: Curious....Gas and is it killing you w/ur Lade

srt
04-05-08, 08:22 PM
Well I don't know about you guys but gas here, in Northern Cali, is killing us. Man w/26gl of high octane it's a bitch. High octane is going for $4.09 at Chevron. What about all you other states? I have a hoopty, which is my commuter, so I'm cool for now. Hell even to fill that bad boy up it's $45.

ZaC851
04-06-08, 03:30 AM
if your putting high octane in your lade, your wasting your money Its not required and you wont notice a difference. Unless your running something like a supercharger with colder plugs and difference in timing there is no use to run anything more than 87 octane gas.

silversport
04-06-08, 07:38 AM
cost must be...not killing me here...yet...:)
Bill

DLE
04-06-08, 12:25 PM
Haha, just costed me $70 to fill up my EXT, and I still had a quarter tank left! I use Premium always and Chevron as well. I guess we get what we pay for...

dstinson
04-06-08, 12:33 PM
i always fill up with 92 octane (which is sometimes once a month or longer) and i can tell the diff, I will only put 92 octane because the truck responds better. M-F i roll the NGV (that's natural gas for you people).

DLE
04-06-08, 01:55 PM
Maybe I should invest in a Pinto? Or heck, moped or scooter. :D

ScoreBo
04-06-08, 03:28 PM
if your putting high octane in your lade, your wasting your money Its not required and you wont notice a difference. Unless your running something like a supercharger with colder plugs and difference in timing there is no use to run anything more than 87 octane gas.

This is straight out of the owners manual (page 6-3) and I have noticed a difference in 87 vs 92. For the 20 or cent difference per gallon, I don't think it is worth it:

Gasoline Octane
Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of
91 or higher for best performance. You may also use
middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may
be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you
may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive.
If it is bad enough, it can damage your engine.

ZaC851
04-06-08, 05:47 PM
This is straight out of the owners manual (page 6-3) and I have noticed a difference in 87 vs 92. For the 20 or cent difference per gallon, I don't think it is worth it:

Gasoline Octane
Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of
91 or higher for best performance. You may also use
middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may
be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you
may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive.
If it is bad enough, it can damage your engine.

Right. As I said before. 87 is fine for most people. Unless your pulling heavy things, or going offroad there isnt a point to running anything higher than 87. I'm well aware of what engine knock or "detonation" being the correct word here is and what it sounds like and as I said before, unless you running colder plugs or have retarded the timing...most people will never experience the detonation.

bigputzars
04-06-08, 06:44 PM
I have a 03 ext... and let me say one thing with the money I spend on gas every month I can pay for a condo with it.... my mpg is 10.7 .... with or without the 22inch rims I have on now the truck shows the same mpg... my friend has an 04 escalade and he is getting 13 mpg??!..... considering I spend at least 40 dollars a day on gas it would be nice to gain those extra couple miles on my mpg.... and premium by me 93 octane is at about 3.69 a gallon up to 4.00 a gallon in the city....

silversport
04-06-08, 06:46 PM
depends on what year your Esky is too...mine is the OBS (1999/2000) Chevy 350...87 is as good as it gets stock...
Bill

NAFTA
04-06-08, 07:07 PM
Now with summer coming up, I want to keep my ETC as my ballin car and get a GSX-R 600 motorcycle as a daily/commute driver, they get 35 mpg city and are fun as hell to drive, especially on one wheel.

Guyz1996deville
04-07-08, 01:11 PM
You guys are funny. I figure that I will spend a few more dollars on the gas instead of premature valve wear from heat, or a potencial hot spot on my picston from detonation. Why drive an excalade if you are that concerned with a few dollars a day. I go out and grab a drink after work and pay 8 bucks a cocktail. I could get rail booze but I really don't feel like the headache in the morning. Some thing with the truck, I don't feel like the headache down the road. Better safe than sorry I figure...

producerman
04-07-08, 02:10 PM
Interesting Question! I get this all the time when driving around or filling up at the pump. I am not conceded in anyway or a jerk when people ask me. My response is "If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a SMART CAR!" If you can afford to drive a Lade you should be able to afford to put the gas in.....end of story! I did not buy mine worrying one bit about the gas mileage. Yes it is my daily driver too! 2005 ESV

BTW - gas prices up here in Canada are: $1.20 per liter for 87. That is $4.54 per US gallon ($1.20 x 3.785).

Gas is expected to goto $6-$7 per gallon here this summer.

I just pull up to the pump and say just $100 please.

My2Cents!

Producerman

ZaC851
04-07-08, 02:23 PM
Interesting Question! I get this all the time when driving around or filling up at the pump. I am not conceded in anyway or a jerk when people ask me. My response is "If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a SMART CAR!" If you can afford to drive a Lade you should be able to afford to put the gas in.....end of story! I did not buy mine worrying one bit about the gas mileage. Yes it is my daily driver too! 2005 ESV

BTW - gas prices up here in Canada are: $1.20 per liter for 87. That is $4.54 per US gallon ($1.20 x 3.785).

Gas is expected to goto $6-$7 per gallon here this summer.

I just pull up to the pump and say just $100 please.

My2Cents!

Producerman

No sense is pissing the extra 20 dollar s or whatever you'll pay for premium when is doesnt make a difference. If I'm getting the same results with no detonation with running 87. Theres no sense in my paying 40-50 cents extra just to say i running 93.

By all means if you're getting detonation while running cheaper gas then yea, run a higher octane, but I have a feeling most people here wouldnt know what detonation even sounds like anyway..

producerman
04-07-08, 02:38 PM
I forgot to mention I just run 87 octane.....never have ran 91 or 92 and it runs fine.

hcvone
04-08-08, 09:02 AM
I lived in Switzerland for 3 years, gas is a bargain here, was paying around $6.00 a gallon in 99', don't think we will ever see the $2.00 range again. We try to drive less, although it's tough when you have homes several hundred miles apart, even my snowmobile gas was a killer this year, needless to say I was paying $10.00 a gallon at many places back in the woods. :(

producerman
04-08-08, 02:31 PM
Ouch!

MDecker
04-22-11, 12:24 AM
I'm with you... if you can't afford to put gas in it then you shouldn't have bought one in the first place. I drive my ESV as a daily driver 102 miles a day. So I know what I'm talking about. 15.1 mpg. Do the math. Approx 35 gals a a week times $4.00/gal, $140/week

jordan00escalade
04-22-11, 12:50 AM
Here in Northern California, Bay Area.. I'm paying 4.29 for premium. We knew it consumed a lot of gas before we bought it, we knew they offered 3 different engine types.. I wanted the biggest one. Wasn't really expecting the gas prices to get this far out of hand, but it was our decision and we did it for us. Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.. lol Just cause someone says "I use 93" doesn't mean you need to start using premium, and vise versa.. Do what works for you. I believe it was SUB who mentioned to someone "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" do what works for you. Sharing ideas and what works for us as individuals is the most productive thing about this forum, be simple if you want and put people down cause they don't do it the way you do.. that's a part of life though. I'm getting a bit off topic now, but I have the 6.0 liter and don't mind paying the extra at the pump for piece of mind. That works for me.

N0DIH
04-22-11, 01:23 AM
You should have a Suburban! I have a 42 gallon tank!!!! At current gas prices here (3.97 for 87) that is a whopping $166 if the tank was dry.

OWCH!!!

Well I don't know about you guys but gas here, in Northern Cali, is killing us. Man w/26gl of high octane it's a bitch. High octane is going for $4.09 at Chevron. What about all you other states? I have a hoopty, which is my commuter, so I'm cool for now. Hell even to fill that bad boy up it's $45.

gmercedesbenz
04-23-11, 12:20 AM
If you can afford to drive a Lade you should be able to afford to put the gas in.....end of story!

:word: