: northstar gone bad....AHHHHH

ryancaddy99
04-03-08, 05:59 PM
Well, looks like my DeVille with the northstar engine is going, with only 82000 miles. The engine ticks/knocks when warm, rough cold idle. Took it my mechanic. He put on stethoscopes and showed me where the noise was coming from. RIGHT UNDER THE ENGINE! Sounds like something tapping the oil pan. So, I have an after market warranty called Eagle Warranty. They want to put in a used engine. The dealer found one out of a wreck. Its a 2000 northstar with 65,000 miles. What do you think? I told them I wanted a rebuilt engine. I found a Promar engine from http://www.promarengine.com/. They are in the same state as me. I am still driving the car. You cant tell anything while your driving but come to a stop, you can hear it. Any thoughts?

krimson_cardnal
04-03-08, 06:14 PM
Year, model, driving habits - more info on vehicle might help. Could be a whole bunch of things. What reason have they given you on replacing it, just because it's making a tcking sound??? K_C

codewize
04-03-08, 08:55 PM
More info would help. I'm not thinking a noise constitutes and engine replacement. The N* is a noisy engine to begin with. You'd probably go deaf if you put a stethoscope on mine.

Not really but they are pretty noisy engines and the likelihood of something in the bottom end being bad is almost 0%. If you have a failing bottom end it'll be the first one I've ever heard of.

misfit6794
04-03-08, 08:55 PM
Does it tick after it is shut off, or while its running? Its normal for ticking after the motor has been shut off, on any car. Unless its a valve tap, or the engine isn't running right, I wouldn't replace the engine quite yet, especially with a used one.

ryancaddy99
04-06-08, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay. Its a 1999 Deville. It starts making a ticking noise after its warmed up and then a knocking sound, not loud though. Plus, looks like I am getting an oil leak. The noise almost sounds like wrist pin slap, piston slap (does have the cold) or a valve tap. I tried WOT treatment. The engine that they want to replace it with is a 2000 with 65000 miles on it. Its been resealed. All new gaskets. AHHHH!!!!:banghead:

chubbyranger
04-06-08, 04:17 AM
If it can be done (I recall AJ posting that you can't interchange pre-2000 with 2000+) why not? You lower your odds on headgaskets with a motor design that is the newer block casting and revised headbolts. It has fewer miles. Not seeing the downside yet. In general I would bet your warranty company is betting that its cheaper to just replace the motor than have somebody tear down yours 2-3 times to try to solve all of the problems. Price out N* motors from the yards www.car-part.com and you can start to see the logic.

zonie77
04-06-08, 12:27 PM
There were some significant changes from 99 to 00. While it can be swapped it is not a simple bolt in.

codewize
04-09-08, 07:18 PM
If you can put a 2000+ engine in your 99 and someone else is picking up the tab, do it. Fast before they change their mind.

If you're paying for it I'm still not convinced there's a problem with your engine. All the things you mention are very very unlikely to be wrong with a N*. I'd want to see proof before I did anything with that.

I can tell you this, wrist pins don't make noise for very long before they let go. I'm talking a few miles at best.

Rods bearings can knock for a while but they'll get worse and worse as time goes on.

tateos
04-09-08, 07:29 PM
Carbon?

Destroyer
04-09-08, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay. Its a 1999 Deville. It starts making a ticking noise after its warmed up and then a knocking sound, not loud though. Plus, looks like I am getting an oil leak. The noise almost sounds like wrist pin slap, piston slap (does have the cold) or a valve tap. I tried WOT treatment. The engine that they want to replace it with is a 2000 with 65000 miles on it. Its been resealed. All new gaskets. AHHHH!!!!:banghead:Dont get alarmed! Its just an honesty feature GM put into the Northstar. The motor is telling you its a big pile of crap in morse code.

codewize
04-09-08, 11:07 PM
I think you should be banned for that. :tisk:

Dont get alarmed! Its just an honesty feature GM put into the Northstar. The motor is telling you its a big pile of crap in morse code.

caddysornothin49
04-10-08, 03:02 AM
:stirpot: