04-07-08, 02:09 PM
Sup.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 02:28 PM
Can I add the cars I own in Forza Motorsports 2? Let's see here, I've got my Murcielago, my 360 Modena, my F430, my 1991 512t, my C6 Z06, my CLK55 AMG, my R32 GTi, my 2007 GTi, my CTS-V, etc etc...

CadillacGurl
04-07-08, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry I don't have a car but I drive all the cars listed because they're my family's....

gdwriter
04-07-08, 03:32 PM
I own both of the cars listed here and shown in my signature. I know Betty isn't a Cadillac, but since she gets frequent mention here, I still list her. Besides, when the Impala was launched in 1958, it was Chevrolet's first attempt to build an everyman's Cadillac. Consider how much they looked alike:

1958 Impala:

http://www.58classicchevy.com/images/1958-chevrolet-impala-10.jpg

1958 Cadillac Series 62:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1950-1959-cadillac-6.jpg

hueterm
04-07-08, 04:08 PM
You know, I never noticed that until you put the 2 pics side by side -- cool!

Playdrv4me
04-07-08, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry I don't have a car but I drive all the cars listed because they're my family's....

I think this is just fine too. I mean for pete's sake it's not a missile launch code we're discussing, it's an ownership line. I agree that if you live in a household with a bunch of cars you drive regularly there is nothing wrong with listing them if you want. I go through so many I just gave up and took an ex-gf's quote.

Destroyer
04-07-08, 04:48 PM
I think your name should be on the title and registration... if it actually yours.Which would make most newer cars here...............bank owned and the posters own nothing.:thepan::alchi:

Playdrv4me
04-07-08, 04:51 PM
Which would make most newer cars here...............bank owned and the posters own nothing.:thepan::alchi:

I was actually going to bring that up and forgot. Count me in on the bank owns me side.

AMGoff
04-07-08, 05:13 PM
Which would make most newer cars here...............bank owned and the posters own nothing.:thepan::alchi:

While the bank might hold the title, your name is still on there with the bank listed as the lien holder... but, you're name is also still on the registration. But as Nick also pointed out (and I think this definitely applies for leasees, as I'm not sure how that works since I've never leased a car) if you're the one writing the checks to whichever institution, then you own the car.

I'm sure everyone, or at least some, knows what I'm saying... regardless of the exact means, you know if you own a car or not.

Like I said... it's just something I've always been curious about and I know others have as well about... it's just a little odd why anyone would list such. It's definitely not a horrible, end of the world, Spanish Inquisition kind of thing... it's just funny, that's all. I know I probably shouldn't list anything more up there than the Eldo... but to each their own.

ejguillot
04-07-08, 05:23 PM
+1 on the making payments side.

gary88
04-07-08, 05:30 PM
The Seville is mine, the Escalade is my mom's. She drives my sister around a lot and usually takes my car all the time since it's better on gas, therefore putting the Escalade in my hands.

CadillacSTS42005
04-07-08, 05:48 PM
the twins
aka 03 STS and 97 ETC (driven mostly by my sister now a days though) are mine

98 STS is moms DD

05 STS is Dads DD
06 V is Dads "toy"
the 74 is my dads he put it into storage when he herd lac was killing verts so he bought one and stored it
it sits in the 3rd stall in our garage until i find the time and money to restore it....

Playdrv4me
04-07-08, 05:55 PM
the twins
aka 03 STS and 97 ETC (driven mostly by my sister now a days though) are mine

98 STS is moms DD

05 STS is Dads DD
06 V is Dads "toy"
the 74 is my dads he put it into storage when he herd lac was killing verts so he bought one and stored it
it sits in the 3rd stall in our garage until i find the time and money to restore it....

That has me curious. I always wondered if your dad REALLY loved his STS so much he went out and bought the identical car in the Supercharged version. I know when I was looking for another car to replace the Navigator, I wanted to stay away even from another BMW except for possibly the 7 series because I already HAD one. Did your dad not have any interest in, or consider the XLR-V, or were they still too much back then? I know that they are down below 60 now, closer to 50.

For example, even though I love the E46 3 Series, if I had a 330i the last thing I would want is an M3, I would want something quite different. I dont know if Im making sense or not.

CadillacGurl
04-07-08, 06:05 PM
Hmmm... I wonder if I should put Jay's mom's 98 STS in my tag since I drive it occasionally :lol: :lildevil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 06:09 PM
I've been known to drive my brother's '96 Sentra, but I'm too ashamed to even associate myself with it.

gdwriter
04-07-08, 07:57 PM
I've been known to drive my brother's '96 Sentra, but I'm too ashamed to even associate myself with it.Yeah, I wouldn't admit it, either.

CadillacSTS42005
04-07-08, 08:50 PM
That has me curious. I always wondered if your dad REALLY loved his STS so much he went out and bought the identical car in the Supercharged version. I know when I was looking for another car to replace the Navigator, I wanted to stay away even from another BMW except for possibly the 7 series because I already HAD one. Did your dad not have any interest in, or consider the XLR-V, or were they still too much back then? I know that they are down below 60 now, closer to 50.

For example, even though I love the E46 3 Series, if I had a 330i the last thing I would want is an M3, I would want something quite different. I dont know if Im making sense or not.

if you couldnt tell we are a Cadillac family
my dad has always owned a Mark or an Eldo till both got Axed
He bought the V when we had my moms 96 Deville, then it started to have problems so we traded it in on the 05 STS
mom doesnt like the newer STS at all, not into the whole RWD thing and also way to many gizmo's for her so she ended up taking my dads 98 STS and he ended up with the 05 STS as a DD as the V is just not "economical"

XLR-V or just an XLR isnt appealing to him as he owns a buiz and needs the trunk and back seat to use to make deliveries and pick ups
not to mention the whole fam (nik included) couldnt fit in an XLR

Destroyer
04-07-08, 08:56 PM
For example, even though I love the E46 3 Series, if I had a 330i the last thing I would want is an M3, I would want something quite different. I dont know if Im making sense or not.Well, to me it makes sense cause I'm the same way. I love getting different cars all the time. Sometimes high end cars, sometimes low end cars and everything in between. I enjoy them all. If I have good luck with a car and sell it I'll never be inclined to get one again no matter how much I liked it. Been there, done that I guess.

CadillacGurl
04-07-08, 08:58 PM
Plus the 74 Eldo is a vert... don't need two convertibles...

CadillacSTS42005
04-07-08, 09:02 PM
lol
that things a boat
im the last one who drove it and that was almost 2 yrs ago
he hasnt driven it in over 4....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 09:05 PM
I've finally found a car that I love, even after 8 months of ownership. Ideally, I will move up to a V8 powered W140 in a few years. Unless something exhorbitantly expensive comes up, this is what I intend on doing.

CadillacGurl
04-07-08, 09:06 PM
lol
that things a boat
he hasnt driven it in over 4....

Its been over 3... since I started dating you, you never drove it

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 09:08 PM
Nicki, you killed the Eldorado.

CadillacSTS42005
04-07-08, 09:12 PM
no
my sister doing a damn good job of slowly killing off my ETC

CadillacGurl
04-07-08, 09:13 PM
Nicki, you killed the Eldorado.

I'm sorry!! :crying:

CadillacGurl
04-07-08, 09:13 PM
no
my sister doing a damn good job of slowly killing off my ETC

Sad, but true... poor Elaine

gdwriter
04-08-08, 12:47 AM
lol
that things a boat
he hasnt driven it in over 4....Is there something wrong with it, or does it just not get driven?

It's been a couple of weeks since I've driven Betty (crummy weather and she's still relatively clean compared to Cruella). But when the weather's good, I try to take her out at least once a week. Driving her regularly is good for her, and for me; it almost always puts me in a better mood.

Jesda
04-08-08, 09:25 AM
Since I'm a supermod on this forum, I count all of your cars as mine. I mean, you wouldn't have them without this forum to help you out, and since I help the forum, I basically help you, therefore I have an ownership stake in all your cars. Therefore, every car on the Cadillac forum belongs to me.

Yep... no leaps of logic there!

AMGoff
04-08-08, 11:01 AM
Since I'm a supermod on this forum, I count all of your cars as mine. I mean, you wouldn't have them without this forum to help you out, and since I help the forum, I basically help you, therefore I have an ownership stake in all your cars. Therefore, every car on the Cadillac forum belongs to me.

Yep... no leaps of logic there!

That's about as logical as some others we've seen... so why not?

Kudos :thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
04-08-08, 11:22 AM
You certainly own all of mine.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 12:26 PM
I am nothing more than a figment of Jesda's imagination.

gdwriter
04-08-08, 12:53 PM
Therefore, every car on the Cadillac forum belongs to me.I will forward all gas and repair bills to you, then.

Lucky for you, my cars are paid for, but I'm sure some of the other members will be happy to have you take over their payments. :lildevil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 01:10 PM
I will forward all gas and repair bills to you, then.

Me too, especially the bill for the impending A/C Evaporator job....$5,000 later, you'll know how it feels to own a Benz.

TexasCadillac
04-08-08, 02:20 PM
:topicsucks:
Man you must have been REALLY REALLY ESPECIALLY bored when you posted this...

Says the guy posting at 3AM...

gdwriter
04-08-08, 03:01 PM
Me too, especially the bill for the impending A/C Evaporator job....$5,000 later, you'll know how it feels to own a Benz.Holy crap! That's several times over what I've spent over the past nine years to get/keep Betty's A/C working.

77CDV
04-08-08, 03:10 PM
Consider how much they looked alike:

1958 Impala:

http://www.58classicchevy.com/images/1958-chevrolet-impala-10.jpg

1958 Cadillac Series 62:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1950-1959-cadillac-6.jpg
Just as Harley Earl intended. All the 1958 GM cars have that same stong family resemblance. Earl did the same thing in 1932, which he considered his favorite year of design.

Some say the 58s look overstuffed, but I like them, especially the 58 Fleetwood. Chrome OD!!

Jesda
04-08-08, 03:12 PM
Me too, especially the bill for the impending A/C Evaporator job....$5,000 later, you'll know how it feels to own a Benz.

I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID.

I'm fine for now with my electric 2006 Mustang.
RS3cYB9TdEE

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 03:13 PM
Just as Harley Earl intended. All the 1958 GM cars have that same stong family resemblance. Earl did the same thing in 1932, which he considered his favorite year of design.

Some say the 58s look overstuffed, but I like them, especially the 58 Fleetwood. Chrome OD!!

1958 Buick FTW. 1959 Buick FTWW.

77CDV
04-08-08, 03:20 PM
OMG!!:holycrap::eek::shocked2::jawdrop:

That's more than I paid to have the 425 rebuilt in my 77!!!! 5K would buy you a really nice Mark V. With a working AC yet.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 03:31 PM
Man you and Rick really love to act shocked whenever you hear of an expensive repair on a foreign car.

AMGoff
04-08-08, 06:05 PM
:topicsucks:

Ahhh... the smell of passive aggression.

Man you and Rick really love to act shocked whenever you hear of an expensive repair on a foreign car.

You have to admit though, such figures are a bit hard to swallow especially for the domestic set...

That's old Chad for ya... strutting around in his panzer tank, locking Lenny Lincoln threads, the list goes on and on... j/k.

I only have one word for you... syllogism.

gdwriter
04-08-08, 06:13 PM
Me too, especially the bill for the impending A/C Evaporator job....$5,000 later, you'll know how it feels to own a Benz.OK, something's not right here. Having replaced most of Betty's A/C components over the past nine years, I have some idea what the parts cost. So, out of curiosity, I went to Rock Auto and looked up the A/C evaporator core for a 99 S320. The prices range from $129.79 to $314.79.

http://67.129.153.73/CGv2Production/Pictures/Mercedes%20J-Pegs%5C1408302158.jpg

BEHR Part # 1408302158

I know labor on a Mercedes-Benz can be high, but somebody's trying to shaft you up the whazoo with a $5,000 repair quote.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 06:26 PM
It's not the part, it's the labor. I believe I've said this before, so I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but you have to remove both front seats, the center console, the entire dashboard and I believe the carpeting too. M-B really put the Evap in a great spot there. I just looked it up in the Motor labor guide we have at work, and M-B's factory time is 25.9 hours. Which means that when a mechanic does this job, he gets paid for 25.9 hours worth of work, and that's what they generally charge the customer too, but it may take longer if the technician has a hard time with any of it.

So 25.9 hours times 117.11 per hour (the labor rate at Southview Chevrolet, which is close to Feldmann Imports, my dealer), we have $3,033.15 in labor, plus the parts, tax and shop supplies. And who knows if it needs more than just the Evaporator.

So hopefully, that goes before my service contract expires, because the A/C Evap is a covered part under my policy.

gdwriter
04-08-08, 07:18 PM
It's not the part, it's the labor. I believe I've said this before, so I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but you have to remove both front seats, the center console, the entire dashboard and I believe the carpeting too. M-B really put the Evap in a great spot there. I just looked it up in the Motor labor guide we have at work, and M-B's factory time is 25.9 hours. Which means that when a mechanic does this job, he gets paid for 25.9 hours worth of work, and that's what they generally charge the customer too, but it may take longer if the technician has a hard time with any of it.

So 25.9 hours times 117.11 per hour (the labor rate at Southview Chevrolet, which is close to Feldmann Imports, my dealer), we have $3,033.15 in labor, plus the parts, tax and shop supplies. And who knows if it needs more than just the Evaporator.

So hopefully, that goes before my service contract expires, because the A/C Evap is a covered part under my policy.Yikes, that's insane how much has to be removed just to get to this part. Nice design, there, Helmut.

Good thing this is covered under your extended warranty.

Jesda
04-08-08, 07:19 PM
My dad's W124 has a similarly annoying design. Its like searching for treasure. Fortunately he has a warranty as well.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-08, 07:32 PM
It's Hitler's revenge.

gdwriter
04-08-08, 09:15 PM
It's Hitler's revenge.Springtime for Hitler! And Germany!

ZGp0hCxSg98

77CDV
04-08-08, 09:54 PM
Nothing to do with the car's country of origin. After reading your post on the R&R procedure, it makes more sense, but really! Since it's covered on your warranty, I suggest subtle sabotage. Think of it as preventative care, not least of your bank account.:rolleyes:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-09-08, 12:13 AM
How does one sabotage a A/C Evaporator? Not that I'd ever dream of damaging any part of a car I own.