: What should I sell?

ShadowLvr400
04-05-08, 09:29 PM
I'm looking at some financial strains lately, and I've been thinking, I should sell one of my cars. The options...
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, 134k on the odometer, 3.42 posi rear, Johnny Winters tranny with 2800 stall, Lt1 with Beehive springs and a 218/224 cam, RAISS air intake, Ravin exhaust, h pipe, and LT1 Edit. I figure I could sell it in the 8-10k range.
1973 Lincoln Mark IV, STOCK. Some body rust, engine runs but needs new hoses, belts and a tune could help. Good project car to start. I think in the 102k range.

If I sell the Lincoln, it's just straight money to keep me going. If I sell the Caddy, some money to fix the true necessities on the Lincoln, and then the rest to keep me going. Or, the last option, is keep struggling through, work any job that I can get, and hope for the best. Any ideas people?

hueterm
04-05-08, 10:34 PM
It depends on how much money you need and how much it would take to fix up the Lincoln.

If you're willing to drive the Lincoln as your daily driver and it is reliable to do so -- AND -- you can clear what you say on the FWB, then maybe sell the FWB, fix what's necessary on the Mark and keep the rest.

If you just need a little to tide you over, then sell the Mark.

You just don't want to end up w/an unreliable car that keeps you from getting to work and worsening your $$ position.

dkozloski
04-05-08, 10:57 PM
Sell them both and get a bicycle. Save your money. You'll need it.

CadillacGurl
04-06-08, 11:04 AM
Try to get a job first. If all else fails sell one of the cars; I'd go with the Lincoln first.

"G$"
04-06-08, 02:49 PM

This fairbanks, Alaska gentlemen is definitely my favorite poster on this forum so far. I always seem to agree with him or laugh at his comments.

:food-snacking::rimshot:

caddycruiser
04-06-08, 02:53 PM
Lincoln = Good-bye

Seems like the stage you're in, the last thing you need is a project car of any kind. Get rid of it as quickly as you can and use the money wisely, even just to keep the Cadillac which is daily driveable AS such. Both are boats and you won't get much out of either, but it's better to have one that's completely able to handle the daily grind and that alone. From there, do what you can to stay with it.

As far as the Caddy, if it comes to it, sell it second, but also be aware $8-10k is VERY high and probably not all that realistic. Maybe emotionally and in total out of pocket, but not a real-world sale. Again, the big old boat--even with nice upgrades--factor plays big.

AMGoff
04-06-08, 11:47 PM
This fairbanks, Alaska gentlemen is definitely my favorite poster on this forum so far. I always seem to agree with him or laugh at his comments.

:food-snacking::rimshot:

For the love of all that is good and holy... don't encourage him... :banghead: he does just fine by himself.

Anyway... back to the point of this... caddycruiser beat me to it - if you decide that you truly want to sell the Cadillac, be prepared to either accept less than what you're thinking or to sit on it a long while. $8-10K is overly optimistic... it doesn't matter what little tweaks you've done here and there, how much money you've put into it, nor how much value (largely sentimental) you see in it... Most buyers won't care... they'll see a 13 year old Cadillac and not much else.

Even the most overly optimistic appraisal (ie - Kelly Blue Book) lists the car at $7K... BUT that's dealer retail, KBB private party sale lists at $5,500 for excellent condition. With that said... I don't know of a single person on this planet who would happily pay Blue Book price. NADA lists dealer retail between $5600-6700. Edmunds (which BTW - I always find to be the most realistic out of all these appraisal services), gives a maximum (all the options and in outstanding condition) of $5300 for dealer retail and $3800 for a private party sale.

I'm really not trying to be mean and I know you think your car is worth a lot more... and it is - to you. But it's a totally different story when you go to try and sell it... so unless you're willing to cut your expectations by about half, you're better off trying to either sell the Lincoln or figure out a way to keep both.

Just remember... a car is really only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Either way - good luck!

hueterm
04-06-08, 11:52 PM
[quote=AMGoff;1473849]For the love of all that is good and holy... don't encourage him... :banghead: he does just fine by himself.

I was waiting for you to read that.... :stirpot:

hueterm
04-06-08, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I didn't KBB the FWB, but if you're banking on your mods to get you the price you mentioned, it would be a minor miracle to find the buyer that's willing to pay a premium for them instead of doing them himself. I'd look at dropping the Lincoln and getting things as simple as possible.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-07-08, 12:24 AM
Hate to say it, but I'd sell the Caddy first. Lincoln is all stock and has the potential to become a very nice collector car. The Caddy is much newer and therefore will be easier to find another if you really want it back once you get yourself settled again.

DopeStar 156
04-07-08, 12:45 AM
Your body.....

If not, then the Lincoln. Project cars are a luxury, use the Fleetwood the get around. Less money on gas anyway.....

Destroyer
04-07-08, 08:37 AM
Price on the Fleetwood w/134k on the clock is highly optimistic. My guess is that it wont bring more than $4-$5k and thats assuming its clean. The Lincoln definately should go cause when it comes to project cars you can pretty much take the price you figure it'll cost to fix and multiply it 2-5 times. If I were you I'd probably get rid of both and find something more economic for a daily driver. Unless you generate steady income, getting rid of the cars is only a band aid fix for the situation.

ShadowLvr400
04-07-08, 09:45 AM
I know I need a steady income first, I'm just caught by the current market in a pretty bad way. As a Chef, when people stop going out to eat to save money, I get hurt quickly. A bunch of restaurants are cutting staff and I got caught in the cuts. And yes, selling either of my cars is a bandage. KBB on mine says 7900-9k, though I haven't done pricing in a while. One reason I was thinking not sell the Lincoln, is the fact that it costs next to nil to keep it, and it wouldn't bring much in its current state. The Fleetwood could bring enough money to make it a couple of months, theoretically. As for selling both and getting an ecobox, not going to happen. 1, between knee problems and a mediocre back, I'd never be comfortable. 2 With the price I'd be looking it, it'd be a used car, and I wouldn't know any of the problems it has, 2.5 I know what's wrong and mostly how to fix whats going on with my Linc and FW, 3 most ecoboxes don't carry enough stuff to be useful. If I'm catering, I need some cargo space. I think for now, I'm just going to try and hang on to both, and grab any jobs I can.

Destroyer
04-07-08, 08:49 PM
I know I need a steady income first, I'm just caught by the current market in a pretty bad way. As a Chef, when people stop going out to eat to save money, I get hurt quickly. A bunch of restaurants are cutting staff and I got caught in the cuts. And yes, selling either of my cars is a bandage. KBB on mine says 7900-9k, though I haven't done pricing in a while. One reason I was thinking not sell the Lincoln, is the fact that it costs next to nil to keep it, and it wouldn't bring much in its current state. The Fleetwood could bring enough money to make it a couple of months, theoretically. As for selling both and getting an ecobox, not going to happen. 1, between knee problems and a mediocre back, I'd never be comfortable. 2 With the price I'd be looking it, it'd be a used car, and I wouldn't know any of the problems it has, 2.5 I know what's wrong and mostly how to fix whats going on with my Linc and FW, 3 most ecoboxes don't carry enough stuff to be useful. If I'm catering, I need some cargo space. I think for now, I'm just going to try and hang on to both, and grab any jobs I can.
I see you are in Florida, as am I. I know its rough everywhere right now but Florida has been hit very hard. The real estate maket has created a devastating effect on all sorts of businesses. People are just not spending money on things they want, just the necessaties. With gas at an all time high and expected to get higher, the last thing people want is a land yacht with a V8. I go to auctions and they are just giving away SUV's and trucks. You hear people making comments on how they would never buy an SUV because of the gas mileage. For the first time EVER, I myself would rather own a car thats good on gas than V8 luxo cruiser or big truck for the time being. I'm passing up some great deals on Ford Expeditions especially, I've seen '01-'03 models in nice shape fetching under $2500. Just crazy!. I'm also seeing classic cars that were untouchable a few years ago falling in prices. I wish you luck finding a job and with your car situation bro. I know these are hard times.

hueterm
04-07-08, 09:30 PM
I've seen '01-'03 models in nice shape fetching under $2500.

Where, by chance....may need to book a trip...

Destroyer
04-07-08, 09:51 PM
Where, by chance....may need to book a trip...
Business/estate auctions mostly. Its a chance cause it is an auction and I would not recommend driving all the way here just to find one since you can probably find these types of auctions and deals close to where you live. Check http://www.auctionzip.com/ , type in your area code and the mile radius which you are willing to drive to check. Like I said, these are not car auctions, but liquidation auctions that sometimes have cars. I have seen many cars go for real cheap at this auction and it is pretty much all cars/trucks/machinery: http://www.tmauction.com/search.asp?inventorytype=C&startyear=&endyear=&make=&startmileage=&endmileage=&class=&SellerType=&searchsubmit=true

Mostly state/agency cars (good deals on police interceptors) but many dealer/private owner cars too.

hueterm
04-07-08, 10:00 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip...

Playdrv4me
04-08-08, 03:31 AM
YOU SELL NOTHING!

If you have a child, sell that! Or do as Dopestar said and sell your body, but you DO NOT SELL YOUR BABIES.

You eat ramen and rice and beans is what you do.

(Catch up with me if/when the Floridian market turns on me and I'm sure I'll be carless LOL)

Playdrv4me
04-08-08, 03:42 AM
I see you are in Florida, as am I. I know its rough everywhere right now but Florida has been hit very hard. The real estate maket has created a devastating effect on all sorts of businesses. People are just not spending money on things they want, just the necessaties. With gas at an all time high and expected to get higher, the last thing people want is a land yacht with a V8. I go to auctions and they are just giving away SUV's and trucks. You hear people making comments on how they would never buy an SUV because of the gas mileage. For the first time EVER, I myself would rather own a car thats good on gas than V8 luxo cruiser or big truck for the time being. I'm passing up some great deals on Ford Expeditions especially, I've seen '01-'03 models in nice shape fetching under $2500. Just crazy!. I'm also seeing classic cars that were untouchable a few years ago falling in prices. I wish you luck finding a job and with your car situation bro. I know these are hard times.

Its a buyers market for SUVs right now. If you can find a way to fit it in this is the time to get one. For example in my case the primary driver of my SUV is my mom who works like 2 miles down the street, but I get to take it for a spin on the weekends or at night. I decided to try a different approach than what we were doing so long as we're both in this living arrangement right now. I sold the Jeep and put that money in savings, and decided to buckle down and make the payments on both of "our" cars myself. We'll see how it goes.

Some dealers still seem to be oblivious to this trend however. I got 13,500 for my '03 Navigator which I was very pleased with, yet my '03 one owner H2 only cost me 19k and change (plus the negative I carried over). Same dealer has an 04 EXT in White Diamond with Nav, like new for 20. The irony is there's lots of dealers RETAILING their trucks right now for near auction prices or LESS. There were dealers in the Carolinas after my H2 before I grabbed it. Apparently tax-time is shitty at auctions, even with the fuel situation.

EcSTSatic
04-08-08, 08:50 AM

I hate to encourage Koz but I think he's one the right track. Fuel cost is a huge part of anyone's budget who is on a small income. Just put a pencil and paper to how much $$ you are shelling out just to get around.
Sell both and get something cheap on gas to minimize expenses.