: Opinions on Head Shaving

Murphyg
04-04-08, 12:04 AM
I know that RunningOnEMT also shaves his head yearly.
And was curious as to weather or not there are many others.

And if so.......what do you use to keep your scalp smooth, shiny, and nick free ?

There are so many shaving systems out there. But cant seem to find one that is particular for a scalp.

Im curious as to what works best for those that chose to shave ?

dkozloski
04-04-08, 12:47 AM
Norelco or Remington.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-04-08, 02:05 AM
I had an old Remington that sucked. Got a Norelco for christmas this year and its way better.

CIWS
04-04-08, 10:58 AM
Just don't get an Al Qaeda. :eek:

;)

AMGoff
04-04-08, 01:25 PM
If you're losing your hair, then by all means... go for it. Otherwise, embrace you hair and be wholly thankful it's all still there!

93DevilleUSMC
04-05-08, 05:26 AM
I personally use a Gillette M3 Power razor and razor blade. The razor handle itself vibrates intensely, resulting in more surface friction, and therefore a smoother shave. For shaving cream, I use a hot lather machine which heats the cream, yielding to results: the first is more heat and friction, which allows a smoother and more thorough shave than that allowed by cold lather, and the second result being that good feeling of warm substance on skin. It's like shaving in heaven, people.

I do this because my job and extracurricular activities require a very professional, sharp appearance, and I find a cleanly shaven face and skull do be very useful to that end.

Dadillac
04-05-08, 06:01 PM
I have been shaving my head for just short of a year now. I use Schick Extreme III disposable razors (they flex to conform to the shape of your head) which take less time to shave than regular razors. And I use Shave Secret shaving oil that I found in Wal Mart. I cannot speak for all, but I found that my scalp is rather durable. As in it doesn't cut or nick very easily. In the 11 months I have shaved, I have been cut twice. That is all.

As far as getting smooth, and staying smooth, you need a razor. Forget electrics. They will not get your scalp baby butt smooth. To stay smooth, you need to shave everyday. I shave every 2-4 days. My hair is rather light (a mix of light brown and gray/white) and doesn't show very much as it is growing back in. I do feel stubble growing back about 6 hours after getting completely slick.

I hope this was helpful to you, and to others who may be interested in this info. Before I shaved for the first time, I was helped by another forum member. Good luck

Don

hueterm
04-06-08, 12:12 AM
Welcome to the Cadillac Forums Barbershop -- please have a seat! :ninja:

93DevilleUSMC
04-06-08, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the Cadillac Forums Barbershop -- please have a seat! :ninja:

We offer two hairstyles: short, and short!

Murphyg
04-07-08, 07:08 PM
If you're losing your hair, then by all means... go for it. Otherwise, embrace you hair and be wholly thankful it's all still there!

Not necessarily loosing it per say. But it has thinned out. Nothing like a fruit bowl or anything like that.
Have really just gotten tired of it. Have had it half way down my back for more years than I can remember and it finally became a pain to deal with.
Have tried it short and didnt like it. Different types of styles and trims and didnt like it. And again that way was also a hassle. Having to return to the barber once or twice a week isnt for me.
At least when it was long I only had to deal with the split ends every now and then. And that could be done at home for no charge :bouncy:

So I didnt want it long any more, and never like the shorter style, so figured the next rout would be to remove it all together.
And have to admit that I like it that way. As does the wife apparently :eek:....Kojac was right. A lot of women really do have a thing for bald men...Go figure :highfive:

I grow it back over the winter though. Usually start round first snow fall. Then it comes off in the Spring. It easily gets to the shoulders in that short time. It grows quite fast.

Should mention too that there is now quite a bit of "silver" in there. And that is another reason why I prefer to shave it. I have found that when silver hair gets long it is not as soft. Once it turns color it becomes coarser and no amount of conditioning helps it much. Again...its just a pain.

Murphyg
04-07-08, 07:17 PM
I personally use a Gillette M3 Power razor and razor blade. The razor handle itself vibrates intensely, resulting in more surface friction, and therefore a smoother shave. For shaving cream, I use a hot lather machine which heats the cream, yielding to results: the first is more heat and friction, which allows a smoother and more thorough shave than that allowed by cold lather, and the second result being that good feeling of warm substance on skin. It's like shaving in heaven, people.

I do this because my job and extracurricular activities require a very professional, sharp appearance, and I find a cleanly shaven face and skull do be very useful to that end.

Im now using one of the Gillette 3s....but not the power one. Fussion I think its called.
It has been working quite well for me. But thought I would ask what others may be using.
To be honest, Ive seen the commercials for the power one, but have always been skeptical as to how much of a difference it would/could really make ?
Have you by chance used the Fussion as well ? And is there really that much of a difference ?

dkozloski
04-07-08, 07:17 PM
Not necessarily loosing it per say. But it has thinned out. Nothing like a fruit bowl or anything like that.
Have really just gotten tired of it. Have had it half way down my back for more years than I can remember and it finally became a pain to deal with.
Have tried it short and didnt like it. Different types of styles and trims and didnt like it. And again that way was also a hassle. Having to return to the barber once or twice a week isnt for me.
At least when it was long I only had to deal with the split ends every now and then. And that could be done at home for no charge :bouncy:

So I didnt want it long any more, and never like the shorter style, so figured the next rout would be to remove it all together.
And have to admit that I like it that way. As does the wife apparently :eek:....Kojac was right. A lot of women really do have a thing for bald men...Go figure :highfive:

I grow it back over the winter though. Usually start round first snow fall. Then it comes off in the Spring. It easily gets to the shoulders in that short time. It grows quite fast.

Should mention too that there is now quite a bit of "silver" in there. And that is another reason why I prefer to shave it. I have found that when silver hair gets long it is not as soft. Once it turns color it becomes coarser and no amount of conditioning helps it much. Again...its just a pain.
Old Hippie turns OddJob.:D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-08, 07:22 PM
I hear the mullet is due for a return.

AMGoff
04-07-08, 07:46 PM

I know exactly what you're saying.... I just couldn't completely "Bic" it. I haven't been to the barber in years... I just keep my handy clippers in the bathroom and buzz it all every 2-3 weeks... 1/4" in the winter and 1/8" in the summer... although I have to agree with the silver/grey ones... they're definitely starting to be a bummer!

Murphyg
04-07-08, 07:51 PM
I have been shaving my head for just short of a year now. I use Schick Extreme III disposable razors (they flex to conform to the shape of your head) which take less time to shave than regular razors. And I use Shave Secret shaving oil that I found in Wal Mart. I cannot speak for all, but I found that my scalp is rather durable. As in it doesn't cut or nick very easily. In the 11 months I have shaved, I have been cut twice. That is all.

As far as getting smooth, and staying smooth, you need a razor. Forget electrics. They will not get your scalp baby butt smooth. To stay smooth, you need to shave everyday. I shave every 2-4 days. My hair is rather light (a mix of light brown and gray/white) and doesn't show very much as it is growing back in. I do feel stubble growing back about 6 hours after getting completely slick.

I hope this was helpful to you, and to others who may be interested in this info. Before I shaved for the first time, I was helped by another forum member. Good luck

Don

Ive been doin this for a few years now, and have tried a few different things.
My wife got me an electric a while back. One that was recommended from someone at her work. Mind you, she didnt get the top of the line self cleaning one. But Im not sure if it would have made much of a difference. Ive used different electrics on my face (foils, rotaries), and always with the same results. Irritates the hell out of my skin. Can feel it getting hot. And has never been as smooth as a blade.

I hear what your sayin bout everyday to stay smooth LOL. Sometimes its not even 6 hours. Ill shave when I get home then be touching up before I go to bed. Have 2 or 3 spots that always come in first.

Ive tried the Schick Quatro but it doesnt compare to the Gillette Fussion.
So far, Its the Fussion that has been the best. And it has that extra single straight razor on the back for beard trimming etc......
But as cuts go :eek::eek::eek::eek:

One day....thought I was done....Felt a small patch at the back just below the top....The mirror can be deceiving as to whats left, right, up, and down .....
I had the razor upside down and swiped across the back....
I didnt feel any pain....but it just didnt sound right......then there was the warm trickle down the back of my head and onto my neck. :bighead:
What a freakin mess !! Bled through night. But healed up in a couple days and with no scar.

Had a guy at work tell me that his friend goes to a shop that still uses a straight razor. Apparently the smoothest and longest lasting shave he has ever gotten. But again.....have to go there, have to pay for it blah blah...

Another one at work, (doesnt shave his head), but swears by the old style where you insert your own blades and screw it down closed from the bottom of the handle. Im thinking that could be dangerous when reaching round back to areas that you cant see.

Think Ill look into that Schick Extreme. I like that flex feature.

Red_October_7000
04-08-08, 12:13 AM
I was frankly amazed when they brought the hot lather machine back. One turned up in my grandfather's estate from ages ago, new in its package. My dad kindly informed me that they had the unfortunate habbit of blowing up and blowing the nuts off the men who were preparing to shave... The very idea of heating an aerosol can says to me stay away from such a device. Other than that I've heard the old Gillette Atras with the swiveling head (the handle is hard to find but the blades are sold in about 50% of major name-brand pharmacies) were good for shaving the ol' bean.

93DevilleUSMC
04-08-08, 02:20 AM
Im now using one of the Gillette 3s....but not the power one. Fussion I think its called.
It has been working quite well for me. But thought I would ask what others may be using.
To be honest, Ive seen the commercials for the power one, but have always been skeptical as to how much of a difference it would/could really make ?
Have you by chance used the Fussion as well ? And is there really that much of a difference ?

No, I haven't tried Fusion yet. I'd rather get the M3s for the lower price.

dkozloski
04-08-08, 02:43 AM
It used to be that shaving your head was a way to raise the compression on your engine. Now it's a way to make your head look like a butt cheek.

93DevilleUSMC
04-08-08, 06:38 AM
It used to be that shaving your head was a way to raise the compression on your engine. Now it's a way to make your head look like a butt cheek.

Ask the ricer kids: it adds 15 horsepower.

Murphyg
04-09-08, 09:11 PM
No, I haven't tried Fusion yet. I'd rather get the M3s for the lower price.
Didnt know that the powered ones were more expensive than the regular fusions. Gonna have to check that out.

I remember reading an article a while back, about a new product specifically geared towards men who shave there heads.
Had to be at least a few months back. But if I recall it was still only in the U.S. but about to be launched elsewhere. I should have saved that article. It looked like a really cool kit.

Murphyg
04-09-08, 09:52 PM
Just found what I was talkin about.

Its called Head Blade.

When looking at the pics in the article it looked quite large. But its actually very small. Smaller than the palm of your hand.
Once I found out the name, then typed it in, I was amazed at how much came up. As well as how many celebrities and pro athletes use it.

Here's the link to there site : http://www.headblade.com/headbladers.html

Anyone here ever heard of it ?

Dadillac
04-09-08, 10:12 PM
Just found what I was talkin about.

Its called Head Blade.

When looking at the pics in the article it looked quite large. But its actually very small. Smaller than the palm of your hand.
Once I found out the name, then typed it in, I was amazed at how much came up. As well as how many celebrities and pro athletes use it.

Here's the link to there site : http://www.headblade.com/headbladers.html

Anyone here ever heard of it ?

Many folks use the Head Blade and love it. I have one, and it sits in my medicine cabinet collecting dust. I posted earlier that I nicked myself a couple of times. Two times was with the Head Blade. I will never use it again. But your mileage may vary

Don

Murphyg
04-09-08, 10:49 PM
Many folks use the Head Blade and love it. I have one, and it sits in my medicine cabinet collecting dust. I posted earlier that I nicked myself a couple of times. Two times was with the Head Blade. I will never use it again. But your mileage may vary

Don

I watched a few of the videos on the different sites. And one thing that couldnt be missed, was how specific they were on how to use it. Without a doubt, instruction is a good thing.
But there did seem to be much emphasis on "exact" use. As though any deviation "whatsoever" could produce undesirable results.

So guess your sayin that its not really as easy as they portray ?

93DevilleUSMC
04-10-08, 12:51 AM
Didnt know that the powered ones were more expensive than the regular fusions. Gonna have to check that out.

I remember reading an article a while back, about a new product specifically geared towards men who shave there heads.
Had to be at least a few months back. But if I recall it was still only in the U.S. but about to be launched elsewhere. I should have saved that article. It looked like a really cool kit.

It breaks down as follows in ascending order of price and, IMO, quality: you have Gillette M3, Gillette M3 Turbo, Gillette M3 Power, and Gillette Fusion.

I've tried all of them up to M3 power. I'll try Fusion soon.

RunningOnEMT
04-10-08, 12:59 AM
schick quattro and a lather cup/brush

Dadillac
04-10-08, 03:14 PM
I watched a few of the videos on the different sites. And one thing that couldnt be missed, was how specific they were on how to use it. Without a doubt, instruction is a good thing.
But there did seem to be much emphasis on "exact" use. As though any deviation "whatsoever" could produce undesirable results.

So guess your sayin that its not really as easy as they portray ?

Not sure. I used it as instructed, placing no pressure on the blade end, and minimal on the wheel end. But when it didn't cut me, there was no benefit to using it. It did not provide any better results than a regular razor would. The only difference is you push the blade versus dragging it. I have my routine down to about 5-10 minutes to do a complete shave. That reminds me that I am three days overdo on my "haircut". When I go to shave (like right now) the Head Blade stuff goes in the trash. I am tired of looking at it.

Don