: Cadillac to use BMW engines

Lord Cadillac
04-02-08, 12:36 PM
Has anyone heard that Cadillac may be using BMW engines in the near future? I'm guessing mainly for it's V8s since the Northstar is almost gone...

Any thoughts?

http://cadillacenthusiastmagazine.com/cadillac-magazine/2008/04/02/confirmed-bmw-talking-with-gm-about-supplying-engines/

gothicaleigh
04-02-08, 01:29 PM
Has anyone heard that Cadillac may be using BMW engines in the near future? I'm guessing mainly for it's V8s since the Northstar is almost gone...

The 1st was yesterday Sal. http://www.8thdaycreations.com/images/gothicaleigh/gothiraspberry.gif

Any thoughts?

-We want their sixes, not their eights.

-Hydrogen cars? BMW and GM are the two companies pushing the hardest for hydrogen.

-BMW, Daimler, and GM were also working together on a hybrid system a while back. This could be the result of that.

Lord Cadillac
04-02-08, 01:43 PM
Why the sixes? What about our 3.6 direct injection engine? What about their 4.4 twin turbo v8? :p

RunningOnEMT
04-02-08, 01:46 PM
i want their twin turbo 12

dkozloski
04-02-08, 02:54 PM
Back in the day there were a lot of luxury car makers that never built an engine of their own. One that comes to mind is Duesenberg. Every Duesenberg that ever rolled down the street had a Lycoming engine. Others used Continental and Franklin. Cord and Auborn used Lycoming as well. Everything old is new again.

Florian
04-02-08, 04:14 PM
I want an aircraft (Conti / Lyco) motor in my next caddy, just so it needs 100 hr inspections......

F

dkozloski
04-02-08, 10:45 PM
I want an aircraft (Conti / Lyco) motor in my next caddy, just so it needs 100 hr inspections......

F
It won't need 100 hr. inspections unless it's operated commercially.

orconn
04-02-08, 10:51 PM
Back in the day there were a lot of luxury car makers that never built an engine of their own. One that comes to mind is Duesenberg. Every Duesenberg that ever rolled down the street had a Lycoming engine. Others used Continental and Franklin. Cord and Auborn used Lycoming as well. Everything old is new again.

Sorry Koz, Duesenberg made their own engines. Fred and Augie Duesenberg were famous for their engines and their race cars. You are confusing dusenberg's sister makes in E.L. Cord's Cord Auburn Duesenberg Automobile Co. The Cord definitely used Lycoming engines in their cars and I believe so did Auburn. The Lycoming Engine company was one of the companies comprising E.L. Cord's conglomerate in the 1930's, which was also into aviation and finance as well.

orconn
04-02-08, 10:59 PM
While built by Rolls Royce, the Rolls Royce automobiles, when they went to V-8's used GM's Kettering V-8 (Cadillac and Oldsmobile early on) under liscence and also used GM's hydromatic auto transmission. I personally am very fond of BMW's straight sixes, I prefer them over the V-6 configuration used in most American cars.

dkozloski
04-02-08, 11:53 PM
Sorry Koz, Duesenberg made their own engines. Fred and Augie Duesenberg were famous for their engines and their race cars. You are confusing dusenberg's sister makes in E.L. Cord's Cord Auburn Duesenberg Automobile Co. The Cord definitely used Lycoming engines in their cars and I believe so did Auburn. The Lycoming Engine company was one of the companies comprising E.L. Cord's conglomerate in the 1930's, which was also into aviation and finance as well.
Augie Duesenberg designed the engines but they were built by Lycoming.

"In 1907, Demorest was restructured and named the Lycoming Foundry and Machine Company, focusing on the design and manufacture of engines. Over the next 25 years, 57 Lycoming engine models powered over 250 different automobiles, including the venerable Cord, Auburn, and Duesenberg. The Js and SJs in particular were made by Lycoming."

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/duesenberg-cars1.htm

Lycoming made the engines for the big famous Duesenbergs. I've seen one reference that by the time the Js and SJs came out, Duesenberg didn't even have an engine department.

orconn
04-03-08, 10:20 AM
Thanks Koz, I stand corrected! I have never seen this info on Duesenberg before, but it does make sense given Cord's integration of his companies.

dkozloski
04-03-08, 12:44 PM
Thanks Koz, I stand corrected! I have never seen this info on Duesenberg before, but it does make sense given Cord's integration of his companies.
It surprised me when I first ran across it.