Cadillac Owners Forum banner

No Charge Light

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
hey guys, i have a 1987 fleetwood brougham and the no charge light has been turning on after like 30 minutes of driving.

i went to autozone and they told me the battery is fine and the alternator is fine.

after 30 minutes of driving or so......my radio just turns off(custom radio) and then the car feels likes its going to turn off......and then when i turn it off it does not turn on again because the battery is dead

so basically after every drive i have to charge the battery...

anybody know what this can be

#2 ·
actually yes that's gonna be your voltage regulator. it controls the charging of your battery from the alternator. i had the same problem on my 8.2 liter. not sure about an 87 but it might be on the passenger side wheel well in a small black box. just switch it out its like 15 bucks. hope this works

#3 ·
Duh!! the regulator is like built into the alternator. So assuming the belt is in good condition and tight, you need to replace the alternator. If you just want to replace it once, get a DELCO rebuilt, not an Autozone or Pepboys one. Also, just to rule out everything make sure the wiring connections are secure at the alternator. The large wire provides 12 volts to it and if loose will cause intermittant no charge. Assuming its the original alt. the amp rating is stamped into the case. It will be like 90A or 100A 0r 80A. make sure the replacement is the same or higher a rating.

#4 ·
thanks for the replies and i forgot to mention that its not the factory alternator...its a new one i got a couple of months ago..im not sure if its the voltage regulator but i switched a piece it had connected to the alternator that has a red cable which is the big one thats connected to the screw and a white cable which goes somewhere else....its like a plug with two openings

#5 ·
Since you replaced the alt a few months ago, and based on the symptoms you are having, I think you have one of two problems:

- you have a bad alternator (hopefully under warranty)
- your belt is too loose from when you installed that alt, allowing it to slip at higher RPMs, causing the battery to discharge. The alternator and the battery test ok. (I think this is it )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.