Cadillac Owners Forum banner

86 Fleetwood Brougham Power Window Problem

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lochenjons 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm working on my aunt's 86 Fleetwood Brougham drivers window problem. The window operates fine for about the first 6 inches, then it stops going down and the motor makes a loud ratcheting type of noise. It will go up fine from this 6 inch point.

I took the door panel off and the window does not look to be binding or off the tracks. It just stops at that 6 inch point then makes that loud ratcheting/clicking noise at the motor.

All parts that I can see of that long plastic drive tape (not sure what it's called) appear to be fine (no broken/worn out slots, not out the the regulator channel, etc.).

Anyone have any ideas about what can be causing this? It happened all of a sudden.

If the motor needs to come out, does the regulator also have to come out? Any suggestions on how to get the motor out (I tried searching but didn't get anywhere). I assume drill the rivets out, then replace with nuts and bolts.

Thanks for any help.
Rich

See less See more
#4 ·
For the benefit of others, I'll post that the problem is resolved. I drilled out the rivets and removed the regulator/motor assembly then tried it on the bench. The motor had an internal gear problem, the regulator tape was fine. I replaced the motor and all is well now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.