: Government Safety Recall website

Submariner409
04-03-08, 07:09 PM
Lately in CF there have been a number of questions concerning vehicle safety recalls. Here's a site which allows you to enter your particular vehicle model and find out if any recalls have been issued.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Enjoy.........

tman2093
06-17-08, 01:19 AM
the 99 sevilles have a generator recall, saying it can start a fire even when off. Mine has not been fixed apparently, as I replaced my ac compressor today, my socket wrench bumped into whay looks like a ground post. Sparks EVERYWHERE, melted a corner of my socket. I did not feel as though i had been electrocuted though. Disconnected the battery, needless to say.

Submariner409
06-17-08, 09:45 AM
That wire/post you hit is the 10 or 8 gauge DC charging wire from the output side of the voltage regulator/diode pack which is connected directly to the battery. Hope you didn't damage anything because alternators do not like being short-circuited.

Moderator, do these two posts need to go to Electrical ?????

ewill3rd
06-17-08, 09:49 AM
Use the website above as a guide, recalls are issued by VIN, not by year. While some cars from a certain model year may be affected, NOT ALL will be.
That means if you see a recall for 99 Sevilles and you have one, that doesn't necessarily mean it applies to your car.
Call your dealer to confirm that the recall applies to your specific vehicle and if it does make an appointment to get it fixed.

Shorting wires connected to the positive battery post to ground is unhealty, lucky all you ruined was a socket.
That probably is the charge wire on the back of the generator. it should have a plastic cover on it, if someone has been in there they may have left the cap off.

tman2093
06-17-08, 01:23 PM
The cap was loose, I did replace it. Car runs and charges fine. I'm a lucky one I guess.