: Which Northstar do I have?

lapwizrus
04-05-08, 06:56 PM
Hello everyone.

I posted a reply on a similar topic in the Engine Technical board, but I thought I might get more help here. Here is my story....

A couple of months ago I bought a used 99 Northstar that I was going to put into my 98 STS. The engine was advertised as a 99 VIN 9 Northstar with around 38000 miles. So, today I am getting everything ready for the swap and notice that the fuel rails are completely different. Well, I did some more research and it looks like the engine that they sent me might be a 96 ( and I doubt that it has 38000 miles on it).

How can I find out the actual miles and is this the 275 or the 300 hp version? I looked that another thread where a guy came up with all the info just from the code etched on the block.

Well my code is 6tu800193 and I would really appreciate any help in figuring out how many miles are on this thing and which northstar is it.

Thanks.

chubbyranger
04-06-08, 09:09 AM
If AJ is around he can run it through GMVIS. Otherwise, I believe the numbers you have include the last eight digits of the VIN of the car it came from. You may be able to call a Cadillac dealer and have them run through the same check. They should be able to tell you year and model its from and have any recall or GM service history for the car and the associated mileage that was logged. They may also be able to reconstuct the full VIN for you and you can plunk down your $15 for a Carfax and see if there is any information there that would tell you how many miles was on the car. If you know what model the car was supposed to have come out of (I think VIN 9 was only in Concours, ETC or STS in 99) you can possibly piece the VIN back together by finding the leading 8 or 9 digits from other cars (I think they should be the same) and feeding it to Carfax. You can do that part for free since Carfax will tell you if there are records or whether the VIN is valid for free - you have to pay to actually see the records.

Please note the number of times I said "may" and "think" in this post - I "am" completely full of crap if the block stamping number is not the same as the VIN - I just pieced this little brain fart together from reading the other thread you posted on.

And FWIW the fuel rails on my 99 STS are nylon. If you have steel rails I think you are correct that it is a different motor. Did the seller say it is a 99 VIN 9 N* or is compatible with 99 VIN 9 N*? The cams and exhaust are different between 9 and Y VINS but I believe the block is the same.

lapwizrus
04-06-08, 10:18 AM
The fuel rails on the engine that I bought are steel and on my 98 STS, they are nylon. So, it looks like the place that I got this engine from totally screwed me over or they made a mistake, as they clearly told me multiple times that this was a 99 VIN 9 N* with 38000 miles on it.

I'm calling the dealer on Monday and hopefully can find out something about the car that the engine came from.

Thanks for the help.

Submariner409
04-06-08, 12:26 PM
There was a recall in the late 90's to replace the nylon/plastic fuel rails with steel.

lapwizrus
04-06-08, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the recall. You are correct that there was a recall for 1995 - 1996 Deville, Sevillle, Eldorado and 1995 - 1997 Olds Aurora. Bulletin # 04014B. The fix was to replace the nylon with stainless steel.

I did not find any recalls for 98+, so they must have fixed the problem with the nylon cracking.

chubbyranger
04-06-08, 02:04 PM
The only recall on 98-99 (STS at least) is the alternator. Another good question to ask the dealer when you have them on the phone is whether your STS had it done.

lapwizrus
04-09-08, 10:15 AM
So, I got the correct VIN ( the engine block ID was actually 0TU800193) and looked it up on carfax. The engine that I got is from a 96 Seville STS that had around 120,000 on it in 2005. Ouch.

Not looking forward to talking to the place that sold me the engine.

krimson_cardnal
04-09-08, 11:22 AM
Be brave lapwizrus. You'll surprise them with the info you've been able to discover. Might even be more detail than they know about the engine. Just figure out what you expect them to do for you before placing the call. You've seemed to have caught them with their pants down, what excuse could they offer for not making it right for you??? Hold your ground, correct provable info is power... K_C

Destroyer
04-10-08, 10:16 PM
If AJ is around he can run it through GMVIS.
Or he may may be able to make a pretty graph of the number to show other stuff that nobody can really understand of give a crap about.

Submariner409
04-10-08, 10:30 PM
Destroyer, Please grow up and offer constructive criticism and/or advice to members. Your latest string of posts is nothing more than self-serving juvenile pap.

Too many people spend too much time in CF trying to help rather than having to read your misinformed (sic) crap.

krimson_cardnal
04-11-08, 12:04 AM
Gotta be the change of seasons sub. Seen it too much lately. Sumpum's up, new moon possibly. K_C

tateos
04-11-08, 01:04 PM
Destroyer, Please grow up and offer constructive criticism and/or advice to members. Your latest string of posts is nothing more than self-serving juvenile pap.

Too many people spend too much time in CF trying to help rather than having to read your misinformed (sic) crap.

Yeah - please be nice to AJ