: 94jN* What do I use for a sealant when I put the intake manifold back on?

kls
04-05-08, 07:44 PM
I'm the grandma from yesterdays post of "white smoke". Ranger was alot of help about the fpr. Makes sense. But the link is for a 95 that has a beauty cover and my 94 has a functional intake manifold. When the dealer serv. dept. put a sealent on it last year it blew out on one side and I had to give it back for them to fix. I don't want to make the same mistake. What am I supposed to use? Thanks to all for the help! Kay

Ranger
04-05-08, 09:08 PM
Kay,
No sealant that I am aware of. Just the gasket and rubber grommets on the bolts. Be sure to torque them to the correct specs. They are designed to give in the event of an over pressurization (backfire) and allow the manifold cover to lift in order to depressurize it.

kls
04-06-08, 12:09 AM
Ranger, on this one the gasket is factory pressed into the cover and a new cover is $850.00 and the Cadillac parts dept. says that if it damaged it should be replaced. But like I said above thats not what their service dept. did, and I noticed it was blown out on one side. I think I'll give it to the last mchanic I had it to and just tell him to check the fpr and hope he know what sealant to use. Also he has the gauges to check the sensors while he's in there. Thanks for all your help! Kay

Ranger
04-06-08, 05:43 PM
Kay,
You might check a bone yard for a replacement. Also seems to me that I saw a post or two hear of people parting out cars, though I don't remember what years. You would need a '93 or '94. If you go the sealant route, good ole RTV should do it, but I'd prefer the replacement. Best of luck.