: 94 N* Help white smoke out of exhaust

kls
04-04-08, 08:22 PM
I need help! After the motor is warmed up about 2-3 blocks white smoke pours out of the exhaust at idle and when I excelerate. On freeway or open road at high speed it does not smoke. As soon as I slow down it starts again. I have taken it out for a WOT more than once only helps for a block or so. This is the 3rd time this has happened. The dealer said stuck piston cost me $950.00 for nothing! When I saw they had not put the manifold cover back right, loose bolts, etc. I took it back, they kept for a week and it did not smoke when I got it back. They would not tell me what they did but it did not smoke for about 1,000 miles. Took it to a differant mechanic, he replaced the map sensor, this is the 3rd time in 1 1/2 years, decarbonization cleaning oil and changed #4 & #8 spark plugs because they were fouled also the 3rd time. The white smoke smells like unburned gas. My mpg went way down too. What could be causing this. No codes come up only history. Please guys help this grandma who loves to put the peddle to the metal! Thanks Kay

Ranger
04-04-08, 09:14 PM
Kay,
You are obviously running very rich. Go to the Tech Tips section. There is a thread on how to test for a bad FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). It is easy and you can do it yourself. If that is OK, then there is another for checking for a leaky injector. This may be beyond you (I don't know). In either case, you are dumping unmetered fuel into the engine and the problem is either the FPR or an injector(s).

kls
04-04-08, 10:08 PM
Thanks Ranger, I found your link with pics. I'm going to check it out and see if it is the FPR. I sure hope it is!

Ranger
04-04-08, 10:11 PM
That would be the lessor of two evils (cheaper and easier). That said, injectors are pretty reliable. My money is on the FPR. let us know how you make out.

You wouldn't by chance be the infamous "Little Ole Lady from Pasadena" would you?

kls
04-04-08, 10:38 PM
No, that was problably my Aunt Emily 80+ and she drove around Hollywood streets @ 60-70 mph. I guess speeding runs in the family, my kids and grandkids are the same way!