: New Coolant

jevanof
04-04-08, 07:36 PM
There is a coolant that they say can be used in any type of car, has anyone used this, I dont want to put dex in my 98 STS, I just re did the head gaskets and the car is clear of all dex at this point.

Ranger
04-04-08, 09:07 PM
Don't know anything about those universal coolants. Why not use Dex?

jevanof
04-04-08, 09:54 PM
I just never heard anything good about dex

Ranger
04-04-08, 10:01 PM
The Dex problems are in cast iron engines. Dex does not plate the cooling system with silicates, so if the system gets low, the cast iron oxidizes. Then the coolant sloshes through the system and washes the oxidation off. Cycles repeats and repeats till the rust clogs the radiator. This is not a problem in an aluminum engine. Dex is fine in your car.

Timo1124
04-06-08, 04:35 PM
Jevanof,

I have an '02 STS with 87k that I recently did a coolant flush and refill on. It came with Dex in it originally, and after having a few other friend's intake manifold gaskets blow on various GM cars, I called my local mechanic who I highly trust. He basically stated the same thing Ranger just mentioned about Dex being bad in cast iron engines, but now claims that the newer versions of Dex are supposed to be a lot better. However, he recommended that I flush the Dex, and refill with Peak brand 'Global' coolant which is a universal coolant that can be added to any color, and also a little cheaper. This 'Global' coolant does not have the same 5 year/150k guarnatee like Dex does though. I think Prestone also makes another universal coolant that can be added to any color.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the exact differences, for all I know this stuff could be the exact same as Dex - I'm just going by what my trusted mechanic says, and he recommended I flush out the Dex and refill with Peak Global. Hope this helps - do some calling around and see what mechanics in your area say. One thing I know for sure is, if you've only had Dex in there, don't switch back to the original green coolant that's been around forever- Cadillac says you need to stick with Dex or a universal extended coolant.

Tim

Ranger
04-06-08, 05:06 PM
Universal green coolant will work just fine. Just have to change it every two years.